Montreal Canadiens 2021-2022 training camp

alfredoh2009

I am not sure about the roster/salary cap post above, so I recalculated without adding to the roster:

paper transaction to send Caufield and Romanov to Laval for one day and keeping Belzile, Poehling, Guhle and Norlinder in the roster. Only Weber and Byron on LTIR.

Then on Tuesday, add Price to LTIR and go hunting for waived players.

image.png

I think it's the other way around on the LTIR front - it seems like Price to offseason LTIR is preferable, then Weber/Byron as in-season LTIR.  They also don't have to necessarily hunt for waived players - they're getting Hoffman and Edmundson back within a couple of weeks if things go as planned.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Well, we’ll see what they do. I’ll learn a bit more then

it is confusing 

It really is.  Offseason LTIR is less ideal than regular LTIR so by putting Price in there, they'd get out of it and into regular season LTIR rules (the slightly better one) quicker.  If they put Weber in offseason LTIR, they're stuck in that situation all season long since he won't be back.  I think that's the logic.

On 10/9/2021 at 9:33 PM, dlbalr said:

It really is.  Offseason LTIR is less ideal than regular LTIR so by putting Price in there, they'd get out of it and into regular season LTIR rules (the slightly better one) quicker.  If they put Weber in offseason LTIR, they're stuck in that situation all season long since he won't be back.  I think that's the logic.

Ok, based on your input and the article, if I understand correctly:

1. Caufield, Romanov paper transaction to send them to Laval for one day
  2. Guhle and Norlinder back to their clubs
  3. Only Price on off-season LTIR
  4. after the season starts (Tuesday?) do what TBL did when signing Boo Nieves (TBL signing NIeves to take advantage of slary cap under LTIR)), they'll have just over $1.071M in cap room space
  5. after the season starts, and Habs "boo Tremblay", or equivalent, is signed. Move Byron and Weber to LTIR

image.png

A couple of things on the IR front:

As of today, the Habs have not placed anyone on IR.  I've seen some IR activity retroactive to Saturday so I wondered if they might have tried that with someone like Paquette but it doesn't look like it.

The league has vetoed the demotions of Josh Brook and Joel Teasdale as they were sent down while injured.  Both are SOIR-eligible and won't count against the cap but as of 6:30 PM ET tonight, they're still on the roster which stands at 33 players.

I've seen MacDonald's name pop up a couple of times now.  I have to admit, I'm not that familiar with him but the little I do remember is that he's nothing special as a depth guy.  Obviously, there's something I'm missing as he seems to be a popular pick to be claimed somewhere.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I've seen MacDonald's name pop up a couple of times now.  I have to admit, I'm not that familiar with him but the little I do remember is that he's nothing special as a depth guy.  Obviously, there's something I'm missing as he seems to be a popular pick to be claimed somewhere.

Perhaps driven more by needs across the league than anything particular about him?

Or perhaps a cheap, veteran (in age if not NHL games) 7th defenceman happy to be in the NHL, won't cause any problems?

1 minute ago, DON said:

Guhle sent to WHL

Primeau sent to Laval

Good moves IMO ... I look forward to seeing Guhle at the WJHC after he eats up tons of minutes in all situations on the Prince Albert blueline ... and Primeau needs games, games, games; not butt blisters.

Poehling sent down to "dominate at a lower level"... or to hit "Peter's Principle" : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle