2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Nice - it usually takes me a few more days to remember to actually start this...

"If the women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!"

Saw noted, that of teams starting 0-3, only 2 have ever made the playoffs and that was simply due to a shortened season.

So a loss tomorrow could be big. If lose, is it already time to start shopping Chiarot and other 2022 UFAs.Devil's Advocate by Treeflowersweet on DeviantArt

31 minutes ago, DON said:

Saw noted, that of teams starting 0-3, only 2 have ever made the playoffs and that was simply due to a shortened season.

And what was the stat for the number of teams that have come back from a 1-3 deficit in a playoff series?

0-3 would be a good indicator of poor team strength but in itself it's no guarantee of failure. There are 79 games beyond those first three.

I'm more concerned about how the team is playing than I am about losing the first two or three games.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

0-3 would be a good indicator of poor team strength but in itself it's no guarantee of failure. 

image.jpeg

Because it DOES seem to indicate is a guarantee of failure. But, havent lost game 3 yet, so not at that point...yet.

58 minutes ago, DON said:

image.jpeg

Because it DOES seem to indicate is a guarantee of failure. But, havent lost game 3 yet, so not at that point...yet.

So, when Edmund Hillary was considering climbing Mt Everest, 100% of previous expeditions had failed. I suppose he should have just given up because clearly it was a guarantee of failure. Right?

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

So, when Edmund Hillary was considering climbing Mt Everest, 100% of previous expeditions had failed. I suppose he should have just given up because clearly it was a guarantee of failure. Right?

this season will feel like climbing the Everest for most Habs fans ;)

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

this season will feel like climbing the Everest for most Habs fans ;)

I think it’s going to feel a lot more like a free fall off Everest after getting close to the top. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Sorry Tom, i wasnt trying to be too serious at all and losing the 1st 2 games of season is likely very meaningless (i think?); but i was very surprised that losing 1st three was actually a very very very bad sign, even though, as you say, there would be 96.34% of games left in season.

As many good or bad teams will go through poor stretches and 3 games is such small chunk, but seems if you come out of gate losing it can be pretty good predictor that the sky really is falling.

Like I said, has only been 2 losses so far; but many also saw Habs not making playoffs, even before losing 1 game. Anyways, we can hope they fill up the Ranger net tomorrow and start a nice winning streak at home, before head out west to face the Kracken-SJ-LA-Ducks...with California not good turf for Habs ever.:(

8 hours ago, DON said:

So a loss tomorrow could be big. If lose, is it already time to start shopping Chiarot and other 2022 UFAs.

A little early to panic but losing 5-1 to Buffalo is not a good sign. There is no question MB will be a major seller at the deadline if things look bleak. If they are going to be bad this year then they might as well be real bad and have a top ten pick. 

Kucherov left Tampa’s game last night with an injury.  Is this the injury where he gets out on LTIR for the rest of the season to miraculously be 100% just in time for the playoffs?  All while Tampa fills his cap space with more players?

11 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Kucherov left Tampa’s game last night with an injury.  Is this the injury where he gets out on LTIR for the rest of the season to miraculously be 100% just in time for the playoffs?  All while Tampa fills his cap space with more players?

I would like to see the whole Tampa team go down with long term injuries, if I’m being honest.

Anyway - petty bitching aside - Tampa played the system as they find it, within the rules. Can’t blame ‘em for having smart management.

The question is what happens to him after the 21 games?   It has been rumoured that “several of Kane’s teammates don’t want the embattled winger to come back" ... if true, that makes things awkward for the Sharks.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

The question is what happens to him after the 21 games?   It has been rumoured that “several of Kane’s teammates don’t want the embattled winger to come back" ... if true, that makes things awkward for the Sharks.

He will be the new Sheldon Souray.  They can’t terminate his contract, the team doesn’t want him and he’s untradable.

Maybe the NHL is helping the case to get rid of him?

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

He was never a popular figure in the room in his previous stops either and still stuck around for a little while.  He's basically at the point of not being movable so he'll come back at that point.

38 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He was never a popular figure in the room in his previous stops either and still stuck around for a little while.  He's basically at the point of not being movable so he'll come back at that point.

and in 22-23, 23-24 and 24-25 ... with his pending bankruptcy he can't afford to walk away from the $26M left on his contract for the next four seasons ... have to assume the SJS are exploring EVERY possible loophole.

Not Doug Wilson's first bad contract ... just on the current cap: Karlsson, Vlasic, and the Martin Jones buyout in addition to Kane ... after 18 plus years as the SJS GM wonder how much longer he sticks around ... hmmm ... he was born in Ottawa and played junior in Ottawa ... wonder if he speaks French?  ... KIDDING

It's not just players that have a slow start to the season.

1 hour ago, DON said:

68 - Mike Hoffman 24 - Adam Brooks 11 - Brendan Gallagher
77 - Brett Kulak 15 - Sami Niku

will new line & 3rd pairing help?

Will it hurt?   Who knows ... but anxious to see what, if anything, Brooks brings to the table.

They're putting Brooks in a position to succeed, anyway, giving him a pure scorer and the ultimate Energizer Bunny in Gallagher.

Kulak-Niku sounds like a pairing guaranteed to lose the coaches' trust within a couple of shifts.

1 hour ago, revvvrob said:

Wondering - are the reverse-retro jerseys in play this year?

9ZCyecA%2B3Qa1fk1RaVFKay3QY3eXGpcw8=

• dlbalr unpinned this topic