2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

Elliot Freedman reporting they expect a 3rd team in the trade mix to trade Kane.  This would involve San Jose eating $3.5m of the salary, a second team eating $1.75m to get a 3rd team to take Kane at $1.75m.  The kicker is he has a 3 team trade list and Winnipeg is one of the 3 teams.

Somehow I see Kane getting bought out.  Which I believe a buyout would mess with his bankruptcy.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Elliot Freedman reporting they expect a 3rd team in the trade mix to trade Kane.  This would involve San Jose eating $3.5m of the salary, a second team eating $1.75m to get a 3rd team to take Kane at $1.75m.  The kicker is he has a 3 team trade list and Winnipeg is one of the 3 teams.

Somehow I see Kane getting bought out.  Which I believe a buyout would mess with his bankruptcy.

That’s the type of 3 way deal I was proposing yesterday.

Some of her other claims haven't panned out ... but the NHL undoubtedly will NOT like this ... more "time off" to follow?

This is amazing ... less than 3 weeks after surgery ... undoubtedly still quite some time to being cleared to play ... but if he can keep this up he will be in decent shape

10 hours ago, GHT120 said:

This is amazing ... less than 3 weeks after surgery ... undoubtedly still quite some time to being cleared to play ... but if he can keep this up he will be in decent shape

Notice he doesn’t move his head/neck.

all lower body movement, obv smart but wouldn’t take it as a sign he is playing anytime soon.

4 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Notice he doesn’t move his head/neck.

all lower body movement, obv smart but wouldn’t take it as a sign he is playing anytime soon.

Agreed ... undoubtedly still quite some time to his being cleared to play 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

On another note it looks like Travis green is gone, no big surprise. 

The shocking thing is that it took this long. A rational organization would have fired him long before now, seen what the core can do under a new coach, and use that info to decide on whether to fire Benning. Instead, their season is completely lost, and they may still end up firing Benning, if the local rumours are true. Always a comedy of blunders here in Van.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The shocking thing is that it took this long. A rational organization would have fired him long before now, seen what the core can do under a new coach, and use that info to decide on whether to fire Benning. Instead, their season is completely lost, and they may still end up firing Benning, if the local rumours are true. Always a comedy of blunders here in Van.

Hanging on to Green as long as they did was worse than how long we held onto Therrien, and almost as bad as how long we hung onto Lefebve (but there is youd ordinarily give a lot less rope to an NHL coach than an AHL coach. Benning should get fired, and I have to say I wouldn’t mind taking him as a replacement for Timmins. His scouting record is pretty good, his signings and trades were horrible. 

immalso surprised Vigneult hasn’t been hasn’t been fired in Philly - and I want nothing to do with him. Enough if he rinse-repeat-recycle out coaches - unless there is a way to make Scotty Bowman 30 years younger.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Enough if he rinse-repeat-recycle out coaches - unless there is a way to make Scotty Bowman 30 years younger.

I'd love to have Bowman as an advisor or consultant. With Stan no longer in Chicago he would likely be available, and his mind is still sharp even if he's no longer the guy to stand behind the bench every night.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Hanging on to Green as long as they did was worse than how long we held onto Therrien, and almost as bad as how long we hung onto Lefebve (but there is youd ordinarily give a lot less rope to an NHL coach than an AHL coach. Benning should get fired, and I have to say I wouldn’t mind taking him as a replacement for Timmins. His scouting record is pretty good, his signings and trades were horrible. 

immalso surprised Vigneult hasn’t been hasn’t been fired in Philly - and I want nothing to do with him. Enough if he rinse-repeat-recycle out coaches - unless there is a way to make Scotty Bowman 30 years younger.

Benning would make a great replacement for Timmins. He has been excellent at the draft table. Kind of the opposite of Bergevin - great at drafting, horrible at trading and contract management. Gorton should make the call…since Benning did indeed get fired.

What a mess. If Benning was the one refusing to show Green the door, then he deserves to be out on his arse. But Van has highly meddling ownership, so what seems to have happened is that ownership refused to take the sensible, graduated approach - fire a coach who was obviously past his best-by date, see how the core responds, then assess the GM. Instead it was all or nothing. Meanwhile, the season is lost.

I’ve been a big Vigneault fan over the years. Not sure why we wouldn’t hire him, just because he coached here before. But that he is barely into year three in Philly and the team seems to be melting down is not a good sign. Perhaps he has lost his touch, or needs time away in order to reboot.

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Benning would make a great replacement for Timmins. He has been excellent at the draft table. Kind of the opposite of Bergevin - great at drafting, horrible at trading and contract management. Gorton should make the call…since Benning did indeed get fired.

What a mess. If Benning was the one refusing to show Green the door, then he deserves to be out on his arse. But Van has highly meddling ownership, so what seems to have happened is that ownership refused to take the sensible, graduated approach - fire a coach who was obviously past his best-by date, see how the core responds, then assess the GM. Instead it was all or nothing. Meanwhile, the season is lost.

I’ve been a big Vigneault fan over the years. Not sure why we wouldn’t hire him, just because he coached here before. But that he is barely into year three in Philly and the team seems to be melting down is not a good sign. Perhaps he has lost his touch, or needs time away in order to reboot.

Didn't Gorton fire Vigneault once already? Or would that have been Sather.

On 12/1/2021 at 5:00 PM, Commandant said:

He has 4 years left on that comtract. It will be really expensive for any team to take 4 years of cap hit.

Most of these three team deals have been 18 months or less of eating salary.

Unless you're a rebuilding team like phoenix  is

Could be San Jose to Phoenix then to jets. 

14 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Unless you're a rebuilding team like phoenix  is ...

AND the payoff to do it is BIG

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Vigneult is another of the old school coaches that there has been a lot of noise about, and the fact that the flyers continue to regress, makes me question if he’s another coach who has not adjusted his style to suit the changes in the league and players.  I also question the sanity of a coach that would bring on a buffoon like Therrien as an assistant.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Has Benning really done that well at drafting compared to Timmins?  Sure, there's Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes but two of his three highest selections were outright busts (Juolevi and Virtanen) as well.  It's a mixed bag with considerably more opportunities to pick high than the Habs had in that same stretch.

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Didn't Gorton fire Vigneault once already? Or would that have been Sather.

I think it was Gorton.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Has Benning really done that well at drafting compared to Timmins?  Sure, there's Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes but two of his three highest selections were outright busts (Juolevi and Virtanen) as well.  It's a mixed bag with considerably more opportunities to pick high than the Habs had in that same stretch.

I think it was Gorton.

Benning hit the jackpot three times - four if we count Demko. That's four more than Timmins, at least since 2007.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic