2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

you are off my list of potential Habs coaches permanently ; starting now !

:P

I am curious ... because I wouldn't do it now or because I might do it in the future?

Evander Kane is in unconditional waivers with the intent of terminating his contract.  Sounds like be breached the AHL covid protocols.

String of bone headed decisions for someone who needs every dollar of that contract.

https://www.tsn.ca/evander-kane-san-jose-sharks-unconditional-waivers-1.1743229

I'm not sure a breach of AHL COVID protocol is material enough for them to void the rest of this deal.  They're trying to go the Mike Richards route, terminate the deal, settle for less than what's originally owed, and try to amortize the payments over long enough of a stretch to make the cap situation much better than what it is now.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Evander Kane is in unconditional waivers with the intent of terminating his contract.  Sounds like be breached the AHL covid protocols.

String of bone headed decisions for someone who needs every dollar of that contract.

https://www.tsn.ca/evander-kane-san-jose-sharks-unconditional-waivers-1.1743229

Why am I not surprised?  Talk about a guy wasting the peak of his career away. At some point (assuming his lives a long life) he will look back and realize how stupid he was. Or maybe not. 

I wonder whether this is a move to avoid creditors getting hold of the his future earnings, which they would be able to do under Chapter 11 bankruptcy (I think it's still under Chapter 7, though).

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I wonder whether this is a move to avoid creditors getting hold of the his future earnings, which they would be able to do under Chapter 11 bankruptcy (I think it's still under Chapter 7, though).

This isn't player-initiated though, it was team-initiated.  Apparently, he flew back to Vancouver during his isolation period and didn't report back on time and San Jose is going to try to jam that through as a material breach of contract to avoid not paying him anything.

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I am curious ... because I wouldn't do it now or because I might do it in the future?

because your suggestion of using Romanov as a forward is so wrong

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

because your suggestion of using Romanov as a forward is so wrong

Even for a couple of shifts per game so he can have fun and destroy other teams defencemen like their forwards try to do to him?  And only once he is fully "developed" as a defenceman.

31 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Even for a couple of shifts per game so he can have fun and destroy other teams defencemen like their forwards try to do to him?  And only once he is fully "developed" as a defenceman.

This team has a horrible D-corps. Don’t take a decent young D, therefore, and waste him at FW. Use him on the blueline, where the team is weakest. Plus I fail to see what the point of moving him up is, in terms of his development. Let him learn his craft properly instead of pointlessly jerking him around positionally.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This team has a horrible D-corps. Don’t take a decent young D, therefore, and waste him at FW. Use him on the blueline, where the team is weakest. Plus I fail to see what the point of moving him up is, in terms of his development. Let him learn his craft properly instead of pointlessly jerking him around positionally.

Thank you.

56 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

might as well play price on the PP. He would be great to screen the goalie in the crease :bonk:

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

might as well play price on the PP. He would be great to screen the goalie in the crease :bonk:

But goalies can't go past centre ice.

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

just dress him as a forward for a game or two :nuts:

With current roster that might not be a bad idea.

Allen being pretty candid (is Machabee gonna tear a strip off him?), 

“We need to take things out of this season that are going to be positive, that are going to help this team and this organization next year ... ”

And then Allen said, “Win or loss doesn’t matter at this point.”

2 hours ago, DON said:

Allen being pretty candid (is Machabee gonna tear a strip off him?), 

“We need to take things out of this season that are going to be positive, that are going to help this team and this organization next year ... ”

And then Allen said, “Win or loss doesn’t matter at this point.”

Good for Allen. We need more players willing to tell truths universally acknowledged, as opposed to being generic NHL robots. Hopefully the Gorton regime is progressive enough not to have a conniption fit that Allen said out loud what every man jack is thinking.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good for Allen. We need more players willing to tell truths universally acknowledged, as opposed to being generic NHL robots. Hopefully the Gorton regime is progressive enough not to have a conniption fit that Allen said out loud what every man jack is thinking.

He is absolutely right and kudos to him for saying it. The players know where they are in the standings and realize they would have to go something like 39-9 in the last 48 games (assuming they will play 48 games) to make a playoff spot. I would like to know what the Vegas odds are of that happening?  

Now it's about the process, trying to get better and having good work habits. Something to carry forward next year. Of course along with some great draft picks hopefully. 

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yes, it's public posturing but that might make the goalie and/or Chiarot to Edmonton trade a little harder to pull off.

Are there many other contending teams, that DO have 1st pick or prospect(s) they likely would part with to add him and he is a fit? 

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Yes, it's public posturing but that might make the goalie and/or Chiarot to Edmonton trade a little harder to pull off.

It could be posturing.  Surely Holland must know that the Oilers aren't going to win a Stanley Cup with their current goaltending situation. Not a chance unless absolutely everything goes right for them.  But he's the GM and the one who will have to answer questions if the Oilers make an early exit or don't even make the playoffs. I think they are certainly good enough to make the playoffs, going far in the playoffs is another thing. 

4 hours ago, DON said:

Are there many other contending teams, that DO have 1st pick or prospect(s) they likely would part with to add him and he is a fit? 

I think there are 8-10 teams with legitimate shots at a Stanley Cup this year. There is also the chance that one of those teams could lose a key defenseman between now and the deadline. I would gladly take a 1st next year for him. 

Is something like this even allowed?

Price to Edmonton 

1st and 2nd round pick to Montreal.

Habs retain 50% of Price's contract for this year and next.  Oilers on the hook for 100% after that.

It gives the Oilers two years to win with Price and their current team (more or less) and two years to figure out how to get under the cap with the Price increase in year 3.....

Habs get two picks for Price and $10 million (and change) of cap room.  

I'd do that in a heartbeat if I am Montreal.  And Edmonton gets a chance to WIN NOW!

7 minutes ago, titanfan said:

Is something like this even allowed?

Price to Edmonton 

1st and 2nd round pick to Montreal.

Habs retain 50% of Price's contract for this year and next.  Oilers on the hook for 100% after that.

It gives the Oilers two years to win with Price and their current team (more or less) and two years to figure out how to get under the cap with the Price increase in year 3.....

Habs get two picks for Price and $10 million (and change) of cap room.  

I'd do that in a heartbeat if I am Montreal.  And Edmonton gets a chance to WIN NOW!

If salary is retained, it’s retained for the duration of the contract.  

Sounds like Evander Kane will be signing with Edmonton tonight.

https://oilersnation.com/2022/01/11/apparently-the-oilers-are-close-to-a-deal-with-evander-kane/

I'm not sure I believe it as the NHLPA is grieving his San Jose contract, so he would be ineligible to sign another deal?

• dlbalr unpinned this topic