Sept. 25, Habs vs Leafs, 7 PM

dlbalr

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

True but what guys like dauphin, xheraj, belzile, vejdemo, beaudin, etc look like im not too worried about.  They are surely laval bound.

What guys like suzuki, toffoli, caufield, lehkonen look like im also not concerned with.  They can ramp things up closer to the season.

I was more just looking at the paquette/poehling battle as i think they are competing (with evans) for the 3rd and 4th C spots.  Maybe perreault too.

It’s a good point. But in a game as chaotic as this one I found it difficult to really evaluate individual performances. Certainly in the first two periods there was no system at all.

8 hours ago, DON said:

The Xhekaj guy seemed to do OK.

Not drafted by the OHL teams. Played GOJHL instead, signed with Kitchener as a free agent. Worked hard to get a regular role with the Rangers. Missed all of last season due to COVID (like all other OHL players). Not drafted by the NHL teams.

If he gets signed to an AHL contract, I think he'll take that as a win. Whatever his skill level, I do think this kid has character.

https://kitchenerrangers.com/article/from-ohl-free-agent-to-legit-nhl-prospect

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:
13 hours ago, DON said:

The Xhekaj guy seemed to do OK.

Not drafted by the OHL teams. Played GOJHL instead, signed with Kitchener as a free agent. Worked hard to get a regular role with the Rangers. Missed all of last season due to COVID (like all other OHL players). Not drafted by the NHL teams.

If he gets signed to an AHL contract, I think he'll take that as a win. Whatever his skill level, I do think this kid has character.

https://kitchenerrangers.com/article/from-ohl-free-agent-to-legit-nhl-prospect

I didn't really notice him, but I wasn't paying super close attention either.  I did see his 1 penalty.

How big is he?  Numerous sites list different #'s for him, but they all seem to say he's large.  I've seen his height listed as 6'3" or 6'4" and weight 205 lbs up to 225 lbs.  The differences could be explained by him growing and inch and gaining 10-15 lbs of muscle over the last several years.  Either way, even his low #'s make him a decent size and it sounds like he has a really good work ethic so he could become a solid NHLer. 

Is he even under contract? 

6 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Nope.  He's on an ATO right now so the Habs have to first decide if he's worthy of an NHL entry-level deal.  If not, then they need to figure out if they want to try to sign him to a minor league contract to have him in Laval or Trois-Rivieres (if it's the latter, Xhekaj may rather go back to junior). 

6 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I didn't really notice him, but I wasn't paying super close attention either.  I did see his 1 penalty.

How big is he?  Numerous sites list different #'s for him, but they all seem to say he's large.  I've seen his height listed as 6'3" or 6'4" and weight 205 lbs up to 225 lbs.  The differences could be explained by him growing and inch and gaining 10-15 lbs of muscle over the last several years.  Either way, even his low #'s make him a decent size and it sounds like he has a really good work ethic so he could become a solid NHLer. 

dlbalr wrote;

"Of note, defenceman Arber Xhekaj made it through rookie camp and is the lone non-affiliated skater from there to make it to main camp.  He’ll likely be evaluated for a spot with either AHL Laval or ECHL Trois-Rivieres."