2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Traikos is a joke reporter.

Bob mckenzie did his midseason list this week and still has wright #1.

I get his numbers have been a bit underwhelming but hes been better lately after a slow start.  I think people are unfair on him considering he lost a year to the pandemic.

I also think people like to create drama.  Even when mcdavid was #1 there was talk that eichel could catch him.  With Matthews they said Laine had a chance to be number 1.  Drouin and Seth Jones were threatening MacKinnon.  The media wants a battle for number 1.... a vs b... its more fun for them to have a race to cover than a runaway #1

The article Traikos wrote was based on conversations with a scout. Would I rather the Habs draft #1 than #5?  Of course I would. It also probably  means a higher 2nd round pick. Just pointing out that it's not so obvious who will be #1 this year as Wright hasn't been that impressive this year and sometimes the consensus has been wrong.  

I thought it was interesting when Bobby Clarke absolutely threw Ron Hextall under the bus for not drafting Makar when he said all their scouts wanted him instead of Nolan Patrick.  Maybe it's easier for the GM to take the consensus pick. I am not sure how those conversations go between a GM and scouts at draft time. It was a cheap shot by Clarke though which is not surprising. Don't know why he did it. 

11 minutes ago, DON said:

Yakapov & Galchenyuk both had good rookie seasons also...did Habs/Oiler both screw up on coaching/development? 

Is that a rhetorical question🤔 I think they both screwed the pooch big time. Like I said in an earlier post, if the Oilers don’t make the playoffs, AND win a round, Holland should be fired. Too many idiotic decisions. This isn’t the hr early 2000’s, when he could sign:trade for an old Chicago dman.  I don’t know what was worse - the Keith trade, or Smith contract. 

I get they’ve been through a lot of GM’s and coaches, but they need someone who the game hasn’t passed by. Holland’s work at the end of his tenure in Detroit already was evidence that the game has  passed him by.

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The article Traikos wrote was based on conversations with a scout. Would I rather the Habs draft #1 than #5?  Of course I would. It also probably  means a higher 2nd round pick. Just pointing out that it's not so obvious who will be #1 this year as Wright hasn't been that impressive this year and sometimes the consensus has been wrong.  

I thought it was interesting when Bobby Clarke absolutely threw Ron Hextall under the bus for not drafting Makar when he said all their scouts wanted him instead of Nolan Patrick.  Maybe it's easier for the GM to take the consensus pick. I am not sure how those conversations go between a GM and scouts at draft time. It was a cheap shot by Clarke though which is not surprising. Don't know why he did it. 

Because Clark is a turd. This is one of the idiotic players who stuck with Eagleson till the end. Also was a charTer reference for a wife beater/abuser. Enough said.

26 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

True from the media/experts perspective ... we'll never know who NHL teams actually had rated as the best selections.

That's true. I suspect it's quite often different from what we see as the consensus top picks in the listings.  Who does Bob Mckenzie survey when he makes his picks?  If you were a scout getting paid by an NHL team why would you tell any media person your secrets?  

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Bob mckenzies list is by interviewing scouts too.... multiple scouts.  Traikos is cherry picking one particular scout who feels different than the concensus.  There are always a couple.

Mckenzie had 9/10 put wright first.

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Because Clark is a turd. 

You will no argument from me. The one thing I remember is his comment when they had to replace Roger Neilsen as coach.

"The Neilson situation - Roger got cancer - that wasn't our fault. We didn't tell him to go get cancer. It's too bad that he did. We feel sorry for him, but then he went goofy on us."

What a stupid comment.  Enough said. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You will no argument from me. The one thing I remember is his comment when they had to replace Roger Neilsen as coach.

"The Neilson situation - Roger got cancer - that wasn't our fault. We didn't tell him to go get cancer. It's too bad that he did. We feel sorry for him, but then he went goofy on us."

What a stupid comment.  Enough said. 

Yep. There’s a lot of Clarke comments like that. What else could be expected from the captain of the broad street bullies.

We all want to know what DD was thinking.:popcorn:

Julien Mackenzie:

"Michael PezzettaWe may never know why the Canadiens opted to scratch Michael Pezzetta against the Arizona Coyotes earlier this week. He now has three goals in his last four games and goals in back-to-back games for the first time in his young NHL career. Good things happen when you go to the net, or use your face."

Just curious, they do announce coach's salaries, but do they do same for GMs/Presidents of teams, or is that more confidential?

3 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Great news everyone!  TSN has published an article for the first time ever saying the Leaf have a good shot at the cup and this year is different!

Or is that an annual article?

17 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Or is that an annual article?

Actually, Toronto is a portent to any rebuilding team. 

The lesson is: you can amass a highly competitive squad with elite talent, but it may still require several years before it breaks through in the playoffs. Look at San Jose - contenders for years, but it took them like a decade to reach the Finals - or the Red Wings in the 1990s, early exits for several seasons before they finally cracked the code.

Habs fans, who are probably looking at 4-5 years before the Habs can realistically be in a position to contend, should keep this in mind.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... Habs fans, who are probably looking at 4-5 years before the Habs can realistically be in a position to contend, should keep this in mind.

I always have ... hopefully others too

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Actually, Toronto is a portent to any rebuilding team. 

The lesson is: you can amass a highly competitive squad with elite talent, but it may still require several years before it breaks through in the playoffs. Look at San Jose - contenders for years, but it took them like a decade to reach the Finals - or the Red Wings in the 1990s, early exits for several seasons before they finally cracked the code.

Habs fans, who are probably looking at 4-5 years before the Habs can realistically be in a position to contend, should keep this in mind.

I don’t mind them having to learn how to win, after becoming a playoff team. What I want to get out of the perpetual bubble team hamster wheel that we‘ve been on for most of the years since “The Trade” 27 years ago.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:30 AM, hab29RETIRED said:

Is that a rhetorical question🤔 I think they both screwed the pooch big time. Like I said in an earlier post, if the Oilers don’t make the playoffs, AND win a round, Holland should be fired. Too many idiotic decisions. This isn’t the hr early 2000’s, when he could sign:trade for an old Chicago dman.  I don’t know what was worse - the Keith trade, or Smith contract. 

I get they’ve been through a lot of GM’s and coaches, but they need someone who the game hasn’t passed by. Holland’s work at the end of his tenure in Detroit already was evidence that the game has  passed him by.

100% the Keith trade. Terrible contract for a player who is nowhere near that value.

Smith could be fine as a backup. His performance last year was amazing but he is old and gets injured.

Sounds like Gallagher, Byron, Caufield, Armia? all be back on Sat.

Brook, Oulette also healing up and be back with Laval 

Niku on waivers

Armia 1g in 34 games, i remember arguing disagreeing in Sept, bunch folks saying he was 20g+goal scorer...

48 minutes ago, DON said:

Sounds like Gallagher, Byron, Caufield, Armia? all be back on Sat.

Brook, Oulette also healing up and be back with Laval 

Niku on waivers

Armia 1g in 34 games, i remember arguing disagreeing in Sept, bunch folks saying he was 20g+goal scorer...

I doubt if he could be a consistent enough player to ever be capable of scoring 20 goals even in the AHL.

On 1/26/2022 at 12:34 PM, DON said:

Yes, and the sensible among us laughed our heads off

On 1/26/2022 at 2:21 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

I doubt if he could be a consistent enough player to ever be capable of scoring 20 goals even in the AHL.

3 years ago Armia scored 13 goals in 57 games, 2 years ago he scored 16 goals in 58 games (pace of 22 goals over 82 games), last year 7 goals in 41 games.  So before this awful year for everybody he scored 36 goals in 156 games during the last 3 seasons which pro rates to 18.9 goals over 82 games. 

Sure he has been awful this year like a lot of Habs but do you really think it's that ridiculous to suggest he could score 20 goals in a season? I don't think so.  I didn't laugh my head off at the suggestion. Always easier to look smarter in the rear view mirror 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

3 years ago Armia scored 13 goals in 57 games, 2 years ago he scored 16 goals in 58 games (pace of 22 goals over 82 games), last year 7 goals in 41 games.  So before this awful year for everybody he scored 36 goals in 156 games during the last 3 seasons which pro rates to 18.9 goals over 82 games. 

Sure he has been awful this year like a lot of Habs but do you really think it's that ridiculous to suggest he could score 20 goals in a season? I don't think so.  I didn't laugh my head off at the suggestion. Always easier to look smarter in the rear view mirror 

Pace is meaningless, unless its over a full year. players go hot on streaks, but can't keep it up over 82 games. some players can't maintain the pace, others can't stay healthy. Mathews scored 41 in 52 games, but hasn't scored 60 or 70 in a season. Laine was on pace for 70 goals at the end of November one year, and I think he finished with 30, of 40. Has Armia even scored 20 in the minors?  

Just now, dlbalr said:

He hasn't but he also never had a full season in the minors; his career high in GP in a single year was 54.

thanks. I doubt he's played a full year for us either. always seems injured.

33 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Has Armia even scored 20 in the minors?  

What he has done in the minors is meaningless, it's what he does in the NHL that matters. No question he has struggled to stay healthy and that has hurt him but the potential is there to score 20 if he can stay healthy. 

10 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

What he has done in the minors is meaningless, it's what he does in the NHL that matters. No question he has struggled to stay healthy and that has hurt him but the potential is there to score 20 if he can stay healthy. 

At 28 (29 in May) potential is no longer so important ... he is what he is ... IMO a 3rd liner at best, 4th liner on a strong team

• dlbalr unpinned this topic