Montreal Canadiens 2021-2022 training camp

alfredoh2009

On 10/22/2016 at 10:02 AM, dlbalr said:

Personally, I'd have claimed Goloubef from Columbus yesterday, more of a puck moving complement that could in theory play with Emelin on the right side.

Congrats Brian, you've finally gotten your wish.  i.e. Habs signed Goloubef to a PTO!!

I had to do a search to see if that had been mentioned, and I found that old post.  The puck moving comment probably explains why they gave him a PTO.  Still, it really doesn't make much sense, even taking that into consideration.  

18 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Congrats Brian, you've finally gotten your wish.  i.e. Habs signed Goloubef to a PTO!!

I had to do a search to see if that had been mentioned, and I found that old post.  The puck moving comment probably explains why they gave him a PTO.  Still, it really doesn't make much sense, even taking that into consideration.  

I believe it is a look-see for the possibility of another veteran for the Rocket blueline ... if all goes well maybe a 7D if the Habs have an injury and need a body to be on the roster and available in an emergency ... unless he (unexpectedly IMO) plays well enough to earn a game or two in the event of need.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I believe it is a look-see for the possibility of another veteran for the Rocket blueline ... if all goes well maybe a 7D if the Habs have an injury and need a body to be on the roster and available in an emergency ... unless he (unexpectedly IMO) plays well enough to earn a game or two in the event of need.

Ya, for sure, it would have to be for AHL purposes.  He's 31 and has never really been successful at the NHL level.  My 1st thought when I saw the news was what the who?  I had no idea who he was, and know there is really no room for another dman on the Habs.  Guhle and Norlinder are likely better NHLers than Goloubef.  Maybe they think he can help develop other young dmen into puck moving dmen?  It just seemed odd that its a PTO vs signed with Laval or a 2 way deal, with the intention on keeping him in Laval.   i.e. they didnt even risk signing him to Laval, like he might not be good enough for their AHL team. 

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Well Brook is out at least 3 months.

Norlinder is NHL or SHL

Guhle is NHL or WHL.

These three arent options for Laval early in the year so if goloubef impresses there is an ahl spot for him.

Indeed. Or The Rocket could sign Gustafsson. 😄

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Well Brook is out at least 3 months.

Norlinder is NHL or SHL

Guhle is NHL or WHL.

These three arent options for Laval early in the year so if goloubef impresses there is an ahl spot for him.

What happened to Brook? I wouldn't be upset to see Norlinder in Montreal, but I would hate for them to rush Guhle. Since he played very little last season another season in the NHL would be best for his development. 

9 hours ago, PMAC said:

What happened to Brook? I wouldn't be upset to see Norlinder in Montreal, but I would hate for them to rush Guhle. Since he played very little last season another season in the NHL would be best for his development. 

Lower-Body surgery is the official report.  I think its a knee injury.

I don't think they will rush Guhle, I think he'll go back to the WHL. 

Norlinder didn't impress in rookie camp, the offence is there, but the defensive game isn't.  He's probably back to the SHL. 

I was more just making the point that neither guy can play in the AHL until really late in the season if their SHL/WHL teams are eliminated early. 

Just now, Longstreet said:

They better not rush Norlander or Guhle after all the KK backlash. Let them marinate a bit. Romanov needs to elevate this year to help fill the void created by the Weber loss.

Norlinder is 21 years old with 3 years of playing hockey in Sweden against men.

KK was 18 years old and playing in the NHL just months after his 18th birthday. 

Let's stop comparing the two situations, they are not the same. 

Norlinder should be judged based on if Norlinder is ready and not on what happened with KK or anyone else. 

Norlinder is older today than Romanov was in January when he made the team.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Goloubef was a depth NHL player back then.  He's more of a depth AHL player now but with Brook out and (I think) one veteran slot available, he'd certainly help in Laval.

