Montreal Canadiens 2021-2022 training camp

alfredoh2009

12 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Did you seriously drop a Washington post opinion piece??

I think this has gone sufficiently off-topic for a training camp thread. If you want to continue this discussion, please take it to the off-topic lounge.

Nice to hear ... but, it's training camp

7 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think this has gone sufficiently off-topic for a training camp thread. If you want to continue this discussion, please take it to the off-topic lounge.

Fyi

I already moved on as evidenced from by latest multiple posts... you should be reaching out to others who have continuied the topic I didn't start by the way

40 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Fyi

I already moved on as evidenced from by latest multiple posts... you should be reaching out to others who have continuied the topic I didn't start by the way

The "you" in my post includes everyone who engaged in this off-topic discussion. It's finished in this forum, including meta-discussion. Let's return to the training camp discussions.

On 9/23/2021 at 7:03 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Alberta ICU's are pretty much full (yes Kenney messed up) and most of those clogging up the ICU's are unvaccinated people which means others who need surgeries have to wait. Yes there is a right to choose but not getting a vaccine has an effect on others. 

Alberta’s Covid plan this summer seemed to be built around ensuring they could go ahead with the Calgary stampede.  I was supposed to get my knee scoped next month, but thanks to the mess we are in, it’s been canceled due to the strain and capacity limits resulting from Covid. 

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Hopefully we will see Drouin in action in tomorrow night's game.

Yeah, be nice to see him, but I’m not going to get excited about how he or others do in training camp - right now it’s just a chance to see who is m good shape and get some idea about chemistry. I remember after the horrible Chelios trade everyone got all excited by how good Savard looked in training camp. Once they season got past the one month mark. It just reaffirmed what a lousy trade that was.

our Season reat

on how well Suzuki, Caufield, Dvorak and the D play in December, and which version of Price we get.

Practice stuff may not mean a ton and proof will come in October, but still nice to see this;

"Laser-focused Jonathan Drouin turns heads at Canadiens' training camp."

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, be nice to see him, but I’m not going to get excited about how he or others do in training camp ...

Agreed ... on the other hand, elements of the media/fanbase would likely go to the opposite extreme of the spectrum if JD was missing the net on every shot ... the nature of the beast

17 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, be nice to see him, but I’m not going to get excited about how he or others do in training camp - right now it’s just a chance to see who is m good shape and get some idea about chemistry.

That’s exactly what I want to see — what kind of shape is Drouin in. It’s not the regular season but given his struggles this is an important first step.

On 9/24/2021 at 9:54 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, be nice to see him, but I’m not going to get excited about how he or others do in training camp - right now it’s just a chance to see who is m good shape and get some idea about chemistry. I remember after the horrible Chelios trade everyone got all excited by how good Savard looked in training camp. Once they season got past the one month mark. It just reaffirmed what a lousy trade that was.

our Season reat

on how well Suzuki, Caufield, Dvorak and the D play in December, and which version of Price we get.

Preseason, LOL. Remember that year (was it 1998?) when the Habs were 1st overall in preseason standings and everyone got excited as all get-out? Naturally once the real puck dropped the team sucked balls. Preseason and training camp mean next to nothing except for the 2-3 players who might have a chance to make the team in any given year. 

9 hours ago, DON said:

Did anyone watch this? I'm hoping it might have been better hockey than last night's game!

P.S. I note that Niku is not there yet, either not yet in the camp or at least not ready to play yet.

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Preseason, LOL. Remember that year (was it 1998?) when the Habs were 1st overall in preseason standings and everyone got excited as all get-out? Naturally once the real puck dropped the team sucked balls. Preseason and training camp mean next to nothing except for the 2-3 players who might have a chance to make the team in any given year. 

100% agree. I’d also add that a 7-0, or a hot start in October also means zilch, other than improve odds of racking enough points at start to miss playoffs (which we have done, as have other teams like Buffalo). Flip side having a brutal start does dig a deep hole ti get out of.

Key things I’m looking for this year to get a better idea of what we have are the following - training camp is not going to be the time to get answers to these questions):

1. Will Suzuki finally be the legit #1 centre we have been waiting to get for over 2 decades (koivu was close, but injuries, and illness prevented him from reaching his full potential)?

2. Will Caufield show more signs of being a future superstar?

3. Is Romanov going to take a step forward and be at least a top 4, and will another young dman become the missing puck mover we need?

4. Will Dvorak actually be a the top 2 centre we need?

5. Can Drouin finally be consistently good and a difference maker for a whole year? 
6. Which Price are we going to see - last year regular season Price, or the playoff Price (last, but probably most important question)?

If all of these are positive answers, we have a chance at the playoffs - otherwise we probably miss.  

none of these will be answered in the pre-season, so all I’m looking for now, is guys being healthy and showing they came back ready to play.

Caufield slipped or spun out during warm up, hope just a very minor tweek of lower body something. (maybe he was hurt before and simply testing it out pre-game?)

Roy again looked good around the net and slick goal, thought he might stick around for another game or two.

Poehling looked better, from what i saw anyways.

1 hour ago, DON said:

... Roy again looked good around the net and slick goal, thought he might stick around for another game or two ...

Agree he looked good ... Sherbrooke's regular season starts Saturday ... don't think he was ever slated to stay any longer.

I watched the Toronto game and the Red vs Blue scrimmage

There are so many new players that I had trouble following the rookies and AHLers I wanted to check.

Badock stood out for me. Not a call up, but someone I am happy will be in the AHL protecting our prospects. Also, he seems to be good enough to play limited minutes on a fourth line if we need muscle.

I liked Joshua Roy (of course) and Armia was dominant for a scrimmage game, seemed to be having fun. Primeau seemed to be passive and deep on his net.

Belzile and Dauphin (two I was checking) were disappointing, Perrault seemed slow but Paquette looked good.

Finally, Vejdemo stood out in a good way to me. He seemed to be skating well and to have good positioning and good control of the puck (not dumping unnecessarily). On the other hand, Poehling did not have chemistry with his wingers and even when he made good plays, it looked unimpressive because nothing came of it; I think he will look better with better wingers.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

On the other hand, Poehling did not have chemistry with his wingers and even when he made good plays, it looked unimpressive because nothing came of it;

He did most of work on the goal he did score.

NEW guy.

23 minutes ago, DON said:

He did most of work on the goal he did score.

NEW guy.

I wanted to see more from Poehling, stealing a puck like Plekanec used to do in the first couple of years, or be a beast along the boards like Armia, or be dominant on faceoffs, or show great hands on the O-zone... something to change the conversation on his potential role in Montreal

If it wasen't for the name on the back of the jersey, I could have mistaken him for Vejdemo.

20 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

100% agree. I’d also add that a 7-0, or a hot start in October also means zilch, other than improve odds of racking enough points at start to miss playoffs (which we have done, as have other teams like Buffalo). Flip side having a brutal start does dig a deep hole ti get out of.

Key things I’m looking for this year to get a better idea of what we have are the following - training camp is not going to be the time to get answers to these questions):

1. Will Suzuki finally be the legit #1 centre we have been waiting to get for over 2 decades (koivu was close, but injuries, and illness prevented him from reaching his full potential)?

2. Will Caufield show more signs of being a future superstar?

3. Is Romanov going to take a step forward and be at least a top 4, and will another young dman become the missing puck mover we need?

4. Will Dvorak actually be a the top 2 centre we need?

5. Can Drouin finally be consistently good and a difference maker for a whole year? 
6. Which Price are we going to see - last year regular season Price, or the playoff Price (last, but probably most important question)?

If all of these are positive answers, we have a chance at the playoffs - otherwise we probably miss.  

none of these will be answered in the pre-season, so all I’m looking for now, is guys being healthy and showing they came back ready to play.

I don't think we need ALL of these to hold true. E.g., we didn't need Drouin last season; anything he does is a bonus, really. I also think (4) is highly likely to occur - likely enough that it wouldn't even make my own list of preseason questions.

The others, though, I'd tend to endorse, and to agree that most or even all of them have to happen.