Habs sign Arber Xhekaj

dlbalr

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Good move.  Hes impressed in camp.  Surprised they went OHL overage option instead of the AHL/ECHL option but he should get big minutes in Kitchener

I don't think that necessarily was a realistic option for him.  With how long he has been off, the minors wouldn't be ideal from a development standpoint - he needs big minutes and he wasn't getting that in Laval or Trois-Rivieres.  I think Kitchener was the right call given the situation.

• Like 1

Good on the kid -- he's worked hard to get to this point, being drafted neither in the OHL or the NHL. Whether he can make it to the NHL is still a big question mark but it's not inconceivable.

• Like 1

well deserved for believing in himself and working to earn the contract. I wish other, more talented, prospects would have the same drive

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

well deserved for believing in himself and working to earn the contract. I wish other, more talented, prospects would have the same drive

Most of them grow up privileged these days, and don’t have to work at Costco. Not many Guy Lafleur, son of a miner stories anymore.

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Most of them grow up privileged these days, and don’t have to work at Costco. Not many Guy Lafleur, son of a miner stories anymore.

Second-generation pro players in particular grow up in a wealthy family -- and some (but certainly not all) have unreasonable expectations of how easy it will be to become an NHL player.