2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

4 hours ago, DON said:

Wideman is a healthy scratch tomorrow (got my wish) and Yaaaahh...Poehling is back!

Will Harris and Barron both be lineup?

Looks like it.  I imagine they'll have Harris in the 3D spot on the right in Wideman's place and that will be the only change on the back end.

Romanov 22

Harris 21

Barron 20, i like it,

what do they have to lose, goalies might see as bit more challenging, especially vs Tampa.

(maybe they will just give the starter a shot limit before switching)

17 hours ago, DON said:

Romanov 22

Harris 21

Barron 20, i like it,

what do they have to lose, goalies might see as bit more challenging, especially vs Tampa.

(maybe they will just give the starter a shot limit before switching)

I am happy for the kids and surprised Wideman is out, I would have dressed 7D instead.

what happened to “don’t rush the prospects” ?

33 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Yeah, not a good day for emojis today

Anyways, perfect opportunity to see what Barron/Harris/Pitlick/Schueneman/Ylonen/Poehling can do when given some nice icetime.

50 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am happy for the kids and surprised Wideman is out, I would have dressed 7D instead.

what happened to “don’t rush the prospects” ?

There’s a HUGE difference between throwing prospects into roles they are not ready for, and hope we make the playoffs, and playing prospects to evaluate them and give them a taste of the NHL, at the end of a year with zero expectations.

That doesn’t mean they need to pegged as starting in the NHL next year.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There’s a HUGE difference between throwing prospects into roles they are not ready for, and hope we make the playoffs, and playing prospects to evaluate them and give them a taste of the NHL, at the end of a year with zero expectations.

That is correct, might as well give them a taste in a no pressure situation. I am looking forward to seeing Harris tonight. 

12 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It has nothing to do with "making the playoff"

If you want to evaluate two green Ds, dress 7D and manage the minutes.

It is not like playing 11 forwards hasn't been done before by this coaching team. It will give them the chance to play Harris in situations they feel are good for him, and playing Wideman on the 4th line would not be the end of the world.

Anyways. Seems like I am the only one thinking this, sometimes I wonder why I bother posting

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It is not like playing 11 forwards hasn't been done before by this coaching team. It will give them the chance to play Harris in situations they feel are good for him, and playing Wideman on the 4th line would not be the end of the world.

Anyways. Seems like I am the only one thinking this, sometimes I wonder why I bother posting

Considering Montreal's fourth line hardly plays anyways, Wideman as a winger could have made some sense; it's not like Tyler Pitlick is a must-play player at this point.  Assuming he was open to it, that might have been a reasonable option.

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

We're not always all going to agree on everything. And if we did, this would be a far less interesting please.

So, please don't take it personally.

42 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I doubt if Wideman is an improvement, or even a crutch for two green D’s. He’s at best best a 7th D anyways.

If you are playing guys to evaluate them, not sure why you’d even want them o have the crutch of a guy like Wideman anyways. 

44 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

We're not always all going to agree on everything. And if we did, this would be a far less interesting please.

So, please don't take it personally.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... If you want to evaluate two green Ds, dress 7D and manage the minutes ... Anyways. Seems like I am the only one thinking this, sometimes I wonder why I bother posting

You post because you are a fan, with ideas and the courage to speak them ... we sometimes/often disagree but I appreciate the posts.

I was curious how Barron has been used ... his three games have been 17:55 (more than Schueneman) then 20:43 (more than CS and Wideman) and finally 18:40 (more than CS, CW and Edmundson) ... MSL clearly doesn't believe in "managing minutes" for young defencemen ... of course, Barron had a couple of NHL games and 50 AHL games under his belt ... I expect Harris will get at least 15 minutes unless he is getting absolutely torched ... which might have been the reason to dress a 7th defenceman, who gets minimal icetime unless the kid totally face plants and needs to sit for his own good.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

People disagreed  with Edison when he was trying to develop the light bulb, thought it was a stupid idea, but he didn't quit?  Just because disagree with you doesn't mean you are wrong. 

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

.. I expect Harris will get at least 15 minutes unless he is getting absolutely torched ... 

I could see anywhere from 6 to 16 minutes. Will St Louis give him some PP time?

Barron stepped in from playing in the AHL not NCAA & 2 NHL gms under belt.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

People disagreed  with Edison when he was trying to develop the light bulb, thought it was a stupid idea, but he didn't quit?  Just because disagree with you doesn't mean you are wrong. 

I am having a rough time  this week, HFiE, my dad is in his last days. I am in a pissy mood and come to the forum to take my mind off real life...

Let's move on

Go Habs Go!!!

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am having a rough time  this week, HFiE, my dad is in his last days. I am in a pissy mood and come to the forum to take my mind off real life...

Let's move on

Go Habs Go!!!

Sorry to hear about your dad, hang in there!!  We are all Habs fans here!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sorry to hear about your dad, hang in there!!  We are all Habs fans here!

Me as well ... and I am certain everyone on here ... it has been 20 years since past for me but I still recall the impact those times had on me.

6 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Getzlaf was an absolute beast in his prime,  a terrific #1 centre who could do it all. 

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Leafs blow 5 to 1 lead and lose in OT to Florida. 

That should put a damper on all the triumphalism after they beat Tampa.

(That said, I’m worried about the Leafs this year. I mean, I worry about them every year because I loathe them so much, but their stars do seem to be committed to “doing the little things” that characterize the elite players on winning teams. Hope I’m wrong).

• dlbalr unpinned this topic