Oct. 5, Montreal vs Toronto, 7 PM

dlbalr

The final week of preseason begins the way the preseason started with a trip to Toronto.

GALLERY_NHL_MON.png

Toffoli - Suzuki - Drouin
Armia - Evans - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Poehling - Harvey-Pinard
Bourque - Perreault - Belzile

Chiarot - Wideman
Guhle - Savard
Romanov - Fairbrother

Montembeault

GALLERY_NHL_TOR.png

Ritchie -Semyonov - Marner
Mikheyev - Tavares - Nylander
Gusev- Brooks -Amadio
Seney - Der-Arguchintsev - Gabriel

Rielly - Brodie
Dahlstrom - Liljegren
Menell - Rubins

Mrazek 

Puck drop is at 7 PM.

What is chance Guhle plays next week, zero?

Given log jam of 3rd pairing d-men, 30minutes/gm in WHL, possibly captaining world junior experience would trump fast tracking him for 9+gms.

Or, would a 1 to 9gm NHL test be a real possibility?  

I think the 9 game test is a real possibility. Especially with Edmundson not having played a single pre-season game yet.

I could see them starting the season with 

Romanov - Petry

Chiarot - Wideman

Guhle - Savard

Kulak

And then likely send him down when Edmundson comes back.

I don't think thats the worst thing for him to see the NHL regular season and how much faster and more intense it is for a few games. He needs to spend the vast majority of the season in junior though. 

37 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think the 9 game test is a real possibility. Especially with Edmundson not having played a single pre-season game yet.

I could see them starting the season with 

Romanov - Petry

Chiarot - Wideman

Guhle - Savard

Kulak

I don't think thats the worst thing for him to see the NHL regular season and how much faster and more intense it is for a few games. He needs to spend the vast majority of the season in junior though. 

Completely agree ... from some reports he may well be capable of meeting the defensive responsibilities of the NHL already ... but havng the opportunity to dominate at a lower level is never a bad thing for a player's development ... and the WHL will be a better environment for him to further develop his offensive skills.

29 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Hoping Poehling shows some urgency in his game tonight.

Agree ... he needs to be "moving his feet", needs to play good defence and needs to win his fair share (or more) of puck battles ... a goal(s) or an assist(s) would be nice but not worth much to his chances of making the Habs without the first three.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I forgot about this.

How soon is he supposed to be back, any updates recently on his injury?

15 minutes ago, DON said:

I forgot about this.

How soon is he supposed to be back, any updates recently on his injury?

Not getting any worse, not really getting any better.  At this point, unless he gets better over the next few days, I'd peg it as more likely than not that Guhle breaks camp as a result and plays a couple of games as I don't think they really want to use Kulak.

11 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

That potential dominant 3rd line of Armia-Evans-Gallagher looks good so far.

Yup ... although I expect it will end up Toffoli-Evans-Gallagher once Hoffman is healthy ... my thought process is that Gallagher is the most defensively responsible RW and Toffoli is the b best defensive LW ... paired with Evans the could form a solid checking line with enough offensive potential to be problematic for the line being checked ... I see Hoffman taking his spot with Suzuki and Caufield ... those two are good passers, so they can set-up MH, just as Drouin is a good passer who can feed Dvorak and Anderson.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Not getting any worse, not really getting any better.  At this point, unless he gets better over the next few days, I'd peg it as more likely than not that Guhle breaks camp as a result and plays a couple of games as I don't think they really want to use Kulak.

Do we have any idea about the injury ... not getting better but not getting worse makes me think back ... but that may be clouded by personal experience.

So, this is an interesting strategy...how do they evaluate Montembeault in just one game?  Give up 100 shots, that's one way to do it.  Boy, does the D look rough and Montembeault can't corral a rebound to help his cause either.  Fairbrother on his off-side did not look good at all, he keeps gravitating towards the left.  Good time to experiment but he's not ready for that yet.

• Like 1

On the Poehling front, he has been quiet again.  They're giving him a good look this preseason but he's not doing a whole lot with it.  Perreault hasn't been too noticeable at centre either (he had a nice screen on Belzile's goal though).  I wonder how much longer Paquette's going to be out.

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

On the Poehling front, he has been quiet again.  They're giving him a good look this preseason but he's not doing a whole lot with it.  Perreault hasn't been too noticeable at centre either (he had a nice screen on Belzile's goal though).  I wonder how much longer Paquette's going to be out.

Somewhat sad ... last season was a positive and he just isn't taking advantage of the chances he has been given ... a 4C is one thing that it is possible could turn up on waivers between now and the start of the season, or early in the season as minor injuries resolve themselves.

assuming a top 9 of

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield

Drouin - Dvorak - Anderson

Armia - Evans - Gallagher

that leaves (healthy)

Lehkonen - Perreault 

as 2/3rds of the 4th line. 

Paquette and Hoffman hurt. 

so does Belzile make it as the 12th forward?  Is that what we are looking at or am I missing someone?

41 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Somewhat sad ... last season was a positive and he just isn't taking advantage of the chances he has been given ... a 4C is one thing that it is possible could turn up on waivers between now and the start of the season, or early in the season as minor injuries resolve themselves.

Adam Brooks is someone I'm curious to see if the Leafs put on waivers.  He's not a prototypical 4C but I think he could fit on this roster.  There will be a few other intriguing options over the next few days leading up to Monday's opening roster submissions.

38 minutes ago, Commandant said:

so does Belzile make it as the 12th forward?  Is that what we are looking at or am I missing someone?

He has earned that spot as things stand.  I don't think you're missing anyone from your lineup either - the depth is thinning out fairly quickly.

I recorded this game but haven't watched. did I miss anything worth taking the time to watch it or should I delete?

On radio this morning, I heard the top lines were fine, that Belzile earned consideration to stay in Montreal and that the Ds and Montembault were not good.

30 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I recorded this game but haven't watched. did I miss anything worth taking the time to watch it or should I delete?

On radio this morning, I heard the top lines were fine, that Belzile earned consideration to stay in Montreal and that the Ds and Montembault were not good.

Decent summary ... not certain I would waste the time ... I bailed part way through the third out of boredom.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Decent summary ... not certain I would waste the time ... I bailed part way through the third out of boredom.

thanks

The Leafs kept line matching Tavares and Marner lines against the Habs AHL lines, which is a choice if you really want to win a pre-season game, I guess.

Not sure what it does for the AHLers to get embarrassed or what it does for the Leafs to have their stars play against bad competition, but sure. 

• Upvote 1

From what i saw, #20 is horrible in his own end and doesnt seem to know how to defend for crap, but is what i expected and maybe i am being too harsh..Pezzetta had to take penalty because #20 was off chasing butterflies and #36 wasnt any better, but at least he has excuse as a youngster prospect.

I hope Wideman is better than i think he is. Guhle looks safer option but he still looks like could really us more development time.

Poehling had couple good feeds to line mates but besides that seems to be just spinning his wheels like a McCarron did. Still seems bit lost out there. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

From what i saw, #20 is horrible in his own end and doesnt seem to know how to defend for crap, but is what i expected and maybe i am being too harsh..Pezzetta had to take penalty because #20 was off chasing butterflies and #36 wasnt any better, but at least he has excuse as a youngster prospect.

I hope Wideman is better than i think he is. Guhle looks safer option but he still looks like could really us more development time.

Wideman is definitely not a D-first defenceman, but then we already knew that before he was signed.

And yet he was +0 on the night, whereas Romanov (-3) and Fairbrother (-2) bore the brunt of the Toronto scoring. I still think Wideman is credible. And if we want puck-moving D-men, we will always give up some defensive attributes when we play them.

Am very worried every team will key in on Wideman and dump pucks into his corner every chance they get. Hope he isnt M.A.Bergeron bad in own end, but appears not far off in practice games anyways (maybe he is just coasting till real season starts :scared:).

I think Wideman has been a lot better than he's being given credit for her. He's miles ahead of where Gustafsson and MAB were.  He's a legit third pair guy. 

That doesn't mean he'll never make mistakes, but with the right partner I have no issue with him in the lineup.  He's easily beaten out Norlinder.