2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

On 12/14/2021 at 12:53 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I like the message, but of course it could lead to scenarios where plumbers get PP time while our skilled FWs sit. Being on Team Tank this year, that's fine by me - but it will be taken by many as more proof of DD's incompetence, much like the attack on Jacques Martin when he kept putting Metropolis on the PP because he was the only guy who went to the net.

I'm sorry.

That is Mr.Ten PP goal Metropolis to you.

... and the taxi squads are back. This will probably help other teams more than the Habs, at least for now. But at least it should reduce the number of games being cancelled.

So, who will the Habs put on their taxi squad?

16 hours ago, tomh009 said:

... and the taxi squads are back. This will probably help other teams more than the Habs, at least for now. But at least it should reduce the number of games being cancelled.

So, who will the Habs put on their taxi squad?

Baddock, McNiven, Hillis, and Fairbrother

How quickly will someone make Gorton an offer for Chiarot...he cant refuse? CoVid impact on season dependent, or will Gorton smartly wait and maximize return at/near deadline?

Are Byron & Price 'almost' ready to return to play?

Edmundson is more long term injury isnt he?

But unless Max is a LTIR situation it won't help with the cap when Eichel joins the team.

19 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

That's 2 points too much, need to let phoenix pass us. Oh who am i kidding phoenix won't pass 20 points this year. 

Yup, Arizona has last place locked, traded away most of their good players to make sure that happens.  Habs will likely recover somewhat once they get some players back but I see the Habs battling maybe Seattle and Buffalo for the other bottom 4 spots.  Hopefully fate is on our side at the lottery. 

21 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

That's 2 points too much, need to let phoenix pass us. Oh who am i kidding phoenix won't pass 20 points this year. 

Phoenix shouldn’t even be in Phoenix anymore. Gretzky called the old devils a micky mouse team, I don’t even know what to call this franchise. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yup, Arizona has last place locked, traded away most of their good players to make sure that happens.  Habs will likely recover somewhat once they get some players back but I see the Habs battling maybe Seattle and Buffalo for the other bottom 4 spots.  Hopefully fate is on our side at the lottery. 

I think not wanting to pay players also had something to do with it - this is a team that hasn’t even paid it’s creditors and has at numerous times came close to not meeting payroll requirements. It’s a joke that this franchise is still there.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think not wanting to pay players also had something to do with it - this is a team that hasn’t even paid it’s creditors and has at numerous times came close to not meeting payroll requirements. It’s a joke that this franchise is still there.

It is a joke. They don't deserve the #1 pick.  I am guessing Shane Wright would much rather play in Montreal. 

26 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... I am guessing Shane Wright would much rather play in Montreal. 

Unless he likes golfing after practice ... or ... has really bad sinuses ... or both (kidding BTW)

I had to share one last post. Have a joyful, safe and restful new year's day and don't let the bad bugs catch you!

giphy.gif

Edited by alfredoh2009
updated link to image

from The Athletic:

But Montreal? They are interesting. And the good news there is Gorton has been around long enough to develop the necessary contacts among his GM peers to negotiate deals. He also has a track record of being willing to move important pieces to contenders. In 2018, Gorton made five trades in a week, including Ryan McDonagh and J.T. Miller to Tampa Bay and Rick Nash to Boston.

So … not gun shy.

A little pizzaz from Wes McCauley

If trying to squeeze out any positives from season so far, are not many flattering team stats in first 1/3 of season, other than Habs are 6th in hits.

Romanov tied 7th in NHL with 106 hits:clap:, next on team Savard with 72.  

Seems Romanov is similar to a Emelin in the hitting dept, hopefully a bit of Markov-like puck skills develops in his game.

(Maybe give Romanov some shifts on the 4th line and give him a chance to forecheck, or attack net, or just reek general havoc in opposing zone)

34 minutes ago, DON said:

If trying to squeeze out any positives from season so far, are not many flattering team stats in first 1/3 of season, other than Habs are 6th in hits.

Romanov tied 7th in NHL with 106 hits:clap:, next on team Savard with 72.  

Seems Romanov is similar to a Emelin in the hitting dept, hopefully a bit of Markov-like puck skills develops in his game.

(Maybe give Romanov some shifts on the 4th line and give him a chance to forecheck, or attack net, or just reek general havoc in opposing zone)

Romanov is confirming Timmins’ projections when drafted

I am also encouraged by Poehling and to a lesser degree Ylonen (not enough games played yet)

for all the criticism I give Caufield ; he is doing OK, lacking the extra NHL gear Suzuki shows, but showing that he can hold a regular spot at the NHL level despite needing more development . The positive is that he is not a bust and is killing more and more as a legit top 9 winger 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I don't think moving Romanov to a fourth line forward role is smart.  Much more valuable to develop him as a top 4 defenceman. 

I didn't take Don as suggesting that Romanov become a forward, rather that perhaps he get an occasional shift up front to bounce around the opposition in their own zone ... if Romanov was further along in his development it might make sense occasionally, to shake things up ... but agree that at this stage he doesn't need any distraction from rounding out his development on defence.

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

... to bounce around the opposition in their own zone ...

Exactly, i think every d-man loves to get a chance to forecheck or introduce themselves to the goalie a la Gallagher.

Not likely good for his development nor will see it happen; but just for entertainment value & i wanna see the kid get a ton of icetime in general.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I didn't take Don as suggesting that Romanov become a forward, rather that perhaps he get an occasional shift up front to bounce around the opposition in their own zone ... if Romanov was further along in his development it might make sense occasionally, to shake things up ... but agree that at this stage he doesn't need any distraction from rounding out his development on defence.

you are off my list of potential Habs coaches permanently ; starting now !

:P

• dlbalr unpinned this topic