Habs claim Samuel Montembeault from Florida

dlbalr

The Habs have added some goalie depth with the claiming of Samuel Montembeault off waivers from Florida.

http://www.habsworld.net/2021/10/habs-claim-samuel-montembeault-from-florida/

He was on my radar to be claimed later in camp if Price wasn't ready to go (him being waived yesterday put an end to that though) so I'm not entirely surprised with the claim though it makes me a bit worried about Price.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The Habs have added some goalie depth with the claiming of Samuel Montembeault off waivers from Florida.

http://www.habsworld.net/2021/10/habs-claim-samuel-montembeault-from-florida/

He was on my radar to be claimed later in camp if Price wasn't ready to go (him being waived yesterday put an end to that though) so I'm not entirely surprised with the claim though it makes me a bit worried about Price.

We need center and d depth and their adding a  gaoldtender . Who's the top pick in this year's draft🤔

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

... though it makes me a bit worried about Price.

The Habs have a history of either poorly estimating Price's return from injury ... or perhaps outright lying.

Primeau has not shown he deserves to play if Price is out for any length of time ... McNiven has played well but doesn't have the history to inspire confidence to give Allen a night off if/when needed ... this gives them a chance to evaluate Samuel in-person and pick between the lesser of three evils ... *** IF *** necessary.

14 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

We need center and d depth and their adding a  gaoldtender . Who's the top pick in this year's draft🤔

You can only claim those who are placed on waivers ... I have never understood the "they added X when they need a Y" complaint ... should MB do nothing he thinks might help the team until he addresses the greatest need(s)?

And, IMO, they don't need "d depth" ... they need a legit 2nd pairing quality PMD ... Petry & presumably Edmundson are clearly the top pairing ... a PMD with Chiarot or Savard allows the other to pair with Romanov ... that would allow Romanov to continue to develop on the 3rd pairing but with more minutes than last season, so the 2nd/3rd pairings could take some load off Petry's pairing.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

You can only claim those who are placed on waivers ... I have never understood the "they added X when they need a Y" complaint ... should MB do nothing he thinks might help the team until he addresses the greatest need(s)?

And, IMO, they don't need "d depth" ... they need a legit 2nd pairing quality PMD ... Petry & presumably Edmundson are clearly the top pairing ... a PMD with Chiarot or Savard allows the other to pair with Romanov ... that would allow Romanov to continue to develop on the 3rd pairing but with more minutes than last season, so the 2nd/3rd pairings could take some load off Petry's pairing.

If a waiver pickup is backing up Allen, because Price id hurt more badly, we are done, unless it’s meant to be for just 3-4 games.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The Habs have a history of either poorly estimating Price's return from injury ... or perhaps outright lying.

Primeau has not shown he deserves to play if Price is out for any length of time ... McNiven has played well but doesn't have the history to inspire confidence to give Allen a night off if/when needed ... this gives them a chance to evaluate Samuel in-person and pick between the lesser of three evils ... *** IF *** necessary.

Yeah, I agree about Premieau. He needs to play a lot in the AHL for his development. Not worth him sitting on the bench as a backup.

Per Canadiens website ...

image.png

... that might be setting the expectations a bit high (LOL) ... is he even as good as the only other #33 in Habs history ... Richard Sevigny (1980-84)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hahahahahahaaaa, somebody dropped the ball there 😆

but at least be nice ... don't give him #40 ... not much goaltending success for Habs there (Vincent Riendeau, Andre Racicot, Ben Scrivens and Charlie Lindgren)

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

35 it is...not that he'll be there all that long hopefully ...

Not an awful lot of positive Habs goalie history there either ... Andy Moog, Stephane Fiset, Alex Auld, Dustin Tokarski, Charlie Lindgren and Al Montoya.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up trading him once Price is back to whichever team starts the year with a badly performing goaltender and an injury.

Probably get a 4th for him.  Anyhow that's my wild prediction of how this goes. 

8 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up trading him once Price is back to whichever team starts the year with a badly performing goaltender and an injury.

Probably get a 4th for him.  Anyhow that's my wild prediction of how this goes. 

That would surprise me.  The Habs are second-last in waiver priority so the fact they got him means everyone but Tampa Bay passed on him for free so they're not going to trade a draft pick for him a few weeks later.  If Price is ready to go early in the season and they don't want to carry three goalies, Montembeault will be back on waivers before a team can determine if they have an underachieving goalie.  There will be other goalies on waivers between now and then as well.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That would surprise me.  The Habs are second-last in waiver priority so the fact they got him means everyone but Tampa Bay passed on him for free so they're not going to trade a draft pick for him a few weeks later.  If Price is ready to go early in the season and they don't want to carry three goalies, Montembeault will be back on waivers before a team can determine if they have an underachieving goalie.  There will be other goalies on waivers between now and then as well.

Well, this only happens if Price is out for 3 weeks (or more) and Montembeault has time for a couple of good games and some team discovers their goalies suck.  I don't really expect it to happen but it could.

I hope they can keep him in Laval, he would be a better backup to Primeau than Poulin; McNiven would be better served to play starting goalie in Trois-Rivières.

Mountembault would be  good emergency call-up when needed so that Primeau can focus on his game.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

You also can't trade a player you have claimed on waivers without first offering him back to the Panthers (and Tampa if they made a claim) first. 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope they can keep him in Laval, he would be a better backup to Primeau than Poulin; McNiven would be better served to play starting goalie in Trois-Rivières.

Mountembault would be  good emergency call-up when needed so that Primeau can focus on his game.

I think there's a small chance Florida doesn't reclaim him when the time comes.  The problem is they only have three goalies on NHL deals - I know their expected backup in the minors is someone they like but they'd need to convert him to an NHL over the next few days before Montembeault goes back on waivers.

McNiven can't automatically be sent to Trois-Rivieres - he has the power to veto that assignment in his contract.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

You also can't trade a player you have claimed on waivers without first offering him back to the Panthers (and Tampa if they made a claim) first. 

That's always how I interpreted it as well but when Pittsburgh traded Mike Condon to Ottawa not long after claiming him from the Habs without re-waiving him first, it made me wonder if there's something I'm missing even though the rule is pretty cut and dry.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think there's a small chance Florida doesn't reclaim him when the time comes.  The problem is they only have three goalies on NHL deals - I know their expected backup in the minors is someone they like but they'd need to convert him to an NHL over the next few days before Montembeault goes back on waivers.

McNiven can't automatically be sent to Trois-Rivieres - he has the power to veto that assignment in his contract.

That's always how I interpreted it as well but when Pittsburgh traded Mike Condon to Ottawa not long after claiming him from the Habs without re-waiving him first, it made me wonder if there's something I'm missing even though the rule is pretty cut and dry.

I think in the Condon situation, the Habs didn't want him back and no other team had put in a claim during his initial waiver period. 

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think in the Condon situation, the Habs didn't want him back and no other team had put in a claim during his initial waiver period. 

Could be but I always thought the player had to be re-waived and clear before becoming trade eligible, that's where the difference is for me.  Maybe just a behind the scenes phone call is needed to prove that the original team doesn't want him back.

21 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

I thought that the Habs did want Condon back.  This case is one reason why I thought we might trade Mountembault.

After some research ... Condon was then in the second year of a contract that became a one-way deal for that season ... he hadn't really played enough/well enough to establish himself as a NHL goaltender and was VERY costly if he did manage to clear waivers and go to the AHL ... also, Habs had signed Al Montoya that summer to back up Price ... finally, the St John's net was rather crowded (Danis and Lindgren, with Fucale behind them in the ECHL) ... so I doubt they wanted him back 

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

After some research ... Condon was then in the second year of a contract that became a one-way deal for that season ... he hadn't really played enough/well enough to establish himself as a NHL goaltender and was VERY costly if he did manage to clear waivers and go to the AHL ... also, Habs had signed Al Montoya that summer to back up Price ... finally, the St John's net was rather crowded (Danis and Lindgren, with Fucale behind them in the ECHL) ... so I doubt they wanted him back 

Not one of those goalies left in the organization today ...