Sept. 25, Habs vs Leafs, 7 PM

dlbalr

The preseason is here as the Habs travel to Toronto for the first of three games against the Maple Leafs in the preseason.

GALLERY_NHL_MON.png

Tyler Toffoli - Nick Suzuki - Cole Caufield

Artturi Lehkonen - Ryan Poehling - Laurent Dauphin

Mathieu Perreault - Cedric Paquette - Alex Belzile

Brandon Baddock - J-C Beaudin - Lukas Vejdemo

Alexander Romanov - Jeff Petry

Brett Kulak - Gianni Fairbrother

Xavier Ouellet - Arber Xhekaj

Cayden Primeau

Michael McNiven

GALLERY_NHL_TOR.png

Michael Bunting - John Tavares - Josh Ho-Sang
Ilya Mikheyev - Alex Kerfoot - William Nylander
Nicholas Robertson - Michael Amadio - Jason Spezza
Richard Clune - Semyon Der-Arguchintsev - Kurtis Gabriel

Jake Muzzin - Timothy Liljegren
Rasmus Sandin - T.J. Brodie
Filip Kral - Alex Biega

Michael Hutchinson
Ian Scott

Puck drop is at 7 PM on Sportsnet One, RDS, and the NHL Network.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

... really interested in the development of Poehling and "if" he can replace KK seamlessly.

That will be interesting ... technically/literally, based on the 20-21 regular season that bar is not terribly high ... 7g, 22a for 82 games ... especially given the quality of wingers the 3C will get ... long-term is a different question. 

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Interesting that they have Vejdemo playing wing to Beaudin (recently arrived from the Baby Sens).

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that's a bit odd.  I know Beaudin is primarily a centre (and a pretty good one for an AHL depth guy) but Vejdemo at centre is where he'd likely be needed the most.  On the other hand, they already know what he can do there and want to see him on the wing as with Hoffman likely starting on IR, he's someone that all of a sudden has a chance to break camp as the 23rd skater.

28 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am curious about Arber Xhekaj mainly because I have never ever heard of him. 

A rookie camp tryout from Kitchener of the OHL.  Didn't play last year but was really good in Kitchener's training camp early.  Big, old-school defenceman - he can hit but he's slow.  Didn't look good on the Muzzin goal either.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Dvorak and Armia are playing. Beaudin and Baddock are not.

No, Beaudin and Baddock are definitely in.  The NHL scoresheet has it wrong.  They have Arvid Henrikson in for the Habs - he's not even at camp.

Armia is listed as 42 - that's actually Vejdemo

Dvorak is listed as 86 - that's actually Beaudin

Henrikson is listed as 81 - that's actually Baddock

Hmm, the Habs don't look terrible, but they don't look good either.

Their PP is sorta concerning considering it is basically their NHL roster PP out there vs Leafs AHL PK. 

Premieux didn't look bad.  He looked shaky in numerous of his NHL starts last year, and he doesnt have that same look in this game.  He seemed to have a lot more confidence. 

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'm not sure if the two teams have agreed to this but every preseason game can have a shootout at the end of it if both teams agree to do so beforehand.  Just something to keep in mind once the buzzer sounds.

RDS advised that it was just announced that there will be a shootout regardless of the results ... would it be too obvious to make Poehling one of the shooters?

Well, that was tough to watch.  Caufield's getting the misfires out of the way early on, at least.

I like what I see from Fairbrother so far.  He's keeping up well with the pace and playing a decent game as far as the prospects go. 

54 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Well, that was tough to watch.  Caufield's getting the misfires out of the way early on, at least.

That 3 on 0 was painful to watch.

Nice goal by Toffoli to ruin the shutout though.

Too bad Dvorak isnt in the game, I can't wait to see him to be in a shootout. 

Aside from the ugly giveaway that led to the fourth goal, McNiven looked pretty good.  The fourth line was a bit better in the third and it was good to see Vejdemo come back from the hit from Clune in the 1st that sent him to the room.

Really only 1 or 2 guys who are in "battles" for spots tonight.

Paquette looked like a fourth line centre, no more.  Hes good on the forecheck but there wasnt much in terms of skill.

Just one game but Poehling looked ok offensively but completely lost defensively.  He needs to be a lot better to make the team.

35 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Just one game but Poehling looked ok offensively but completely lost defensively.  He needs to be a lot better to make the team.

In Poehling’s defence, much of the team looked completely lost defensively!

McNiven and Primeau were both decent, it could have been much uglier yet.

28 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

In Poehling’s defence, much of the team looked completely lost defensively!

McNiven and Primeau were both decent, it could have been much uglier yet.

True but what guys like dauphin, xheraj, belzile, vejdemo, beaudin, etc look like im not too worried about.  They are surely laval bound.

What guys like suzuki, toffoli, caufield, lehkonen look like im also not concerned with.  They can ramp things up closer to the season.

I was more just looking at the paquette/poehling battle as i think they are competing (with evans) for the 3rd and 4th C spots.  Maybe perreault too.