2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

36 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That should put a damper on all the triumphalism after they beat Tampa.

(That said, I’m worried about the Leafs this year. I mean, I worry about them every year because I loathe them so much, but their stars do seem to be committed to “doing the little things” that characterize the elite players on winning teams. Hope I’m wrong).

Luckily, despite the attention to the little things by the "big guns" the Leafs are in the bottom half of the league in goals against (18th) ... last season they were 7th, when their best goalie by Sv% was Campbell (.921) ... this season he is still best, but at .913 (Woll - 4 -games - .911 ... Lallgren - 8 gms - .902 ... Mrazek - 20 gms - .888) ... don't think they have the defensive game overall for the playoffs.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Luckily, despite the attention to the little things by the "big guns" the Leafs are in the bottom half of the league in goals against (18th) ... last season they were 7th, when their best goalie by Sv% was Campbell (.921) ... this season he is still best, but at .913 (Woll - 4 -games - .911 ... Lallgren - 8 gms - .902 ... Mrazek - 20 gms - .888) ... don't think they have the defensive game overall for the playoffs.

It doesn’t help that they are paying around $40m to four forwards and than made the bonehead move of signing Mrazek. I think they needed to move on from Anderson (who has been excellent, albeit sheltered by a solid d core). Toronto is a perfect example of how you need to manage the cap. They chased a big UFA I. Tavares, and than didn’t even resign their top three forwards to max term contacts, while still giving top dollar to all three on their second contracts.

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Their goalies are below 900 since december 1st.

Campbell had an outstanding October and November... and that .913 is inflated by that, but he (and the rest of rhe leafs goalies) have been poor for months now.

I dont think they have the goaltending to go far, especially if they face one of the florida teams in the first round.

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Their goalies are below 900 since december 1st.

Campbell had an outstanding October and November... and that .913 is inflated by that, but he (and the rest of rhe leafs goalies) have been poor for months now.

I dont think they have the goaltending to go far, especially if they face one of the florida teams in the first round.

I hope so - even though it would mean that from the end of the first round to the start of next year, we’d be subjected to daily discussions in TSN/Sportsnet on what went wrong for the leafs!

As bad as we are ourselves, I love seeing the mix of angst and stupid optimism of Leafs fans in wanting to start planning the Stanley Cup parade route for the next year.

the leafs/oilers/Sabres/coyotes are perfect case studies of what to avoid in a rebuild - albeit for different reasons. Thats why I want to avoid shortcuts to a proper rebuild!

• Like 1

Basu, the athletic:

"After watching Dvorak for five games, St. Louis said he felt Dvorak had gotten better in every game. Five games later, that still appears to be a fair assessment.

Dvorak might never be what the Canadiens expected when Bergevin traded first- and second-round picks for him. He won’t be Danault, but he can still be valuable as a shutdown presence who can win important faceoffs, play on both special teams and produce some secondary offence."

Canadiens leaders since March 17
PLAYER GP G A PTS 5-ON-5 PTS

40 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Are the Habs expected to be bidding for any of the NCAA free agents, such as Dryden (!) McKay or Ben Meyers? 

We could use another Dryden.

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think he has something like 34 shutouts in three years of NCAA hockey. Hobey Baker winner.

Yeah, I read that yesterday. We didn’t too do badly with another successful college standout goalie named Dryden that we stole from the Bruins.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Are the Habs expected to be bidding for any of the NCAA free agents, such as Dryden (!) McKay or Ben Meyers? 

Everyone's in on Meyers.  I got a note from someone today in response to my writeup on McKay's Hobey Baker win on PHR (where I suggested that several NHL teams would be in on him) that his market is quite cold since he's an undersized goalie.  The person suggested it's not a guarantee he gets an NHL contract and that quite a few teams are only intending to offer an AHL deal.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

32 NHL teams will bid on Ben Meyers.

Im not sure we will be in on McKay given we have a bunch of goalie prospects and as good as he is.  He may have won the hobey but I dont see him as blue chip.

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

32 NHL teams will bid on Ben Meyers.

Im not sure we will be in on McKay given we have a bunch of goalie prospects and as good as he is.  He may have won the hobey but I dont see him as blue chip.

You never know about goalies, whether it’s a memorial cup winner, WJH champion, or college goalie. You can never have bough prospects, and I’d much rather take flyers on mid round draft picks or college UFA late bloomers than use a high draft choice on goalie prospects when the are 18.  Besides my favourite player as a kid was Dryden😁

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You never know about goalies, whether it’s a memorial cup winner, WJH champion, or college goalie. You can never have bough prospects, and I’d much rather take flyers on mid round draft picks or college UFA late bloomers than use a high draft choice on goalie prospects when the are 18.  Besides my favourite player as a kid was Dryden😁

The one position you can have too many prospects is in goal.  You need a place for them to play.

Just now, Commandant said:

The one position you can have too many prospects is in goal.  You need a place for them to play.

Keep Premieau in the AHL with a mentor (didn’t he still have a year or two of college eligibility left when we  bright hin up). I think with goalies, let them stay on college or junior as long as you can. Keep your next best in the ECHL.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Keep Premieau in the AHL with a mentor (didn’t he still have a year or two of college eligibility left when we  bright hin up). I think with goalies, let them stay on college or junior as long as you can. Keep your next best in the ECHL.

Dobes and Vrbetic are going to need spots to play in 2023. And then you have dichow too.

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Dobes and Vrbetic are going to need spots to play in 2023. And then you have dichow too.

Yes ... if they are still doing well. But if we somehow have three strong goalie prospects (plus Primeau!) I don't expect it will be too difficult to find a taker for one of those.

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Yes ... if they are still doing well. But if we somehow have three strong goalie prospects (plus Primeau!) I don't expect it will be too difficult to find a taker for one of those.

True ... but with minimal return ... and is any FA unproven prospect better than our existing unproven prospects?

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

True ... but with minimal return ... and is any FA unproven prospect better than our existing unproven prospects?

It's just more lottery tickets -- can't really tell the probabilities on any of them yet.

Is Edmundson captain material, or be around long enough to be nominated/anointed/selected/voted in the fall?

Or is Suzuki more likely to get the 'C'?

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

At this point in time, I would give it to Edmundson. Assuming that Hugo plans to keep him around.

:ph34r: We will have more details this summer... :ph34r:

Canadiens' Petry energized by reunion with family in Columbus

Well, isnt this just great news.

I will be very energized when he is dealt to another team in 2 or 3 months (i pray) for younger and more focused individual or two.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DON said:

Canadiens' Petry energized by reunion with family in Columbus

Well, isnt this just great news.

I will be very energized when he is dealt to another team in 2 or 3 months (i pray) for younger and more focused individual or two.

Ya. Its time for him to go I think. One or both of Petry Gallagher need to go Hopefully.

• Upvote 1

• dlbalr unpinned this topic