2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

23 hours ago, revvvrob said:

Wondering - are the reverse-retro jerseys in play this year?

Not this year.  I've heard the plan is to bring back a new set of reverse retros league-wide next season with an eye on doing something like that annually moving forward (otherwise known as a cash grab).

By the way, check your PM regarding the football pool.

On 10/26/2021 at 3:55 PM, TurdBurglar said:

Sounds like Stan Bowman may be in a little bit of trouble.

https://www.tsn.ca/chicago-blackhawks-stan-bowman-steps-down-1.1711931

He also stepped down as GM of team USA.

https://www.tsn.ca/stan-bowman-usa-hockey-beijing-olympics-chicago-blackhawks-1.1712023

FLA might be F’d here.

Powerhouse team with a legendary coach - except that legendary coach is now in the eye of a hurricane.

Have to wonder how this affects the team.

9 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

FLA might be F’d here.

Powerhouse team with a legendary coach - except that legendary coach is now in the eye of a hurricane.

Have to wonder how this affects the team.

Out of everyone that was apart of it and currently outside the Blackhawks right now, I believe Quenneville will get the harshest punishment.  The more I read about accounts from the findings and Beach himself, Quenneville actively tried to ignore it at the time, and lied about it happening.  I don't believe he will ever coach again, let alone in the NHL.

I just gotta say, I commend the Hawks for their handling of the situation, going out of their way to make sure this was investigated, then coming down harsh on the offenders.  Then publicly standing behind Beach coming forward, of his own free will.  I think it's a very classy move on their part, and a very brave move on Beach's part.  

14 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Out of everyone that was apart of it and currently outside the Blackhawks right now, I believe Quenneville will get the harshest punishment.  The more I read about accounts from the findings and Beach himself, Quenneville actively tried to ignore it at the time, and lied about it happening.  I don't believe he will ever coach again, let alone in the NHL.

I just gotta say, I commend the Hawks for their handling of the situation, going out of their way to make sure this was investigated, then coming down harsh on the offenders.  Then publicly standing behind Beach coming forward, of his own free will.  I think it's a very classy move on their part, and a very brave move on Beach's part.  

No question Beach was very brave. As far as the Hawks organization goes, they are a little bit late.  This is a big stain on their organization. 

39 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I just gotta say, I commend the Hawks for their handling of the situation, going out of their way to make sure this was investigated, then coming down harsh on the offenders. 

Keep in mind they went out of their way to deny and bury this for years after doing next to nothing about it in the first place - the only reason it came out was the media report.  Chicago's actions also came at the same time they filed a motion to dismiss the civil charges brought against them in court.

Stan Bowman was already heading towards being fired with their brutal start to the year, this just expedited what was probably a couple of weeks from happening anyway.  Letting another senior executive go, paying a fine, and issuing a press release isn't doing a whole lot; releasing the full report was probably to avoid being accused of another cover up.

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Keep in mind they went out of their way to deny and bury this for years after doing next to nothing about it in the first place - the only reason it came out was the media report.  Chicago's actions also came at the same time they filed a motion to dismiss the civil charges brought against them in court.

Stan Bowman was already heading towards being fired with their brutal start to the year, this just expedited what was probably a couple of weeks from happening anyway.  Letting another senior executive go, paying a fine, and issuing a press release isn't doing a whole lot; releasing the full report was probably to avoid being accused of another cover up.

Exactly, they are simply doing damage control right now. 

41 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

24 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No question Beach was very brave. As far as the Hawks organization goes, they are a little bit late.  This is a big stain on their organization. 

The Blackhawks do deserve some small manner of credit for contracting the investigation and making it public ... BUT ... they also were pretty much forced into doing so by the lawsuit (that THIS Blackhawks administration tried, and continues to try, to have dismissed) and the persistent reporting by TSN's Rick Westhead.

Wonder is Chevy has written his statement yet

4 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

100% agree. Hopefully neither Bowman, not get any of their salary by resigning. It’s too bad they weren’t actually fired.

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yep. They didn’t do anything until there was a harsh spotlight and lots of public pressure through the media.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Wonder is Chevy has written his statement yet

Mishandled???? Really?? How about ####ed up, with not a shred of integrity,

or attempt to even coming close to doing the right thing.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

So, Quenneville is fine to take another coaching or GM job, then?

Bettman already has said that anyone involved with this will have to go through a process with the NHL before they can take another position in the NHL.  So, free would be a strong word.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I understand what you are saying, but it's better late than never.  It also sets a precedent for the future. 

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

100% agree. Hopefully neither Bowman, not get any of their salary by resigning. It’s too bad they weren’t actually fired.

If they were fired they might have actually got a severance package. Resigning generally gets you nothing.

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Mishandled???? Really?? How about ####ed up, with not a shred of integrity,

or attempt to even coming close to doing the right thing.

Agree ... all the "statements" were clearly written by lawyers ... likely with lots of input from Public Relations Crisis Management experts ... if they happen too actually reflect the thoughts of the person/entity issuing them it is bit a happy coincidence

2 minutes ago, Neech said:

Pretty decent number for the Leafs on the Reilly extension.  I guess he didn't want to take his team for every penny and become the scapegoat like Marner.

And/or the press rates him higher than hockey people and on the open market he wouldn't have gotten the numbers that were being thrown around ... and/or, he just really likes Toronto

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

If they were fired they might have actually got a severance package. Resigning generally gets you nothing.

I though one of the articles I read did that Bowman resigned- part of deal that he still gets a golden parachute.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic