2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

6 hours ago, DON said:

Not Hab related but, if only...

Such a different player than #99/#66 were. Not sure who is even a comparable (the Rocket, B.Hull, Lindros?)?

But, the man is some strong on his slates, that is for sure.

Howe or Lindros, Neely for physical toughness for a skilled player, but they couldn’t score like Ovechkin. Richard for drive to the net and simply no one for ability to score- Bossy, Hull probably the closest pure scorers.

Currently on a 102-point pace, his highest in a decade.

Does anyone have an explanation for why his production - after staying consistently at a PPG pace for a decade - has suddenly spiked upward?

One of the all-time great players, no question about it. If there is any asterisk attached to his career, it would be that it took him 11 years to lead his team to a Cup...not really much of an asterisk at all.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Does anyone have an explanation for why his production - after staying consistently at a PPG pace for a decade - has suddenly spiked upward?

Chemical enhancement, is that what you hinting at? Barry Bonds-like?

Or maybe he, trimmed down, worked out more, simply gave up liquor or started looking after himself better or ??

1 minute ago, DON said:

Chemical enhancement, is that what you hinting at? Barry Bonds-like?

Or maybe he, trimmed down, worked out more, simply gave up liquor or started looking after himself better or ??

My goodness, no, nothing of the sort. I meant more whether WASH has a new system, something like that.

14 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My goodness, no, nothing of the sort. I meant more whether WASH has a new system, something like that.

They've had a lot of injuries this season.  Possibly his role changed slightly during Backstroms absence? 

I assume many/most/all NHL teams will be doing this ... but I like the habs version

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think pro scouts know who chiarot is.  I almost would sit him to avoid a recurrence of the injury and keep his trade value. 

Agreed ... the ONLY reason I would feel a need to play him is if they have a great offer but it is contingent on seeing him play (unlikely, but possible).

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Oilers are sure getting the new coach bounce. Wonder how long it will continue? 

Koskinen is .919 over the last six games as opposed to .900 for the season. Is that a result of the D playing better, or is his play actually improved?

At the moment the Oilers look much less desperate for help in G.

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Koskinen is .919 over the last six games as opposed to .900 for the season. Is that a result of the D playing better, or is his play actually improved?

Not having a coach throw you under the bus on multiple occasions probably is an incentive to play better.

I’m by no means a Koskinen fan, but never really cared for Tippet.

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Good question. Maybe the firing woke the players up and they realized they needed to play defence. Playing good team defence can make the goalies look a whole lot better.  Oilers can be a dangerous team if they can look after the back end. 

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If anyone was worried about the Habs making up too much ground on Arizona with the win today, the Coyotes pulled off the upset tonight against Dallas, winning 3-1.

Yes, I just saw that. I have turned into a bit of a Coyote fan this year. Go Yotes!!

The teams at the bottom of the league have been pretty consistent. Last 10 games:

• Buffalo 3-6-1
  • Philadelphia 2-7-1
  • New Jersey 2-8
  • Seattle 3-7
  • Arizona 3-7
  • Montreal 2-8

Hopefully we have nothing to worry about, even if we get some occasional wins. 😁

• dlbalr unpinned this topic