October 1, Canadiens vs Senators

alfredoh2009

Canadiens' projected lineup:

Niku (IMO) made an OK "offensive play" in going down the boards and throwing the puck towards the front of the Sens ... but was VERY, VERY SLOW in trying to get back into defensive position not the Sens first goal.

Niko with a poor decision to pinch ... the Sen was much. much closer to the puck ... unfortunately he is showing what DD doesn't want to see.

Per RDS, Niku not back for the 2nd following the perfectly legal, non-boarding, hit by Norris

🙄

Well, one team came to play tonight.  Unfortunately, it wasn't the Habs.

I must say, I'm underwhelmed again with Poehling.  For someone who is trying to play himself onto the team, he sure isn't doing anything to get noticed.  His linemates Vejdemo and Belzile have been much more involved in the play.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

I must say, I'm underwhelmed again with Poehling.  For someone who is trying to play himself onto the team, he sure isn't doing anything to get noticed.  His linemates Vejdemo and Belzile have been much more involved in the play.

Agree on both points ... Habs have dressed (IKO) 6 skaters that I expected entering camp to make the team (

Drouin, Dvorak, Evans, Armia, Savard and Chiarot ... don't know Ottawa's roster well enough, but suspect they have a few more dressed ... and that the situation will be the opposite tomorrow night ... ***NOT*** that it is in any way an excuse for the Habs poor performance ... there is, with rare exception, a distinct lack of hustle and intensity for the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agree on both points ... Habs have dressed (IKO) 6 skaters that I expected entering camp to make the team (

Drouin, Dvorak, Evans, Armia, Savard and Chiarot ... don't know Ottawa's roster well enough, but suspect they have a few more dressed ...

I could see about 13 or 14 of Ottawa's skaters making the opening roster.

48 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Is Poehling still exempt from waiver - I sure the hell hip he is!

37 minutes ago, DON said:

Any opinion on Poehling"s play, i just saw bit of game?

Bad.  He wasn't engaged in the play, was outplayed by his linemates, and had a pathetic effort in the shootout.

8 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Is Poehling still exempt from waiver - I sure the hell hip he is!

He is for this season.

I'm surprised Dvorak didn't do better on his SO attempt.  

Evans almost scored top corner.  

Poehling's shot was the worst of all shooters.  He definitely didn't have a strong game, but considering the Habs lost 7-2 it can be said that almost none of them played a good game.  

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Niko with a poor decision to pinch ... the Sen was much. much closer to the puck ... unfortunately he is showing what DD doesn't want to see.

Niku did get a shot on goal on the play -- one of the relatively few the Habs got on PP. And the pinching play would have likely been OK, had Anderson stayed at the blue line, but he skated for the net after Niku had pinched.

I hated Savard's game, he was all over the ice like  a chicken without head.... but hopefully he is still adjusting and trying out stuff.

I hope Niku can play on Saturday

Savard looks like a useless pickup. He brings zero to the D. I have a hard time visioning him as out 6th dman. Guhle is miles ahead of him already. Wideman is only useful on PP. He fits there well but again, his work in his own hl of the ice and on the backcheck is terrible. I would rather see Norlinder and Guhle  as our 5 and 6 at this point. In game 1 even the tryout X Factor looked better.

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hated Savard's game, he was all over the ice like  a chicken without head.... but hopefully he is still adjusting and trying out stuff.

I hope Niku can play on Saturday

He adjusted himself out of a spot in Columbus and T Bay. His game is on a serious decline over the last few year and may have gone off the cliff. Look at his stats over the last 7 seasons and they don't lie. He is too slow for the NHL. Imagine what McDavid will do to him? How bad does a player really have to be to be a minus 8 on the top team in the league?

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I wouldnt read much into vet-d preseason play. He isnt fighting for a spot and more or less practice.

But, at least Wideman and Drouin had 2a each, one of few positives on paper about that game it seems.

2 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

He adjusted himself out of a spot in Columbus and T Bay. His game is on a serious decline over the last few year and may have gone off the cliff. Look at his stats over the last 7 seasons and they don't lie. He is too slow for the NHL. Imagine what McDavid will do to him? How bad does a player really have to be to be a minus 8 on the top team in the league?

I wouldn't say he played his way off either team.  Columbus was in full sell mode and he played well enough with them to still land a first-round pick from Tampa Bay at the deadline.  Tampa let him go this summer because they couldn't afford to keep him, just like Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow.  He could have played 25 minutes a game for the Lightning, there was still no way he was staying there.

He had an rough night.  It happens.  I'll wait to judge him until he's actually in the role he's supposed to be playing, not the top pairing one he had by default last night.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Niku did get a shot on goal on the play -- one of the relatively few the Habs got on PP. And the pinching play would have likely been OK, had Anderson stayed at the blue line, but he skated for the net after Niku had pinched.

Not the play I was referring to ... earlier I said:

Niku (IMO) made an OK "offensive play" in going down the boards and throwing the puck towards the front of the Sens ... but was

VERY, VERY SLOW in trying to get back into defensive position not the Sens first goal.            

which may be the one you are thinking of ... the post you cited was a later play where the puck went to the boards just above the face-off circle, Niku pinched but the Sen reached the puck and had moved it up ice past Niku before Sami was even close to the puck