Montreal Canadiens 2021-2022 training camp

alfredoh2009

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

Is be very surprised to see Chiarot playing in the third line. Firat if all I can’t see this coaching staff putting him that low. Secondly, we don’t have the horses, to put ahead of him. I think Two if Chiarot, savard, or Edmondson in the third pair, would be a luxury and a great situation to be in.  I just don’t think we have the guys to bump them down, unless someone really exceeds expectations, or another big trade happens.

I think that you could have 

Edmundson Petry 

as your number 1 pair

and then

Romanov - Savard

Chiarot - Wideman/Niku/Kulak

would be basically 2a/2b playing virtually the same minutes.... 

rather than having Romanov and wideman/Niku/Kulak on the same pair. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Edmundson Petry 

as your number 1 pair

and then

Romanov - Savard

I agree with that sentiment for sure.  i.e. they shouldn't play the 2 worst dmen as pair.  I'd suggest putting either Romanov, Wideman, Kulak or Niku with Petry.  The 2nd pair would be the 2 lesser of Chiarot, Edmundson and Savard.  The 3rd pair could be the better of those 3 with 1 of the 5 that isnt playing with Petry.  Playing the lesser dmen with the better dmen will help protect any of their flaws or gaffs. 

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Edmundson Petry 

as your number 1 pair

and then

Romanov - Savard

Do you think they will play Savard higher, given how Chiarot was used last year?

I’d love it if Romanov could play other Petry. Just don’t think it’s very likely.

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Do you think they will play Savard higher, given how Chiarot was used last year?

I’d love it if Romanov could play other Petry. Just don’t think it’s very likely.

I don't think Savard is higher. 

Like I said, those pairs would be even.  Depending on the opponent and who is playing better that night, would be who gets more minutes.

Team red at practice today, one day before the game in Ottawa. I think team red is the one that will play, right?

what I think are pairs are shown in BOLD:

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson    
Harvey-Pinard-Evans-Armia    
Martel-Dea-Ylonen (Laval top line?)   
Pezzetta-Mysak(Laval or OHL decision?)-Fortin    

in BOLD, who I think is being evaluated:

Guhle-Savard
Niku(first game)-Chiarot
Schueneman-Wideman (not being sheltered by an experienced D)
Amorosa-Goloubef

I think they may try Vejdemo at centre since Paquette is not with team White today

I REALLY want Niku to do well. I’m not optimistic that it will happen, but surely there is at least a viable chance that a 24-year-old guy who has been highly productive in the AHL will prove to be a late bloomer. It’s be great if that long shot paid off because the Habs desperately need a good puck-mover on the back end.

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I REALLY want Niku to do well. I’m not optimistic that it will happen, but surely there is at least a viable chance that a 24-year-old guy who has been highly productive in the AHL will prove to be a late bloomer. It’s be great if that long shot paid off because the Habs desperately need a good puck-mover on the back end.

I hope he finds his game with the Habs, like Mike Rielly has done. He seems to be trending in that direction, hitting bottom just as he gets here.

I like his pedigree and potential more than Wideman's

Team White at practice today, one day before game in Ottawa:

what I think are pairs are shown in BOLD:

Toffoli-Suzuki-Gallagher    
Lehkonen-Poehling🐠 Swim or Sink Ryan 🐟 )-Bourque    
Perreault-Dauphin-Belzile (Laval 2nd?/3rd? line)
Baddock-Beaudin-Vejdemo    

in BOLD, who I think is being evaluated:

Romanov-Petry
Kulak-Fairbrother
Bisson-Xhekaj(Laval D-pair, Xhekaj contract?)
Ouellet-Belpedio(Laval veteran D pair)

Up front,

Gallagher is in Caufield's spot for now. 

The question is does Gallagher go with 

Armia and Evans (is it Lavalagher who is the place holder)

or 

Lehkonen and Poehline (is it Bourque who is the place holder here). 

I think its Evans, but where Gallagher goes will tell us which centre they think is top 9 and which is the 4th line right now. 

On defence

Niku and Chiarot makes sense.  In his 54 games with Winnipeg, Chiarot is still the most frequent partner that Niku has played with in the NHL, despite Chiarot not even being in Winnipeg the last two years.  He has still has more minutes beside him than beside anyone else.

The question is what happens to Romanov when Edmundson comes back.  Does he stay with Petry, or does Edmundson take that spot. 

Is the placeholder Schueneman (beside Wideman) or Fairbrother (beside Kulak) or Guhle (beside Savard).   And is it Edmundson or Romanov who replaces that placeholder? 

There is likely to be a lot more juggling on the defence, with potentially all three pairs getting changed before the opener, while upfront you can see the lines to start the season have started to come together

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Up front,

Gallagher is in Caufield's spot for now. 

The question is does Gallagher go with 

Armia and Evans (is it Lavalagher who is the place holder)

or 

Lehkonen and Poehline (is it Bourque who is the place holder here). 

I think its Evans, but where Gallagher goes will tell us which centre they think is top 9 and which is the 4th line right now. 

On defence

Niku and Chiarot makes sense.  In his 54 games with Winnipeg, Chiarot is still the most frequent partner that Niku has played with in the NHL, despite Chiarot not even being in Winnipeg the last two years.  He has still has more minutes beside him than beside anyone else.

The question is what happens to Romanov when Edmundson comes back.  Does he stay with Petry, or does Edmundson take that spot. 

Is the placeholder Schueneman (beside Wideman) or Fairbrother (beside Kulak) or Guhle (beside Savard).   And is it Edmundson or Romanov who replaces that placeholder? 

There is likely to be a lot more juggling on the defence, with potentially all three pairs getting changed before the opener, while upfront you can see the lines to start the season have started to come together

I don't think it is as complicated, specially now that you mention Niku and Chiarot have played together. I didn't know that

With everyone healthy:

Edmundson-Petry

Romanov-Savard

Niku-Chiarot

and when clamping down on D, go with two pairs:

Edmundson-Petry

Chiarot-Savard

That makes Kulak and Wideman the 7th and 8th Ds, in that order

I will be more than happy with Kulak rotating with Niku or Romanov (going with the "hot hand") and Wideman being the healthy scratch on most nights

with the minor injuries to Caufield, Hoffman, Paquette and Edmundson , some players that will end up in Laval are still around.

But the team is taking shape in a nice way. I wouild have liked to see Brook and Teasdale play in the pre-season, too bad they were not available due to injury.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

with the minor injuries to Caufield, Hoffman, Paquette and Edmundson , some players that will end up in Laval are still around.

But the team is taking shape in a nice way. I wouild have liked to see Brook and Teasdale play in the pre-season, too bad they were not available due to injury.

We also still have 4 preseason games left, so they don't want to play the full NHL lineup four times.  Some players are around to be filler in at least two of those games. 

We will have to see if Dom wants the regular lineup for 1 game or 2 next week. 

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We also still have 4 preseason games left, so they don't want to play the full NHL lineup four times.  Some players are around to be filler in at least two of those games. 

We will have to see if Dom wants the regular lineup for 1 game or 2 next week. 

I want Kulak, Niku and Wideman to play as many games as possible.

I hope they only play the regular Ds enough for their game shape.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Vejdemo is a bit of a surprise as he was someone I had pegged to be in it for a while.  He'll go on waivers tomorrow.

I thought that he had a decent game tonight.

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Seven more cuts after the game tonight:

I am glad that they kept Pezzetta, Belzile, Harvey-Pinard and Xhekaj a bit longer, they are AHL-level players but it is nice that they are somewhat rewarded for a good camp.

I hope Poehling and Ylonen play the two last games. I want to see them against stronger opposition and playing with more talented linemates.