Sept. 27, Toronto vs Montreal, 7 PM

dlbalr

After a tough showing in their preseason opener, the Habs look to get back on track as they host the Maple Leafs in a rematch.

GALLERY_NHL_TOR.png

Nick Ritchie - Adam Brooks - Mitch Marner

Wayne Simmonds - Kirill Semyonov - Ilya Mikheyev

Ondrej Kase - David Kampf - Nikita Gusev
Joey Anderson - Semyon Der-Arguchintsev - Brett Seney

Travis Dermott - Morgan Rielly

Carl Dahlstrom - Justin Holl

Kristians Rubins - Brennan Menell

Jack Campbell

Petr Mrazek

GALLERY_NHL_MON.png

Jonathan Drouin - Christian Dvorak - Josh Anderson

Rafael Harvey-Pinard - Jake Evans - Joel Armia

Danick Martel - Jean-Sebastien Dea - Jesse Ylonen

Michael Pezzetta - Jan Mysak - Gabriel Bourque

Kaiden Guhle - David Savard

Mattias Norlinder - Ben Chiarot

Corey Schueneman - Chris Wideman

Jake Allen

Kevin Poulin

Puck drop is at 7 PM on RDS, TSN2, TSN4, and the NHL Network.

I am looking forward to seeing Dea and see if there is anything there

I am also looking forward to seeing how close or far Ylonen is from the NHL

Last, can Wideman outplay Guhle and Norlinder? or is he going to play it safe in his first training camp game?

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Last, can Wideman outplay Guhle and Norlinder? 

Guhle is going back to juniors, so Norlinder-Wideman battle it is and seeing how they are 2nd guessing rushing Kotkaniemi, i assume Norlinder will be back in Sweden sooner than later.

But am looking forward to see how these 3 play also.

21 minutes ago, DON said:

Guhle is going back to juniors, so Norlinder-Wideman battle it is and seeing how they are 2nd guessing rushing Kotkaniemi, i assume Norlinder will be back in Sweden sooner than later.

what I meant is that if Wideman is not able to play better than the two kids, I will be dissapointed. He is supposed to and NHLer, and with recent success in the KHL. Ghule has been playing well so far and all eyes are on Norlinder.

I expect Wideman to be at a similar level than Kulak or better.

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am looking forward to seeing Dea and see if there is anything there...

7 pro seasons ... tiny bits of 5 NHL seasons (33 games total) with three different teams (Pittsburgh twice) ... my NHL expectations are low ... but should hopefully be a strong part of the Rocket.

4 hours ago, DON said:

Norlinder is older then KK currently... not sure if we can compare.

Lots of powerplays so it will be interesting to see how they play 5on5 after they kill the 4 minutes 

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That was a better first period than last game.  The Dvorak line has shown some early chemistry which is good to see.

Dvorak's PP goal was textbook.

D'oh, apparently, I should have looked into this earlier.  I was just sitting at my PC and wondered if there is a game on.  Yep.  

I missed the 1st, can't wait to see Dvorak.  Haha, nice, he almost scored on the PK.  

27 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I know it's preseason but that's going to haunt Poulin for a while.  This is probably his one shot at playing at home in a Canadiens uniform and he got a Bronx cheer on multiple occasions following that screw up.

Yep.  It's 1 thing to let in a bad goal, or a SHG, but its another thing to do both.  Like you said, its even worse to be young and French and let in a goal like that at the Bell Center.  The razzing is inevitable.  

Some nice moves by Mysak and Anderson, + Dvorak is looking good.  

51 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I know it's preseason but that's going to haunt Poulin for a while.  This is probably his one shot at playing at home in a Canadiens uniform and he got a Bronx cheer on multiple occasions following that screw up.

12 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Yep.  It's 1 thing to let in a bad goal, or a SHG, but its another thing to do both.  Like you said, its even worse to be young and French and let in a goal like that at the Bell Center.  The razzing is inevitable ...

With Primeau not looking especially good Saturday or yesterday, Poulin had/has an OUTSIDE chance to be the designated sitter (backup) if Price ended up not dressing for the first couple/few games of the season ... at least he bounced back well.

12 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... Some nice moves by Mysak ...

I was wondering whether the talk I recalled of "special status" for guys who played in the AHL last season went anywhere (i.e., non-overage players could be sent to the AHL) ... RDS mentioning the habs have a choice to make whether Mysak goes to Laval or Hamilton (OHL) ... key is whether he can get enough icetime in Laval to make it worthwhile

20 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Yep.  It's 1 thing to let in a bad goal, or a SHG, but its another thing to do both.  Like you said, its even worse to be young and French and let in a goal like that at the Bell Center.  The razzing is inevitable. 

He's not that young.  Poulin is 31.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

With Primeau not looking especially good Saturday or yesterday, Poulin had/has an OUTSIDE chance to be the designated sitter (backup) if Price ended up not dressing for the first couple/few games of the season ... at least he bounced back well.

I was wondering whether the talk I recalled of "special status" for guys who played in the AHL last season went anywhere (i.e., non-overage players could be sent to the AHL) ... RDS mentioning the habs have a choice to make whether Mysak goes to Laval or Hamilton (OHL) ... key is whether he can get enough icetime in Laval to make it worthwhile

Poulin isn't on an NHL contract so they'd need to sign him to have him be the backup in that scenario.  I actually think they signed him to be a taxi squad goalie if there was going to be one, to be the designated sitter.  If not, I don't think he'll see much action unless he goes to Trois-Rivieres.  At this point, McNiven should have the edge if Price isn't available opening night.

Since Mysak played more than 20 games in the AHL, the Habs could send him to Laval.  Trevor Timmins indicated a while back that their intention is to send him back to Hamilton.

I had written off McNiven already more than a year ago, but he has fought back from his season in the wilderness. He'll never be an NHL starter, but there is a lot of territory between that and an ECHL goalie.

Anderson, Dvorak, Armia looked good, but then they should look good, given how many AHL and junior players are on the ice.

Watched 2nd and 3rd.

As expected, Dea didn’t do anything g to be noticed. Irked Ylonen’s game; he is not ready for the NHL but he held his own.

I am disappointed about Wideman. I expected more, especially with so many power plays. Goule and Norlinder were more noticeable.

I had to rewind the Game and look for Savard to see how he was playing; he said post-game that he was still learning the system and going through the repetitions to make sure he is ready for the season. I’ll give him some slack, but sheesh!

Evans-Armia were good, Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson were great !

and Pezzetta had the game of his young career 

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

... Since Mysak played more than 20 games in the AHL, the Habs could send him to Laval.  Trevor Timmins indicated a while back that their intention is to send him back to Hamilton.

I like the idea of him dominating in Hamilton ... rather than being good in Laval