2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

In their primes ... yes ... today ... not certain

I think for this one playoff run, I’d rather have Gio over Chiarot. I think the leafs not having to give up a 1st is a very good trade - particularly with the Kraken retaining 50%.

I also think seeing what the Kraken got for Giordano, Hughes got a hell of a return for Chiarot, and that Francis should probably fired after his 1st year. He fxcked up the expansion draft, and there is no way way Seattle should be as bad as they are, given the the options they had at the draft. He was way to conservative and slow on rebuilding the Canes, and looks to be taking the same approach in Seattle.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Chiarot got the better return so that tells you what the GM's in the league think.  

I think he probably waited too long by asking too much and the options became too limited. Francis screwed up at the expansion draft and pretty much messed up at the deadline so far as well.

Seems like Francis got less for Giordano because he wanted to accommodate his desire to go to Toronto.  Not happy about it, but the Leafs got a great deal.  Hopefully it doesn't matter with their goaltending woes and the rest of the division loading up. 

Scratch McBain off the wish list.  He opts to not sign with Minnesota - a good team that had room for him down the middle - to go to Arizona - a team that's not going anywhere anytime soon.  Curious decision to say the least.

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Scratch McBain off the wish list.  He opts to not sign with Minnesota - a good team that had room for him down the middle - to go to Arizona - a team that's not going anywhere anytime soon.  Curious decision to say the least.

That's too bad, it sounded like Hughes was really interested and McBain seemed like an interesting option. Obviously he thought the Habs 2nd rounder was too steep a price tp pay  for him.  He will certainly get a chance to play in Arizona. 

So do the habs do any other trades tomorrow?🤔

Drouin and Byron have 2 years left so could be interesting pick ups for playoff team's. 

Kulak, wideman, Dauphin, PERREAULT all ufa's 

Lehkonen, Pitlick , Pezzetta  all rfa's 

All players could be interesting pick ups for playoff team's wanting to add depth.

Drouin could be an interesting opinion for the Avs if they lose out on other's. Would have to eat some of his contract I would think.

32 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's too bad, it sounded like Hughes was really interested and McBain seemed like an interesting option. Obviously he thought the Habs 2nd rounder was too steep a price tp pay  for him.  He will certainly get a chance to play in Arizona. 

I've "read" that Hughes wanted McBain to agree to sign before making the deal, and he wouldn't ... it will be interesting to see how quickly, or if, he signs with the Yotes ... the weather is nice, the state tax is low, likely lots of TOI next season, and it has been proven that you can force a trade out of Arizona if you are unhappy ... there is even the possibility that his parents retired to Arizona.

12 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Lehkonen & Kulak seem reasonable to be moved, value seems pretty high at moment and seem replaceable players on the roster. 

12 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Drouin and Byron have 2 years left so could be interesting pick ups for playoff team's. 

Kulak, wideman, Dauphin, PERREAULT all ufa's 

Lehkonen, Pitlick , Pezzetta  all rfa's 

All players could be interesting pick ups for playoff team's wanting to add depth.

Drouin could be an interesting opinion for the Avs if they lose out on other's. Would have to eat some of his contract I would think.

Byron and Drouin aren't going anywhere as I don't think Hughes want to eat any of their contracts right now. Of the UFA group only Kulak will generate considerable  interest.  Of the RFA's, Lehkonen is the big question mark. He has obviously generated a lot of interest but will the offer big enough to tempt Hughes to trade him?  

Your point, Dubas?

Seems you are really bad at building a cup winning roster

19 hours ago, Neech said:

I'd much rather have Lekky at 4.8M longterm than KK, even factoring in their age. Good thing KK is Carolina's sunk cost now.

8 years at 4.82 … I suppose if he is their 2nd line C for years 2-8 of that contract, that it’s a good deal. 

I had thot they would have expected more from KK this year to warrant the contract, so either he is meeting their expectations or they are saving face

1 hour ago, revvvrob said:

8 years at 4.82 … I suppose if he is their 2nd line C for years 2-8 of that contract, that it’s a good deal. 

I had thot they would have expected more from KK this year to warrant the contract, so either he is meeting their expectations or they are saving face

You don’t offer an 8 year contract to save face. They obviously have faith in him and think he’ll be worth the contract long term. I still think he will be a better player than Dvorak. I’d be leery in handing him an 8 y sr deal though. I think part of his issue is he’s been handed things since we played him too early as an 18 year old - if I recall correctly he was the youngest player in the league at the time.

1 hour ago, DON said:

3 way tie for 32nd place...gonna be a battle till the end.

Who will be victorious...kinda.

Seattle. Hopefully we win the lottery though. Francis has done a such a Fxcked up job given the opportunity he had, he doesn’t deserve to win the lottery. Ditto with Phoenix - who shouldn’t even even be in the NHL.

25 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Francis has done a such a Fxcked up job given the opportunity he had, he doesn’t deserve to win the lottery. 

Really, why do you say that?

Isnt he smartly taking his time to build, as he should?

image.png

No Francis ####ed up the expansion draft.  He didn't make a single trade to add more picks/prospects. 

He didn't get close to enough for Mark Giordano. When Ben Chiarot goes for more than a recent Norris winner rental, the GM ####ed up. 

He could have a lot more picks and assets than he does. 

His goaltending, the area he spent big on, has been a disaster. 

43 minutes ago, Commandant said:

No Francis ####ed up the expansion draft.  He didn't make a single trade to add more picks/prospects. 

He didn't get close to enough for Mark Giordano. When Ben Chiarot goes for more than a recent Norris winner rental, the GM ####ed up. 

I didn’t follow it super closely, but I was puzzled that he did not seem to apply the lessons from Vegas’s ridiculously successful manipulation of the expansion draft rules. It’s as though he said, “aaaagh, I don’t need any of that newfangled thinking. We’re an expansion team and we’re gonna suck, dammit!”

20 minutes ago, huzer said:

Ugh, two of Bettman's prized expansion possessions or the Habs? I don't like the Habs chances of a lottery "win".

There is zero  proof that the NHL lottery is fixed. 

In fact the lottery is overseen by Ernst & Young.  Ernst & Young is a company that did $40 billion in revenues in 2021.  Their business is based on their reputation for being above board.  If they had a bribery scandal, they would lose so much respect in the financial industry and this would cripple them.  The NHL literally doesn't have enough money to be able to bribe E&Y to fix the lottery. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, DON said:

Really, why do you say that?

Isnt he smartly taking his time to build, as he should?

image.png

He screwed the pooch on. A lot of his picks - could have picked better players that could have been flipped later (he wasted picks - just look at his puck from the habs).  He is WAY to cautious and operating like he is a GM of an expansion team operating under the rules in place when the Sens and bolts came into the league.

58 minutes ago, Commandant said:

100% agree. Probably could have used cap space to trade for guy like Tarasenko and than flied them now.  

There is no way even a 39 year old Giordano should return more than Chiarot.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I didn’t follow it super closely, but I was puzzled that he did not seem to apply the lessons from Vegas’s ridiculously successful manipulation of the expansion draft rules. It’s as though he said, “aaaagh, I don’t need any of that newfangled thinking. We’re an expansion team and we’re gonna suck, dammit!”

I do think teams were better prepared, and not as stupid, but he was way to cautious, didn’t use his cap room at the draft, during the season, or at the deadline.  

• dlbalr unpinned this topic