2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There is zero  proof that the NHL lottery is fixed. 

In fact the lottery is overseen by Ernst & Young.  Ernst & Young is a company that did $40 billion in revenues in 2021.  Their business is based on their reputation for being above board.  If they had a bribery scandal, they would lose so much respect in the financial industry and this would cripple them.  The NHL literally doesn't have enough money to be able to bribe E&Y to fix the lottery. 

At least not after what happened to Arther Anderson.

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There is zero  proof that the NHL lottery is fixed. 

In fact the lottery is overseen by Ernst & Young.  Ernst & Young is a company that did $40 billion in revenues in 2021.  Their business is based on their reputation for being above board.  If they had a bribery scandal, they would lose so much respect in the financial industry and this would cripple them.  The NHL literally doesn't have enough money to be able to bribe E&Y to fix the lottery. 

Oh, I kid. Fan bases would equally be shouting FIXED if the Habs won the lottery with the draft being in Montreal.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I do think teams were better prepared, and not as stupid, but he was way to cautious, didn’t use his cap room at the draft, during the season, or at the deadline.  

Agree ... don't know how many teams exposed anyone that they would have given up draft picks to retain ... now WHO was selected by Francis is certainly fair game.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Agree ... don't know how many teams exposed anyone that they would have given up draft picks to retain ... now WHO was selected by Francis is certainly fair game.

We literally watched the Kraken take Vanecek from Washington, and then trade him back to Washington for a second round pick. 

Meanwhile Brendan Dillon (who was unprotected) was traded by Washington to Winnipeg for two second rounders just days after the expansion draft. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

We literally watched the Kraken take Vanecek from Washington, and then trade him back to Washington for a second round pick. 

Meanwhile Brendan Dillon (who was unprotected) was traded by Washington to Winnipeg for two second rounders just days after the expansion draft. 

Vegas had teams pay them to take A or B or C but not X or Y ... Vegas got picks  and the drafted ;layer who could then be used or traded ... that was my point ... Vegas would have received the 2nd rounder and Dillion, who they could have traded to Winnipeg for two 2nd rounders

1 hour ago, DON said:

Likely most seen this or already posted on some thread here. But, Q&A with the boys.

Thanks ... I had not seen it ... their transparency was impressive ... nothing startling, but more open than the last few Habs GMs had been ... I am certain it was a learning experience for Chantal ... I expect the next time they do this she will have pre-edited/translated and organized the questions rather than doing it on the fly.

What is the realistic outcome of the Dadonov situation?  Reports are Dadonov submitted his list to the Senators in time prior to his trade to Vegas.  Vegas and the NHL are claiming they don’t have that list.

Does this just void the trade unless Dadonov agrees to the move?  Which sounds like he’s not going to do.

4 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

What is the realistic outcome of the Dadonov situation?  Reports are Dadonov submitted his list to the Senators in time prior to his trade to Vegas.  Vegas and the NHL are claiming they don’t have that list.

Does this just void the trade unless Dadonov agrees to the move?  Which sounds like he’s not going to do.

The NHL has voided the trade.  Vegas will now try to trade Dadonov with an incentive to pick up an LTIR contract.  There's a certain Montreal-based team that has one of those although they'd undoubtedly want a deal that has less than four years left on it before anyone gets any ideas.

32 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The NHL has voided the trade.  Vegas will now try to trade Dadonov with an incentive to pick up an LTIR contract.  There's a certain Montreal-based team that has one of those although they'd undoubtedly want a deal that has less than four years left on it before anyone gets any ideas.

Yeah I figured 4 years was too much.  What teams have LTIR contracts, are willing to take Dadonov and aren't on his no trade list?  

3 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

Yeah I figured 4 years was too much.  What teams have LTIR contracts, are willing to take Dadonov and aren't on his no trade list?  

Without his no-trade list being public, it's hard to say.  Plus, it's a matter of finding an LTIR contract that's pricey enough to still work cap-wise for Vegas.  A $2M LTIR guy does nothing for them, I think they need something close to Kesler's $6.875M. 

42 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I would imagine Montreal is on his list as it appears the taxes in California were the reason Anaheim was on the list in the first place.  Weber's contract is no doubt attractive to Vegas as they are in a serious case of cap hell.

Also Dadonov only has 2 years left. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Without his no-trade list being public, it's hard to say.  Plus, it's a matter of finding an LTIR contract that's pricey enough to still work cap-wise for Vegas.  A $2M LTIR guy does nothing for them, I think they need something close to Kesler's $6.875M. 

Anaheim was on his NTC for tax reasons.

Montreal js probably on Dadonov's NTC too

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

I would imagine Montreal is on his list as it appears the taxes in California were the reason Anaheim was on the list in the first place.  Weber's contract is no doubt attractive to Vegas as they are in a serious case of cap hell.

Also Dadonov only has 2 years left. 

I know Dadonov has just one year left after this but Weber's contract is unappealing to a cap ceiling team because it would guarantee four years in LTIR which is undesirable for the same reasons that Montreal was pretty aggressively trying to move him.  LTIR = no cap space and no cap spending team wants that in normal circumstances.

Kesler worked since he had just one year left.  That would have allowed them to get both Martinez and Stone off LTIR and get out of the final year of Dadonov's contract.  After this season, they were basically free aside from Moore's smaller contract.  They wouldn't be with Weber, far from it.  (Not to mention Montreal almost certainly doesn't want Dadonov who they'd have to buy out or pay down to trade in the offseason.)

He signed the contract he's on with Ottawa (basically the same tax situation) so I wouldn't call it a flat guarantee that the Habs are on that NTC list.

This is a nice story.  Hard not to like Caulfield.  On another Habs board they were debating whether they would trade Caulfield for Lafreniere, one for one.  I wouldn't.  I think Cole will thrive under the spotlight in Montreal, has the personality for it, not sure about Lafreniere. 

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-hug-of-a-lifetime-for-young-fan-of-canadiens-cole-caufield

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Now just need them tp play 36 more games there...every year.:pray:

Good chance the Pierre Karl Péladeau will make a substantial offer ... along with Tilman Fertitta (Houston) and perhaps someone from Kansas City ... will anyone offer big bucks to stay in Ottawa?

26 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Good chance the Pierre Karl Péladeau will make a substantial offer ... along with Tilman Fertitta (Houston) and perhaps someone from Kansas City ... will anyone offer big bucks to stay in Ottawa?

Dont know those folks, but QC just brings back fun memories. Fine seeing it stay in Ottawa also though.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The price tag has gone up so much since expansion that I don't think a Peladeau-led bid would be the top bidder for a team granted permission to relocate.  

• dlbalr unpinned this topic