2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

2 hours ago, DON said:

Agree Habs prospect pool likely average (just guess).

I have not a clue who would be most reliable prospect 'expert'; Pronman, Wheeler, Button, NHL.com guys, Commandant,...

Within Athletic, Wheeler does much more detailed prospect evaluation work than Pronman.

Last year he ranked the Habs in 6th, but Caufield will likely not be included this year since he's likely not going back to Laval for any length of time.

At least we know that Wheeler is not a closet Habs fan! :D I'm OK with his bias, we know what it is so can keep it in mind when reading his ratings.

Rating prospects based on last 30 games is crazy. Wheeler's studying them for years.

33 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

At least we know that Wheeler is not a closet Habs fan! :D I'm OK with his bias, we know what it is so can keep it in mind when reading his ratings.

Rating prospects based on last 30 games is crazy. Wheeler's studying them for years.

Pronman has been studying them for years too.  I'm just saying compare his list from before the season to now and you see how the huge jumps/falls seem to be based on the last 30 or so games

Dvorak on 32.8pt pace, career just 39pt/82gms, so i guess not crazy low, for him.

Thought he had more offense in him, is the tire-fire in both Arizona and Montreal partly to blame?

5 hours ago, DON said:

Dvorak on 32.8pt pace, career just 39pt/82gms, so i guess not crazy low, for him.

Thought he had more offense in him, is the tire-fire in both Arizona and Montreal partly to blame?

I think he has another gear in him still.  This is not exactly an offensive-minded environment so I'd still like to see how he does in that situation.  That said, will Montreal be an offensive-minded environment over the next couple of seasons?

7 hours ago, DON said:

I honestly don't think stats should be looked at for habs players this year. I mean have we gone 2 games with the same lines let alone line up? This year is a wash just bring on the lottery draft. 

11 hours ago, dlbalr said:

That said, will Montreal be an offensive-minded environment over the next couple of seasons?

I think much depends on what kind of D corps Gorton and Hughes decide to build. Will it be Clydesdales again (fewer goals scored for and against) or puck-movers (more goals scored for and against)?

An early indication might be which D-men get moved at the deadline, and definitely so in the summer.

44 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Will it be Clydesdales again...or puck-movers...

Obviously need some of both.

Romanov-Edmundson-Savard-Petry likely will be Habs next year, so only question is, who will be the other 2? And key one is, add a top 4 offensive d-man who isnt a black hole in own end. 

Harris-Guhle, will both start in Laval? Will see how new mgmt handles prospects i suppose, more patience/slower to promote?

Will Gorton or Hughes make any big pronouncements today?

The Clydesdales experiment was a complete aberration in today’s league. I mean - it worked, being the backbone (with Price) of a Cup Finalist. It also yielded diminishing returns as the playoffs ground on, and we gradually suffered more and more from the lack of an offensive push from the back end. It is also a model designed for the playoffs, but not necessarily a model that gets you into the playoffs during a regular 82-game season.

Pretty sure that Gorton will proceed like a normal modern GM and try to get a balance of puck-movers and stay-at-home guys on the back end.

34 minutes ago, DON said:

Harris-Guhle, will both start in Laval? Will see how new mgmt handles prospects i suppose, more patience/slower to promote?

I sure hope that we implement a competent developmental program. Under Bergevin it seems like we were clueless with young players.

54 minutes ago, DON said:

Obviously need some of both.

Romanov-Edmundson-Savard-Petry likely will be Habs next year, so only question is, who will be the other 2? And key one is, add a top 4 offensive d-man who isnt a black hole in own end. 

Will Gorton or Hughes make any big pronouncements today?

I hope Petry gets traded to get a prospect or a late 1st round pick for him

If you look at the Ds this season, signed by the previous GM:

Puck moving D (although no one elite): Petry, Wideman, Kulak, Niku. I do not remember well but I think Clague was picked up by Gorton

Big-horse-type: Chiarot, Romanov(?), Edmundson, Savard

I think that the idea that the Habs do not have a balance on D was dispelled this season by MB. And the recipe brought the Habs to the finals when Weber worn himself out, gave it all he had.

I expect Chiarot will be gone, so in the stay-at-home category we should at the minimum have Romanov and Edmundson, maybe also Savard.

Will Petry be here next year? If not, maybe Clague and/or Niku will stay for another year or two while Harris and Guhle mature in Laval. And I sure hope Gorton/Hughes will not rush them.

32 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope Petry gets traded to get a prospect or a late 1st round pick for him

If you look at the Ds this season, signed by the previous GM:

Puck moving D (although no one elite): Petry, Wideman, Kulak, Niku. I do not remember well but I think Clague was picked up by Gorton

Big-horse-type: Chiarot, Romanov(?), Edmundson, Savard

I think that the idea that the Habs do not have a balance on D was dispelled this season by MB. And the recipe brought the Habs to the finals when Weber worn himself out, gave it all he had.

The problem with this organization is what's its always been depth and hanging onto aging players way to long and ending up not replacing them when they leave or retire.  Their is a reason why we can't win games when we go through injuries to key players, because we just don't have the depth or talent in the farm system to over come the long term key injuries.

Instead of making trades to bring in someone to help until the player returns, we do nothing and hope our 3/4 line talent and not NHL ready players and fill the hole. But that never happens and we tail spin. 

The D guys you just listed on any other team are bottom pairing guys. But because of lack of depth and talent on Montreal these guys are playing top paring minutes. Our D needs to get blown up and rebuild.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

The problem with this organization is what's its always been depth and hanging onto aging players way to long and ending up not replacing them when they leave or retire.  Their is a reason why we can't win games when we go through injuries to key players, because we just don't have the depth or talent in the farm system to over come the long term key injuries.

Are they any different than vast majority of teams?

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Instead of making trades to bring in someone to help until the player returns, we do nothing and hope our 3/4 line talent. 

Bergevin likely made more trades than almost any GM during his time (and big ones), hasnt he?

But, no he hasnt dealt away many 1st round picks as stop gaps, which i am OK with, again we all saw Rangers/Sather deal away every 1st pick for 4 or 5 years in a row with a 1 finals appearance...Then Gorton had to blow it up and have fire sale.

SO, it aint quite as easy as you make it out to be, thats all. 

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... I think that the idea that the Habs do not have a balance on D was dispelled this season by MB ...

True ... for the most part they have played poorly and been disappointing ... fairly balanced across the entire the D-corps.

1 hour ago, Helmethead said:

If I were a gm I’d be looking to buy Petry on the cheap. 

He hasn’t suddenly forgotten to play. 

Hopefully Hughes won't sell him on the cheap.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He should

Should, got nothing to do with reality.

Alcohol is a poison to human body...no one 'SHOULD' drink it ever (has zero redeeming qualities)...BUT...

17 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think much depends on what kind of D corps Gorton and Hughes decide to build. Will it be Clydesdales again (fewer goals scored for and against) or puck-movers (more goals scored for and against)?

An early indication might be which D-men get moved at the deadline, and definitely so in the summer.

It better be the puck moving option. If we are going to endure a painful rebuild, I want some hope of a fast exciting team comes out of the pain. You look a Tampa, dressed 4 dman, and on convincingly. That should be the model. Not Clydesdale and going only as far as your goalie can carry you.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It better be the puck moving option. If we are going to endure a painful rebuild, I want some hope of a fast exciting team comes out of the pain. You look a Tampa, dressed 4 dman, and on convincingly. That should be the model. Not Clydesdale and going only as far as your goalie can carry you.

Well, they will already have Savard-Petry-Edmundson-Romanov and lots for a 3rd pairing to start with. So not sure a huge upgrade or change on the backend will be coming, at least next year.

Obviously, a top 4 puck mover is needed (RH preferable to push Petry down to 2nd pairing), just maybe not happening next year, if new guys looking more long term rebuild? 

Not sure understand Tampa model?

24 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, they will already have Savard-Petry-Edmundson-Romanov and lots for a 3rd pairing to start with. So not sure a huge upgrade or change on the backend will be coming, at least next year.

Obviously, a top 4 puck mover is needed (RH preferable to push Petry down to 2nd pairing), just maybe not happening next year, if new guys looking more long term rebuild? 

Not sure understand Tampa model?

Well, Hughes did say yesterday that he wants a fast team with offensive capability, so that does imply a D corps capable of moving the puck.

Will all of Savard, Petry and Edmundson be here next year? I hope Edmundson stays, we'll see what they decide about the rest.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic