Bergevin's contract will only be dealt with after the season

GHT120

Announced before Bergevin took the stage at the press conference about Price ... although not own the website link for the presser, Pierre LeBrun mentioned it in the last question of the day ... Marc dodged any implications ... said he just does his job every day to make the team better.

Not certain how Molson can accept Bergevin having control of trades when he may not be back next season ... especially at the deadline ... if the team is fighting for a wildcard spot might he make moves he would not make if locked in for next season ... not a matter of Bergevin's character, just don't like "lame duck" situations

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Announced before Bergevin took the stage at the press conference about Price ... although not own the website link for the presser, Pierre LeBrun mentioned it in the last question of the day ... Marc dodged any implications ... said he just does his job every day to make the team better.

Not certain how Molson can accept Bergevin having control of trades when he may not be back next season ... especially at the deadline ... if the team is fighting for a wildcard spot might he make moves he would not make if locked in for next season ... not a matter of Bergevin's character, just don't like "lame duck" situations

It's a bit more common for GMs than coaches to be in that situation.  There shouldn't be any concern about him trying to make job-saving moves; there were extension talks already with an offer made so he knows there's interest in keeping him around.  It's a matter of money or him not being sure he wants to do another long-term deal.  Neither of those should affect how he approaches roster management this season.

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

No, Marc did not dodge the question. He was very clear in saying that today's focus is Price's heath

He even answered questions about his contract situation despite Paul Wilson saying prior to the Press conference that no questions would be answered.

I am certain how Molson and ergevin are dealing with this. No problem here

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

No, Marc did not dodge the question. He was very clear in saying that today's focus is Price's heath

He even answered questions about his contract situation despite Paul Wilson saying prior to the Press conference that no questions would be answered.

I am certain how Molson and ergevin are dealing with this. No problem here

OBVIOUSLY the most important thing today is Carey's health ... and I agree they have been "dealing with" the contract, but either Molson has not offered enough money and/or term, or Bergevin isn't certain he wants the job ... either way, he (not unexpectedly) dodged the specific question of whether he will be returning ... personally, I don't like someone not under contract for next season making roster/trade decisions ... it is fine that you have no issue ... I do ... and my concern is not Bergevin specific, it would be the same if someone else was GM and their contract was expiring ... however, I am glad they dealt with it so it is not a recurring discussion throuhout the season.

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

OBVIOUSLY the most important thing today is Carey's health ... and I agree they have been "dealing with" the contract, but either Molson has not offered enough money and/or term, or Bergevin isn't certain he wants the job ... either way, he (not unexpectedly) dodged the specific question of whether he will be returning ... personally, I don't like someone not under contract for next season making roster/trade decisions ... it is fine that you have no issue ... I do ... and my concern is not Bergevin specific, it would be the same if someone else was GM and their contract was expiring ... however, I am glad they dealt with it so it is not a recurring discussion throuhout the season.

He did not dodge the question, he answered. He said "It is what it is" "It is business as usual, I will continue looking for ways to improve the team"

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

personally, I don't like someone not under contract for next season making roster/trade decisions ... it is fine that you have no issue ... I do ... and my concern is not Bergevin specific, it would be the same if someone else was GM and their contract was expiring

Is that restricted to just hockey though?  The same could easily be said with any elected official that is in their last year and its unknown if they will win another term and be back.  It can also be said with CEO's or anyone else that has a contract.  That scenario is potentially applicable to so many things that I don't understand that line of thinking.  

I honestly believe that Bergevin wants to make the team better, and not just make himself look better. And not just this year, even if he doesn't have a contract for next year.

It's fine that you have an issue with this ... but I do not. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Is that restricted to just hockey though?  The same could easily be said with any elected official that is in their last year and its unknown if they will win another term and be back.  It can also be said with CEO's or anyone else that has a contract.  That scenario is potentially applicable to so many things that I don't understand that line of thinking.  

It applies to all sports ... as for politicians, they cannot be extended mid-term ... so absent something unusual, they are always in office until the next election ... if a cabinet minister, for example, announced they would not run in the next election I would prefer them to resign ... it would also  apply if I had some "rooting interest" in a corporation with senior management on a term contract ... however, not certain how many of those folks are on fixed term contracts ... just a personal preference.

MB’s team just made the Finals.

I don’t think his future is contingent on getting amazing results this season. He’s got a body of work behind him, for better and worse. And if he suddenly wants to trade Cole Caufield for a solid top-4 veteran blueliner I’d like to think that even that idiot Molson can see what an inept move that’d be.

Not losing sleep over it. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

MB’s team just made the Finals.

I don’t think his future is contingent on getting amazing results this season. He’s got a body of work behind him, for better and worse. And if he suddenly wants to trade Cole Caufield for a solid top-4 veteran blueliner I’d like to think that even that idiot Molson can see what an inept move that’d be.

Not losing sleep over it. 

You think more highly if him than I do. I think the choice for the #1 pick and not reading the current social climate suggested he is prone for approving idiotic and inept moves.

23 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You think more highly if him than I do. I think the choice for the #1 pick and not reading the current social climate suggested he is prone for approving idiotic and inept moves.

Well, I have a slightly heretical view on that pick. IF the Habs provide him with the counselling/support he needs to mature into a decent human being, and IF he fulfils his not-inconsiderable potential as a pure hockey prospect, we may look back on that draft quite differently in five years. But in any case - I’m not a huge Molson fan either.

• 2 weeks later...

Sergio Momesso, TSN690 Habs radio colour commentator, doesn't feel that Bergevin will re-sign (starts at 11:20), the whole segment has interesting opinions about the team but that one caught me by surprise.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Sergio Momesso, TSN690 Habs radio colour commentator, doesn't feel that Bergevin will re-sign (starts at 11:20), the whole segment has interesting opinions about the team but that one caught me by surprise.

That would make some (most?) happy...till new GM is picked.

But, is about time for Bergevin to go anyways isnt it, he had his 8 or 9 yr run without success and still has assembled a pretty weak team (i am thinking my 23rd place prediction wont be too far off?).

It’s been in the news for a while, before Herb Brooks and Momesso, there was Danièle Sauvageau on 98.5 and others at that radio station since

Sauvageau said this on Sept. 30: 

https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/428188/bergevin-et-le-canadien-jai-limpression-quil-est-parti-daniele-sauvageau

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It’s been in the news for a while, before Herb Brooks and Momesso, there was Danièle Sauvageau on 98.5 and others at that radio station since

Sauvageau said this on Sept. 30: 

https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/428188/bergevin-et-le-canadien-jai-limpression-quil-est-parti-daniele-sauvageau

It was that a "semi" Habs employee would say it that caught my attention ... if a team doesn't directly hire announcers they often (usually?) at least have right of refusal ... even if neither, it is unusual for on-air broadcasters to be so direct.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Broadcasters are not semi-employees , that I know off 

McGuire and Dubé are certaintly NOT

and I am certain the TSN 690 is the same 

They aren’t employed by the team. There’s usually a big difference in how team owned/partnered broadcasters are willing to call a spade a spade.  

3 hours ago, DON said:

But, is about time for Bergevin to go anyways isnt it, he had his 8 or 9 yr run without success and still has assembled a pretty weak team (i am thinking my 23rd place prediction wont be too far off?).

Is your criterion for "success" the same as "won the cup"? Because the Habs did get within three games of that, even if they did fall short in the end.

But by this criterion most NHL GMs are unsuccessful.

43 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Is your criterion for "success" the same as "won the cup"? Because the Habs did get within three games of that, even if they did fall short in the end.

But by this criterion most NHL GMs are unsuccessful.

Before the Kracken came into the league, every year it could be said that there was 30 GMs that were failures. 

Maybe we should be hoping for TB to lose the Cup this year for the reason that they will fire their "unsuccessful" GM so he'd be available and the Habs can hire him? 

46 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They aren’t employed by the team. There’s usually a big difference in how team owned/partnered broadcasters are willing to call a spade a spade.  

Maybe "quasi" would have been a better word than "semi" ... TSN690 does have a major advantage in being more independent from the Habs than many stations can be from their local NHL team (TSN1200 has always been very much a "homer" station) in that I don't know that there is another English language station in montreal that could be a viable home for Habs games ... CJAD would be alternative but it is also a BellMedia station, so it isn't bidding.

I won’t cry if he leaves, but he deserves credit for a spectacular job during the 2020 offseason. His handiwork brought us directly to the Finals in 21. Other than that it’s been spotty to be sure. Formally, the jury is still out on this year, but obviously the early returns are not promising.

The problem is, it’s easy to say “fire Bergevin,” because at this point he is competing with an abstraction, i.e., an impeccable hypothetical GM. It all depends on who his successor is.

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The problem is, it’s easy to say “fire Bergevin,” 

Not fire him, but when he walks in April (if happens), just not be too upset about it and then will be wait and see how Damphousse or some other ex hab does when takes the reins.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The problem is, it’s easy to say “fire Bergevin,” because at this point he is competing with an abstraction, i.e., an impeccable hypothetical GM. It all depends on who his successor is.

Roy. Roy will be the next GM.