2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Well, Hughes did say yesterday that he wants a fast team with offensive capability, so that does imply a D corps capable of moving the puck.

Sorry, seems just common sense stuff and didnt say nothing new. 

Will all of Savard, Petry and Edmundson be here next year? I 

I would say guess YES, or at least better chance of it than any of the 3 being moved.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Well, Hughes did say yesterday that he wants a fast team with offensive capability, so that does imply a D corps capable of moving the puck.

Will all of Savard, Petry and Edmundson be here next year? I hope Edmundson stays, we'll see what they decide about the rest.

I don’t want Edmundson moved. Assuming he has not lost something during his year off - possibly a big assumption, admittedly - I think he can be a really valuable stabilizing presence on a rebuilding team. 

Savard and Petry are both enthusiastically welcome to leave as far as I’m concerned, but I seriously doubt any team wants to take on those contracts. As I’ve griped before, this is what pisses me off so much about Petry this year…if he were even playing at 75% of his usual level, he could command a king’s ransom. But no, he has to go and fall completely off a cliff and be absolutely terrible, making him highly un-tradeable; so instead of becoming an asset who could help to turbo-charge the rebuild, he becomes nothing but dead weight for the next three years. Swell.

If other GMs only look at Petry's numbers this year, he'll be undesirable, but the overall team performance factors into that as well. He's surely still capable of more than what we have seen this year. Might need to retain some salary though.

Savard is much less expensive and contributed to Tampa's efforts last year, too. Will anyone be looking for that, at $3.5M? An excellent question.

Petry's game seems to have imploded in the absence of Edmundson. Last year, he did great when playing with him and not so great with others.

With Edmundson about to return, I am almost certain they will be paired together and barring injuries, he will go back to performing well.

I still believe that he should be traded for a late 1st round pick from a cup contending team. It would be the best for the Habs and it would give Petry the chance to win a cup before he retires.

image.png

55 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The problem is that he's 34. With three more years on a big ticket. If I'm a GM, I steer well clear of a player whose game might simply have collapsed due to old age, thanks.

I know that, yes he is old and he is going to decline. My point is that he may be the missing piece on a win-now team.

Petry is a good second pair RD that needs a very good stay at home LD to excel. He can make the difference on a playoff run and win help a couple of games. I doubt he is as valuable next year and for this reason I believe he should be traded

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I know that, yes he is old and he is going to decline. My point is that he may be the missing piece on a win-now team.

Petry is a good second pair RD that needs a very good stay at home LD to excel. He can make the difference on a playoff run and win help a couple of games. I doubt he is as valuable next year and for this reason I believe he should be traded

He absolutely should be traded. I'm just skeptical that he can be, given his age, contract, and appalling performance.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... Petry is a good second pair RD that needs a very good stay at home LD to excel. He can make the difference on a playoff run and win help a couple of games. I doubt he is as valuable next year and for this reason I believe he should be traded

If Joel can get back and show he is healthy, in a draft/summer trade, I wonder if a "win now" team disappointed with the upcoming playoffs might look to trade for both Petry and Edmundson?

Can't recall a previous trade for a D pairing, or linemates, but there is a first for everything (although my memory for such things is poor) ... bundling a more reasonable cap hit with Petry might facilitate a trade, while also making it more complicated (obviously).

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

If Joel can get back and show he is healthy, in a draft/summer trade, I wonder if a "win now" team disappointed with the upcoming playoffs might look to trade for both Petry and Edmundson?

Can't recall a previous trade for a D pairing, or linemates, but there is a first for everything (although my memory for such things is poor) ... bundling a more reasonable cap hit with Petry might facilitate a trade, while also making it more complicated (obviously).

Joel Edmundson is not hurt physically, he has been tending to his Dad who passed away recently.

Why would the Habs trade him? he has a team-friendly contract and is just entering his peak years

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Joel Edmundson is not hurt physically, he has been tending to his Dad who passed away recently.

Why would the Habs trade him? he has a team-friendly contract and is just entering his peak years

I was just wondering about a possible means to move Petry's contract, which currently does not seem to be team-friendly ... I wasn't advocating for trading Edmundson or suggesting he had to be traded ... but if a trade makes the team better ANYBODY can be traded.

44 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I was just wondering about a possible means to move Petry's contract, which currently does not seem to be team-friendly ... I wasn't advocating for trading Edmundson or suggesting he had to be traded ... but if a trade makes the team better ANYBODY can be traded.

And anybody can discover the cure for COVID

now... about what is likely to happen ... thoughts ?!

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He absolutely should be traded. I'm just skeptical that he can be, given his age, contract, and appalling performance.

I am sure that at least 25 other GMs would have happily signed Petry to the extension Bergevin did. I’m also sure that many of these same GMs will be trying to get Petry at a discount. I hope that our new  VP and GM are canny enough not to sell assets at pennies on the dollar just to clear space. Although I’m not really sure why they would be in a hurry to dump Petry anways. One subpar season does not mean he’s done 

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I think part of the Habs problem is the length of some contracts that their players have.  Most win now teams might have an issue moving forward.  Picking up a multi  year contract player could cost them 1 their top prospects because they wouldnt have cap room to resign them.  Most teams probably want short 1 year rental players.  

I recall the Habs getting 2 guys from the 3rd or 4th line off Buffalo.  Surprisingly,the Habs resigned them too and the Sabers were 1 of the worst teams in the NHL at that time.  

8 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I think part of the Habs problem is the length of some contracts that their players have.  Most win now teams might have an issue moving forward ...

Some of the contracts will be difficult to move ... be it in the context of my hypothetical or something else, those contracts are most likely to be moved around the draft or over the summer, if it all.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, PMAC said:

I am sure that at least 25 other GMs would have happily signed Petry to the extension Bergevin did. I’m also sure that many of these same GMs will be trying to get Petry at a discount. I hope that our new  VP and GM are canny enough not to sell assets at pennies on the dollar just to clear space. Although I’m not really sure why they would be in a hurry to dump Petry anways. One subpar season does not mean he’s done 

This isn’t about Bergevin, it’s about a 34-year-old who is signed at 6.2 per for the next three years and whose game has completely cratered. 4 points in 32 games is a bad joke for a guy of his profile - a sudden collapse in production and overall effectiveness that is worse than what happened to Scott Gomez in 2011 or Tomas Plekanec in 2017.

A contender would be willing to take him on as a rental, that I don’t doubt. But few contenders have the cap space to add a $6-million hit for three more years for an old man whose game looks suspiciously like it’s evaporated.

The best thing to do with him is probably what you suggest in your second last line. Hold on to him and cross your fingers that Petry can recover something resembling his form next season - and then trade him for meaningful assets. If, as I fear, he has simply aged out, then you’re stuck with his cap hit for the next three years; but probably that $6 mil matters less to a rebuilding team. And maybe you can bury him in Laval toward the tail end of the contract when we need to use that space to add players who can help us win.

52 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This isn’t about Bergevin, it’s about a 34-year-old who is signed at 6.2 per for the next three years and whose game has completely cratered. 4 points in 32 games is a bad joke for a guy of his profile - a sudden collapse in production and overall effectiveness that is worse than what happened to Scott Gomez in 2011 or Tomas Plekanec in 2017.

A contender would be willing to take him on as a rental, that I don’t doubt. But few contenders have the cap space to add a $6-million hit for three more years for an old man whose game looks suspiciously like it’s evaporated.

The best thing to do with him is probably what you suggest in your second last line. Hold on to him and cross your fingers that Petry can recover something resembling his form next season - and then trade him for meaningful assets. If, as I fear, he has simply aged out, then you’re stuck with his cap hit for the next three years; but probably that $6 mil matters less to a rebuilding team. And maybe you can bury him in Laval toward the tail end of the contract when we need to use that space to add players who can help us win.

My intention wasn’t to defend Bergevin but just to point out that Perry’s deal was reasonable when it was signed. I believe Petry started the season playing hurt and couldn’t handle his forced rise to our #1 D. I think he will be fine next season in a 2, 3 or 4 role. I think comparisons to Gomez are premature. 

14 minutes ago, PMAC said:

My intention wasn’t to defend Bergevin but just to point out that Perry’s deal was reasonable when it was signed. I believe Petry started the season playing hurt and couldn’t handle his forced rise to our #1 D. I think he will be fine next season in a 2, 3 or 4 role. I think comparisons to Gomez are premature. 

I tend to agree ... in recent years Petry has performed well and also done a very good job when he had to fill in to step up to the top pairing if Weber was out short-term ... but I personally have not had great confidence that he would handle being THE top pairing RHD ... I hope, and believe, that this season is a combination of injury carry-over from last season/playoffs, and the "burden" of the change in his role ... I don't think it would take much for other GMs to have confidence that he would again be a top-end/elite second pairing RHD.

The thing with Petry is that it's not a full season of struggling (at least not yet), its less than half a season that he's actually played with all our postponements and everything. 

I don't think he's tradeable at the deadline. 

That said, His game may even rebound in the second half of this current season which would ease a lot of GMs concerns and they could say it was just a half-season blip, and he could be tradeable in summer. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic