2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

13 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I recall the Habs getting 2 guys from the 3rd or 4th line off Buffalo.  Surprisingly,the Habs resigned them too and the Sabers were 1 of the worst teams in the NHL at that time.  

Yep - Torrey Mitchell and Brian Flynn.  Mitchell wrapped up his career soon after leaving Montreal while Flynn is still playing, he's in New Jersey's system now.

On 1/20/2022 at 2:18 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The problem is that he's 34. With three more years on a big ticket. If I'm a GM, I steer well clear of a player whose game might simply have collapsed due to old age, thanks.

I think you are wrong based on the fact that Petry is still skating well. I think this is a focus issue which can be fixed. In any case, there is no sense in trading Petry right now  at a discount: especially since we don’t have a replacement ready. 

41 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Would be funny if Montreal got the 1st overall pick with the draft being in Montreal. Kind of funny how that's working itself out.🤔

True ... but apparently (from what I've read) NEXT year is the time to get the #1 (Wright and other top rated 2022 picks are good, but Bedard is a generational player) ... could Hughes pull an "Oilers"?

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

True ... but apparently (from what I've read) NEXT year is the time to get the #1 (Wright and other top rated 2022 picks are good, but Bedard is a generational player) ... could Hughes pull an "Oilers"?

I hope not, Oilers suck

21- Buffalo worst and 1st pick

20-Detroit worst......NY Rangers 1st pick

19-Ottawa worst....New Jersey 1st pick

18-Buffalo worst and 1st pick

17-Aves worst...New Jersey 1st pick.

2 of last 5 last place teams got 1st pick.

But Red Wings #5 pick Raymond 32p in 40gms as rookie (Ranger pick 32pts in 94gms)

But Aves #4 pick Makar not a bad pick.....

So even if Habs dont win lottery, sometimes it still works out for those who get bumped.

47 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If we are going to rebuild then yes blow it up next 2 years think nothing but 1st overall pick.

Even finishing last you have less than a 1/4 chance of being 1st overall.... hope to get it, but you don't plan to get the 1st pick.  There are no guarantees. 

Obviously I want more lottery balls this year cause we are shit, but  you still have to think about team building even if you don't get wright or bedard. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Even finishing last you have less than a 1/4 chance of being 1st overall.... hope to get it, but you don't plan to get the 1st pick.  There are no guarantees. 

Obviously I want more lottery balls this year cause we are shit, but  you still have to think about team building even if you don't get wright or bedard. 

And it's also starting to look like Wright is not the consensus #1 pick anyway, he hasn't had a great year while others have stepped up. Maybe the #1 pick this year won't be such an advantage. I get a little leery of the hype as media sometimes like to build up players a bit too much, I guess hype helps  to sell papers

Yakupov was the consensus #1 pick by almost everyone in the media (it was hyped as the Nail, Mikhail draft - both turned out to be busts) , Nolan Patrick was #1 or #2 in all the media reports, another bust. Not saying Wright won't turn out to be excellent NHL player just saying that the hype is  a little too much for a guy who has had an underwhelming year. 

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/traikos-why-shane-wright-is-no-longer-the-top-prospect-heading-into-the-nhl-entry-draft

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Neech said:

Detroit got screwed twice in the lottery and still wound up with Seider and Raymond.  We just have to hit, wherever we're picking.  Sergachev is our only first-round hit of the past decade.

Agreed. I really don't see the Habs drafting any lower than 5 when you consider Price/Allen are pretty much done for most if not all the rest of the year so they need to get it right. They might catch Arizona, Seattle  and maybe Buffalo but that's about it.  The Habs cannot mess up at the draft this year. Plus another 1st round pick will help.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

But you fully expect Chiarot to bring a #20-32pick in 1st round. 

So a top 5 pick and mid -late 1st, could it be 2007-like results...:pray:

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

And it's also starting to look like Wright is not the consensus #1 pick anyway, he hasn't had a great year while others have stepped up. Maybe the #1 pick this year won't be such an advantage. I get a little leery of the hype as media sometimes like to build up players a bit too much, I guess hype helps  to sell papers

Yakupov was the consensus #1 pick by almost everyone in the media (it was hyped as the Nail, Mikhail draft - both turned out to be busts) , Nolan Patrick was #1 or #2 in all the media reports, another bust. Not saying Wright won't turn out to be excellent NHL player just saying that the hype is  a little too much for a guy who has had an underwhelming year. 

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/traikos-why-shane-wright-is-no-longer-the-top-prospect-heading-into-the-nhl-entry-draft

Traikos is a joke reporter.

Bob mckenzie did his midseason list this week and still has wright #1.

I get his numbers have been a bit underwhelming but hes been better lately after a slow start.  I think people are unfair on him considering he lost a year to the pandemic.

I also think people like to create drama.  Even when mcdavid was #1 there was talk that eichel could catch him.  With Matthews they said Laine had a chance to be number 1.  Drouin and Seth Jones were threatening MacKinnon.  The media wants a battle for number 1.... a vs b... its more fun for them to have a race to cover than a runaway #1

16 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope not, Oilers suck

As you undoubtedly know, I meant back-to-back fist overall picks, not matching their "roster building" around the top picks ... Oilers actually went first - first - first - seventh - third - first - fourth ... THAT sequence I could do without

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... Maybe the #1 pick this year won't be such an advantage ...

It's always an advantage if you have good scouting ... even in 2012 the Oilers could have identified Reilly, Lindholm, Dumba, Trouba or Forsberg and been further ahead than with Yakupov.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

... Bob mckenzie did his midseason list this week and still has wright #1 ... I get his numbers have been a bit underwhelming but hes been better lately after a slow start.  I think people are unfair on him considering he lost a year to the pandemic ...

Exactly ... THAT is where good scouting comes in ... usually such a "lost season" associates to a major injury, making draft decisions even more complicated ... at least Wright was healthy and able to both work out and do skills training ... that lost 20/21 OHL season, and shortened WHL and QMJHL seasons, may mean some CHL players slip lower in the 2022 draft than they might have otherwise ... it also means factoring in the potential "bias" of having been able to scout Euro/Russian prospects last season.

The draft isn't about picking the best player in their draft year, or even who will be the best player in the NHL the next season, but being able to project who will become the best NHL player going forward.

Tanquistes always forget about the lottery system. It’s kind of amazing, given that the system has been in place forever. All they remember is Toronto picking Auston Matthews, I guess.

(Now obviously, in a year like this one, our only hope resides in a high pick, so yes, tanking makes sense. I’m talking more about the folks who insist that if you’re not a clear-cut elite team in any given year, you should “blow it up” and tank).

I doubt we will get the #1 pick. We don’t have that kind of luck.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... I’m talking more about the folks who insist that if you’re not a clear-cut elite team in any given year, you should “blow it up” and tank ...

Don't entirely disagree ... but the seasons in which the Habs have been "a clear-cut elite team" have been few since the '93 Cup ... just five with a .600+ points percentage ... also, "tanking" needs to carefully planned, including well timed (e.g., in 2013 not 2012), as part of a process ... it is rarely a single draft miracle for success.

16 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It's always an advantage if you have good scouting ... even in 2012 the Oilers could have identified Reilly, Lindholm, Dumba, Trouba or Forsberg and been further ahead than with Yakupov.

Good scouting ... and luck. Prospects don't always turn out as expected, and that's why there are occasional home run picks later on, too.

36 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I think was about 100% who had Yakapov as #1, not just Oilers. Same as Galchenyuk, pretty popular choice at 3. 

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

God, this pic makes me wanna puke, much as KK himself does

:pray::pray::pray:

Let's hope my misery ends soon, I am starting to enjoy trolling our forum...

:pray::pray::pray:

27 minutes ago, DON said:

I think was about 100% who had Yakapov as #1, not just Oilers. Same as Galchenyuk, pretty popular choice at 3. 

True from the media/experts perspective ... we'll never know who NHL teams actually had rated as the best selections.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

True from the media/experts perspective ... we'll never know who NHL teams actually had rated as the best selections.

Yakapov & Galchenyuk both had good rookie seasons also...did Habs/Oiler both screw up on coaching/development? 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

As you undoubtedly know, I meant back-to-back fist overall picks, not matching their "roster building" around the top picks ... Oilers actually went first - first - first - seventh - third - first - fourth ... THAT sequence I could do without

If there GM had gotten an actual goalie, and didn’t focus on trading for and signing an overpaid senior citizen defenceman, and goalie, I hey wouldn’t be in this mess. He’s made things worse by not getting a goalie and firing Tippet.

The oilers situation reminds me of when Price first got injured and MB did squat, by not getting a legit backup and firing Therrien. Only difference is that Oilers have way too much talent to miss the playoffs, if they do, Holland should be fired along with Tippet. MB wasted the Price, Maxpac, Subban, Gallagher core. Holland is in danger of wasting another year or two of the top 5 players in the game.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic