Bergevin's contract will only be dealt with after the season

GHT120

27 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I most certainly do and it was bad. I think Montreal is due and NO WAY they lose to Detroit tomorrow night. 

Hope the Habs players don't feel that way

32 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I expect the Habs to be a hungry team tomorrow night and if they are not then it's going to be a loooong season. 

They are bound to win one, sooner or later.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I expect the Habs to be a hungry team tomorrow night and if they are not then it's going to be a loooong season. 

I've expected them to be hungry for two games now.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Interesting thought on Mellanby. I would love to see the Habs push back on the French language requirement for GM. Make Lapointe his lieutenant and have him field French-language communications. 

The concern is that Lapointe will leapfrog Mellanby (who, going by this, is the clear heir apparent) just because of Molson’s cowardice re: PR blowback.

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Interesting thought on Mellanby. I would love to see the Habs push back on the French language requirement for GM. Make Lapointe his lieutenant and have him field French-language communications. 

The concern is that Lapointe will leapfrog Mellanby (who, going by this, is the clear heir apparent) just because of Molson’s cowardice re: PR blowback.

Agree, in a perfect world the GM wouldn't have to speak French but the Habs don't live in a perfect world. 

From the stories I've read, apparently Bergevin is not cited as being amongst the 'bad guys" in the report into improper activities with the Blackhawks released today ... I have to wonder if his not having an extension might have something to do with that being the job he wants next season ... in an even more hypothetical world, I have to wonder what Chicago might be willing to give to be able to bring Bergevin onboard to start the rebuild of trust with the fanbase sooner than this summer.

Bergevin was essentially a pro scout at the time, so he was on the road watching other teams and filing reports back in Chicago.  He wasn't in the building and wasn't in the meeting about the issue.  

Even if he heard rumours, he would have been told that McDonagh/Bowman/Chevyldayoff etc... all had a meeting about the issue and dealt with it.  It really wouldn't be his place to question his superiors on it. 

49 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

my guess for next GM is Martin Madden Jr. 

A seldom cited but very logical candidate.

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

A seldom cited but very logical candidate.

He makes sense but I could see Bob Murray being 'promoted' to president and Madden Jr. promoted to GM in Anaheim if the Habs were make a serious run at him.  He is their GM in waiting and Murray's near the end of his career.

Time for new blood. MB's had his chance, the heights of our playoff run aren't repeatable and we're left with the overall mediocrity of the past few regular seasons.  MB assembled a team 'built for the playoffs', and it worked! We had a miracle run (unfortunately without fans in the stands). But without Weber, Danault, and whatever's going on with Carey, we've lost that identity, and we're locked in longterm with a group that's strong on the wings and weak at centre and defence - a losing formula.

The Mailloux pick generated the ill will that could make it easier to let Bergy go after such a strong finish last year. Our drafting and development over the past decade suggests that he's not the man to lead a rebuild. With our bankroll we should be among the top clubs at scouting and development, instead we seem mired in old boy regressiveness. Unfortunately, I think Molson likes the old boy club, so that dampens my optimism for his next hire. 

• 2 weeks later...

On TSN690 this morning Darren Dredger joined my side of the debate when he asked whether the Canadiens can make plans (trades, roster, trade deadline, draft, etc.) for next season and beyond with a GM who has no investment in the team beyond the 2021-22 season.

I think the poor start exacerbates the issue ... not because the GM needs to be fired to turn the season around but because what the Habs do for the rest of the season increasingly impacts a potentially very valuable asset, and whether it is optimized or given away to the Yotes ... their 2021 first round pick.

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

On TSN690 this morning Darren Dredger joined my side of the debate when he asked whether the Canadiens can make plans (trade deadline, draft, etc.) for next season and beyond with a GM who has no investment in the team beyond the 2021-22 season.

I think the poor start exacerbates the issue ... not because the GM needs to be fired to turn the season around but because what the Habs do for the rest of the season increasingly impacts a potentially very valuable asset, and whether it is optimized or given away to the Yotes ... their 2021 first round pick.

That's a fair point. I think that MB has shown that he has been willing to think beyond the current season by accumulating draft picks.  He had no choice with Dvorak, losing KK and Danault forced him to do something down the middle. He couldn't leave Ducharme with Jake Evans as the #2 centre although keeping the picks would have been my preference.

The last thing I want now is for a GM to panic and make us better in the short term just so we can finish 18th overall.  We have to be in TANK/Rebuild mode.  That means strategically shedding assets for prospects/picks when the opportunity arises.  Usually the trade deadline is when other teams are most desperate and you can extract maximum value.  This season is pretty much lost. The best way to get something positive from it is to acquire picks/prospects to give us hope for the future.  Is MB the best guy to do this?  That can be debated. 

On 10/27/2021 at 6:33 PM, dlbalr said:

He makes sense but I could see Bob Murray being 'promoted' to president and Madden Jr. promoted to GM in Anaheim if the Habs were make a serious run at him.  He is their GM in waiting and Murray's near the end of his career.

Tha didn't age well  :D

57 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's a fair point. I think that MB has shown that he has been willing to think beyond the current season by accumulating draft picks.  He had no choice with Dvorak, losing KK and Danault forced him to do something down the middle. He couldn't leave Ducharme with Jake Evans as the #2 centre although keeping the picks would have been my preference.

The last thing I want now is for a GM to panic and make us better in the short term just so we can finish 18th overall.  We have to be in TANK/Rebuild mode.  That means strategically shedding assets for prospects/picks when the opportunity arises.  Usually the trade deadline is when other teams are most desperate and you can extract maximum value.  This season is pretty much lost. The best way to get something positive from it is to acquire picks/prospects to give us hope for the future.  Is MB the best guy to do this?  That can be debated. 

It's a frustrating situation. 

MB is probably gone after this season. Yet this season, being a hopeless case, represents a major opportunity to trade veterans and acquire important assets for the future. You don't want an expiring GM to be the guy making those decisions, which ramify for years to come, and whose ramifications he will not be accountable for. On the other hand, standard hockey wisdom is that you don't flip GMs mid-season; best to wait until the year ends and you can do a proper, wide-reaching search. 

So what do we do? Let MB make those fateful decisions, then cut him loose? Or get rid of him and hope we can find a good replacement mid-season?  

I think the big question is who does Molson want to have managing the team next year. I have to believe he has a short list of options by now, probably including Bergevin.

Then the question is whether his preferred candidate is available now, or not until the end of the season.

I don't think you would want to compromise your choice of GM just to get it done in December or January. I do believe Bergevin still wants to do the right thing for the Habs, and (assuming he is leaving) to leave behind a solid legacy. No, the new guy would not get to make the choices, but since Molson sets the direction anyway, Bergevin can certainly execute that until the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think the big question is who does Molson want to have managing the team next year. I have to believe he has a short list of options by now, probably including Bergevin.

Then the question is whether his preferred candidate is available now, or not until the end of the season ...

If the preferred option is employed in the NHL below the GM level it is not inconceivable that they might be released for a promotion, or even a GM offered the Team President role ... especially this early in the season when they would not be privy to anything near finalized draft/offseason plans.

21 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If the preferred option is employed in the NHL below the GM level it is not inconceivable that they might be released for a promotion, or even a GM offered the Team President role ... especially this early in the season when they would not be privy to anything near finalized draft/offseason plans.

It's not inconceivable but it's uncommon for that to happen.  There's a reason both Chicago and Anaheim have suggested their GM searches will extend into the offseason and that's because teams don't want to lose an executive midseason even if they are in a lower role.

• Upvote 1

We can assume no face-to-face negotiations over the next week or so