Jump to content

Nick Suzuki extension


GHT120
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

GREAT deal (IMO)

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To make it official (the signing, not the details)
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like it, Nick will be a Hab for the next 9 years (1 +8). A big part of the reason I like it is because Nick is a leader, is mature and in a couple years it may look like a great contract for the Habs especially if the cap goes up. He is locked up for his best years.  Two thumbs up. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Neech said:

Love to have him locked up, now we have to hope that he progresses to be a true 1C rather than the Koivu/Plekanec 1B's that we've had forever.

Suzuki is better offensively than Plekanec and is better defensively than Koivu right now, arguably.  He also has more potential than both.  I think this will be a great contract in a couple of years.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you factor in taxes, it's not an overpayment...it's fair in terms of take-home pay vs. what it'd be at 6.5mil in FL, TX, AZ, NV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

When you factor in taxes, it's not an overpayment...it's fair in terms of take-home pay vs. what it'd be at 6.5mil in FL, TX, AZ, NV

 

Yup that's true.  Its a fair deal even if he's the 60 point guy (pace) we saw last season.

 

If he improves, even a little bit.  This contract is going to be a bargain.  

 

Its also a deal that ends when he is like 30, not one that takes him into his mid-30s like a lot of 8 year deals, so we are getting his best years here, not paying for a decline. 

 

Overall a really great move.

And it sets a nice ceiling for guys like Caufield when the time comes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its also a deal that ends when he is like 30, not one that takes him into his mid-30s like a lot of 8 year deals, so we are getting his best years here, not paying for a decline.

It's true that we won't pay for the years past his peak -- but we are paying for his RFA years, though, so it's more or less the same, I think.

 

Still, he should yet improve, so it's a good deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

And it sets a nice ceiling for guys like Caufield when the time comes.

 

Good point, and that time is not too far down the road. I expect Suzuki and Caulfield to be similar points wise with Cole having a few more goals and Nick having a few more assists. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It's true that we won't pay for the years past his peak -- but we are paying for his RFA years, though, so it's more or less the same, I think.

 

Still, he should yet improve, so it's a good deal.

 

I would rather pay a little more now (RFA years)  and a little less down the road to make sure he is locked up. If you signed him to a shorter term deal for less money  and then in 4 years if he has become an 80 point guy (entirely possible) then you are looking at BIG dollars especially if the cap goes up. I think it's a great deal for the Habs without much downside because I think Nick has shown that at a bare minimum he is a 60 point guy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

I would rather pay a little more now (RFA years)  and a little less down the road to make sure he is locked up. If you signed him to a shorter term deal for less money  and then in 4 years if he has become an 80 point guy (entirely possible) then you are looking at BIG dollars especially if the cap goes up. I think it's a great deal for the Habs without much downside because I think Nick has shown that at a bare minimum he is a 60 point guy

I, too, think that he will be a 60+ point guy, or better.

 

However, it was only one season, and an odd one at that, so we really don't know this for certain yet.

 

NB: I am not arguing against this contract, just pointing out that Suzuki has only played a single NHL season so we only have a small sample for judging his performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love that he is locked up, but that is a CRAZY deal for such an unproven player. Mika Zibanejad put up two 70+ point seasons (and was on pace for another in the shortened 2021 season) before he got paid like this. I feel like this is the contract he should have gotten AFTER putting in a good season in the spring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Love that he is locked up, but that is a CRAZY deal for such an unproven player. Mika Zibanejad put up two 70+ point seasons (and was on pace for another in the shortened 2021 season) before he got paid like this. I feel like this is the contract he should have gotten AFTER putting in a good season in the spring.

 

I don't disagree but it was his performance in the playoffs (6th in points) that makes me think he should be locked up now.  If they didn't sign him now and he puts up 70 points then his bargaining is really strong especially after what happened to KK. I don't think any Hab fan will be complaining about this contract in a couple years BUT there is always a chance it could go the other way, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... it was his performance in the playoffs (6th in points) ...

 

And to be clear for anyone uncertain, that was 6th overall ... behind only Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Hedman and Killorn ... and, obviously, top on the Habs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Love that he is locked up, but that is a CRAZY deal for such an unproven player. Mika Zibanejad put up two 70+ point seasons (and was on pace for another in the shortened 2021 season) before he got paid like this. I feel like this is the contract he should have gotten AFTER putting in a good season in the spring.

Suzuki was on pace for a 60pt season during the shortened season.  With Caufield on his wing, I would expect 65+ this season barring an injury.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

 

And to be clear for anyone uncertain, that was 6th overall ... behind only Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Hedman and Killorn ... and, obviously, top on the Habs.

Tied 42nd in p/gm, to put all players on similar page.

e.g. Mackinnon was 8th but had 15pts in10gms, Suzuki had 16pts in 22gms.

 

Not putting down his offense at all, which was great for a kid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

I would rather pay a little more now (RFA years)  and a little less down the road to make sure he is locked up. If you signed him to a shorter term deal for less money  and then in 4 years if he has become an 80 point guy (entirely possible) then you are looking at BIG dollars especially if the cap goes up. I think it's a great deal for the Habs without much downside because I think Nick has shown that at a bare minimum he is a 60 point guy. 

Totally agree.

we had to do this deal. Hopefully he lives up to it!  I like this contract given the term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Suzuki was on pace for a 60pt season during the shortened season.  With Caufield on his wing, I would expect 65+ this season barring an injury.

 

Exactly, and I don't disagree. But 60 points and hoping for 65 is not worth the contract he just got.  He got the contract for an established, consistent 70+ player. Even with a 70-80 point season, he still won't have the resume of Zibanejad has, and Zibanejad's contract is buying out more UFA years. And that is an especially good contract to compare if you're going to make the tax argument, as New York's taxes are closer to Montreal's than any other US city. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

 

Exactly, and I don't disagree. But 60 points and hoping for 65 is not worth the contract he just got.  He got the contract for an established, consistent 70+ player. Even with a 70-80 point season, he still won't have the resume of Zibanejad has, and Zibanejad's contract is buying out more UFA years. And that is an especially good contract to compare if you're going to make the tax argument, as New York's taxes are closer to Montreal's than any other US city. 

The 65 is for this season.  I expect him to be a 70+ point guy.  He’s developing like a 1st line center, offensively and defensively.  If he ends up being a solid 1st line center, while putting up 70+ points, his contract would be great.  That’s the hope here.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...