Ylonen is on the Habs TC roster but:

Newly hired coach fired ... player banned from training camp ... CBJs are taking covid seriously.

Wonder if Ylonen will actually allowed to attend camp?

23 hours ago, Commandant said:

Norlinder is 21 years old with 3 years of playing hockey in Sweden against men.

KK was 18 years old and playing in the NHL just months after his 18th birthday. 

Let's stop comparing the two situations, they are not the same. 

Norlinder should be judged based on if Norlinder is ready and not on what happened with KK or anyone else. 

Norlinder is older today than Romanov was in January when he made the team.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Way too much focus on past players’ trajectories than individual attention to each prospect as required.

They are all unique, need to be treated as such.

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Newly hired coach fired ... player banned from training camp ... CBJs are taking covid seriously.

No, he won’t be allowed to attend NHL camp.

17 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

No, he won’t be allowed to attend NHL camp.

Has that been formally announced?

They let ylonen attend Rookie Camp, so I assume they will let him attend NHL Camp. 

The issue will be what they do with Ylonen.  With the Government Rules on quarantine if you enter the country unvaxxed, he will have to either stay in Canada or Quarantine everytime the Rocket have a US Road Trip. This means he will miss a minimum of 30% of games. 

If other rinks follow the Buffalo example (all persons inside the rink must be double vaxxed as of October 30th) then he wouldn't even be allowed to play games in certain rinks and that 30% could rise sharply. 

The Habs may have to see if a team in Finland will take him, but again this isn't the ideal development path they want for him.  They have already shown by their decisions to keep him in the AHL last year, that they want him developping here if all things are equal. The threat of missed games may change that though. 

He's hurting his own development and hockey career because he won't get the vaccine is the bottom line here.

Elsewhere:

The NHLPA is filing a grievance on Rinaldo.  There are strict COVID restrictions on teams, but not attending camp isn't part of the rules.  Wonder how the arbitrator will rule on this.   The team can say look, he's not good enough to make our team and we sent him to AHL camp early. 

The Islanders also have an unnamed unvaccinated player.  Lou Lamoriello is not letting him attend camp or play in the AHL/NHL, they are trying to find him a European team who will take him.  We probably will learn who it is when we see the players missing from Isles practices, or at worst when he is sent overseas. 

Detroit is letting Tyler Bertuzzi (who is unvaccinated) attend camp but he won't be allowed to travel to/play in Canada.  He'll be suspended without pay for those games missed.  I suspect the plan is basically the same for Ylonen - he can play in Canada but not travel to any of the US games.

It's being reported that one of Ylonen's family member (or relative?) had some kind of severe reaction to the vaccine and this is why he is not taking it. But I'm sure this is not the end of the story ...

24 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It's being reported that one of Ylonen's family member (or relative?) had some kind of severe reaction to the vaccine and this is why he is not taking it. But I'm sure this is not the end of the story ...

I've seen that (although not from mainstream media) ... some reports indicate that the issue in his family was in the past with a vaccine other than Covid ... hopefully a reliable source will address it ... 

49 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Confirmed by is.fi, which did the original interview with Ylonen earlier today.

"The rules changed so that without vaccination the season would have become difficult," said Ylonen. "I discussed this with the team. They did not pressure me, though, it was my decision."

12 hours ago, GHT120 said:

It's horrible. Have we really come this far?

24 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

It's horrible. Have we really come this far?

His employer (CBJ) has a COVID policy to ensure safety of other employees. Without a vaccine he is effectively unable to play road games in Canada and would lose his salary for those games. As it is, he is not being dismissed or penalized, only being reassigned to the AHL where he may be able to play more games. If he doesn't like this assignment, he does have the option of asking his employer to terminate his contract, allowing him to choose a different line of work.

No one is forcing him to get vaccinated, he can make his own choices. Maybe he'll even enjoy playing in the AHL with a near-NHL salary, as Alzner reputedly did.

• Upvote 1