2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

At this point, if I were Ducharme, I would tell the players that icetime will now be allocated based on who is working hardest AND respecting the system ... talent earns certain privileges in terms of icetime (i.e., you don't bench talented players the first time they don't hustle) but at a certain point I've always felt that rewarding lack of effort with icetime just teaches players that they don't need to work hard or play within a system ... win or lose I want to see hard work.

I like the message, but of course it could lead to scenarios where plumbers get PP time while our skilled FWs sit. Being on Team Tank this year, that's fine by me - but it will be taken by many as more proof of DD's incompetence, much like the attack on Jacques Martin when he kept putting Metropolis on the PP because he was the only guy who went to the net.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

At this point, if I were Ducharme, I would tell the players that icetime will now be allocated based on who is working hardest 

So what do you do with a Drouin...he hasnt broke a sweat playing hockey...ever, wont be changing his play and will be a floater his whole career and is almost good enough offensively to let it slide?.

19 hours ago, DON said:
Monday, December 13
Practice
LW C RW
68 - Mike Hoffman 14 - Nick Suzuki 85 - Mathieu Perreault
92 - Jonathan Drouin 71 - Jake Evans 40 - Joel Armia
62 - Artturi Lehkonen 25 - Ryan Poehling 22 - Cole Caufield
55 - Michael Pezzetta 13 - Cedric Paquette 45 Laurent Dauphin / 56 - Jesse Ylonen

#1 RW, doubt Perreault could of even dreamed of that at the start of year. :youpi:

It’s a friggin joke. Yes Gallagher is out, but WTF Ducharme (how I think I’ll start referring to is douchehead)!!!

what a waste for Suzuki.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s a friggin joke. Yes Gallagher is out, but WTF Ducharme (how I think I’ll start referring to is douchehead)!!!

what a waste for Suzuki.

Slick Nick will be fine and i assume once down 2 or 3-0 coaches will scramble up the starting line combos.

I am good with Perreault playing big minutes and hope same for Wideman & Paquette.

Showcase them a bit and if cost a game or three...so what.:spamafote:

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Slick Nick will be fine and i assume once down 2 or 3-0 coaches will scramble up the starting line combos.

I am good with Perreault playing big minutes and hope same for Wideman & Paquette.

Showcase them a bit and if cost a game or three...so what.:spamafote:

Who are we showcasing him for? The Sabres?

3 hours ago, DON said:

So what do you do with a Drouin...he hasnt broke a sweat playing hockey...ever, wont be changing his play and will be a floater his whole career and is almost good enough offensively to let it slide?.

3rd/4th line depending on how others are playing

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I like the message, but of course it could lead to scenarios where plumbers get PP time while our skilled FWs sit. Being on Team Tank this year, that's fine by me - but it will be taken by many as more proof of DD's incompetence, much like the attack on Jacques Martin when he kept putting Metropolis on the PP because he was the only guy who went to the net.

If the skilled players aren't working hard that would be exactly what happens ... and its not like the "skilled players" are doing anything worthwhile on the PP (3rd worst in the league).

1 hour ago, DON said:

... Not sure why Primeau being recalled? ...

Because Allen has played 8 straight games and the Habs clearly won't play Montembeault?

21 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Montembeault really hasn't been all that bad. He's not the one causing the losses.

My thought as well, but clearly the coaches have given up on him.

19 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Paul Maurice resigned today. One of my favourite coaches in the NHL, honest, articulate, funny, classy.  He is a guy who I would love to see coach the Habs but I am pretty sure he doesn't speak French. 

Did I hear/read right that he skate-bagged the Jets on his last practice as coach ?

22 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Did I hear/read right that he skate-bagged the Jets on his last practice as coach ?

No idea. Not that it would make any difference.  To survive 9 years as a head coach in a Canadian market takes talent and skill.  When was the last time someone survived that long in a Canadian market?  In any market?  I think Jon Cooper is in his 9th year. 

24 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No idea. Not that it would make any difference.  To survive 9 years as a head coach in a Canadian market takes talent and skill.  When was the last time someone survived that long in a Canadian market?  In any market?  I think Jon Cooper is in his 9th year. 

Well, seven years, but it's still a really short list.

Alain Vigneault and Marc Crawford in Vancouver

Glen Sather and Craig McTavish in Edmonton

Punch Imlach and Pat Quinn in Toronto

Dick Irvin, Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman in Montreal

Michel Bergeron in Quebec

Nobody in Calgary or Ottawa.

Wonder if he wants a couple of weeks off before going to Philadelphia?  That's where I see him ending up.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Wonder if he wants a couple of weeks off before going to Philadelphia?  That's where I see him ending up.

He certainly won't have any trouble finding another job when he decides he wants to coach again.  He probably wants a little break but who knows, coaches like to coach. 

14 hours ago, tomh009 said:

So … no Habs games this week as all cross-border games are cancelled until the 23rd. We’ll have to wait and see what happens with this season.

If any Habs’ season was going to be cancelled, it may as well be this one…but this still sucks big-time.

Oh well, the draft will still happen, although not for 6 months. I guess something to look forward to.

1. Shane Wright, C, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL): Where there may have been concerns regarding scoring totals, No. 51 has put up multi-point efforts in four of his past five games, just in time to leave for Canada’s WJC camp.

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Omsk (VHL): Combines the assets of a power and skill game with an elite goal-scorer’s finishing ability.

3. Joakim Kemell, LW, JYP (Liiga): Missed some time due to injury, but has come back into JYP’s lineup playing big minutes (12 goals, 18 points in 18 games). The WJC comes at the perfect time to get back up to speed, closer to his age group.

4. Isaac Howard, LW, USNTDP: Killed it at the Five Nations in Switzerland and the momentum from that event has carried forward with points in nine of 10 games.

5. Matthew Savoie, C, Winnipeg Ice (WHL): Surely will be fired-up for not being named to Canada’s WJC camp roster. While he may not be quite ready for top six minutes in the U20s, his sights will be set on the WHL scoring and league titles. He currently leads the league with 41 points in 25 games.

6. Logan Cooley, C, USNTDP: Is just one of two first-year draft eligibles invited to USA Hockey’s WJC camp.

*7. Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk (KHL): Similar to his countryman listed above, Yurov has a power element to his game, he competes well in all areas, but doesn’t have the same elite finishing ability as Miroshnichenko.

*8. David Jiricek, D, HC Plzen (Extraliiga): Is effective from the point in, finding the best way to get pucks through to the net. Can evade defenders with good puck skills and has the confidence to make plays at the men’s top level.

9. Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, TPS Turku (Liiga): Picked up his first goal in Liiga play at the start of the month. Will be leaned on heavily by Slovakia at the world juniors.

10. Conor Geekie, C, Winnipeg Ice (WHL): Makes plays you don’t typically see made by someone his size (6-foot-4, 205 pounds). The poise in his game is greatly appreciated, but at times you would like to see decisions made quicker.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic