2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

56 minutes ago, DON said:

Is Houston gonna get a team next?

Unless Paul Allen reverses decades of disinterest and decides he wants an NHL team, I expect it is the best option.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree that they are an embarrassment. Part of me respects Bettman’s sheer pig-headed determination to make Arizona work, but they should have thrown in the towel years ago.

Don’t agree that they belong in Quebec. I want the Nordiques to stay good and dead for all eternity, as befits those scumbags. Move the ‘Yotes to Kansas City or somewhere like that. 

I think that hatred that you have for the Nordiques and Sens is good as a sports fan and makes cheering for the Habs more fun. 

I'd rather have teams with passionate fanbases than another American market where hockey will never be higher than 4th or 5th on the totem pole. 

50 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Unless Paul Allen reverses decades of disinterest and decides he wants an NHL team, I expect it is the best option.

The owner of the Rockets (Tilman Fertitta) has made it clear he wants an NHL team in Houston.

(Paul Allen, who died in 2018, was Portland's owner.)

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The owner of the Rockets (Tilman Fertitta) has made it clear he wants an NHL team in Houston.

(Paul Allen, who died in 2018, was Portland's owner.)

I know very well that Fertitta/Houston have serious interest ... and apologies to the Allen family, I forgot he passed away ... the reference was to the fact that despite his express lack of interest Portland/Allen was thrown out as an expansion/transfer site almost every time the subject came up for many, many years.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I've been impressed with his poise on the puck. 

He needs a little work without the puck, but of course he's a rookie and that can come.  

The opening signs with him are strong. 

No doubt, there is no questioning his mobility or his hockey smarts. 

Hoping Guhle is as smart with puck, defending well seems a given, i just dont know what his puck skills at NHL speed will be like.

Hope he has long run to memorial cup win, is a standout and we get to see him play a few games.

Do the author and operator get fired ... or bonuses?

nhl.com

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/pregame-panthers-canadiens-updates-from-morning-skate-april-29/c-333510652?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=CHCcontent&utm_content=EN-0429-MorningSkate

Harris: Growing on the job

Making the jump from the NCAA to the NHL isn't easy, but Jordan Harris has handled the transition rather well.

The 21-year-old rearguard will play his 10th game of the season tonight.

He credits St-Louis for easing the move along and helping to steadily build his confidence.

"When I first joined the team, he was like, 'Hey, you're going to make mistakes and you're going to want three or four plays back at the end of the game.' That really meant a lot to me because it kind of lifts a little weight off your shoulders and you can just go out there and try and play your game," explained Harris. "I'm fortunate to have a coach like Marty who allows players to make mistakes and be put back on the ice. I'm definitely grateful for that."

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Ottawa announced today they won't tender Victor Mete a qualifying offer.  His stock has certainly fallen the last couple of years.

Would he still be a viable player for the Rocket for next year, on an AHL-only contract?

21 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Would he still be a viable player for the Rocket for next year, on an AHL-only contract?

My general take on minor league deals is that there's no such thing as a bad one.  But I'm not sure there's a great fit for him on the left side which will already feature Norlinder, Xhekaj, and Fairbrother and could also feature any of Harris, Guhle, and Schueneman.  If he was open to playing on the right and willing to return to the organization that waived him (even with a new management team, that might sting), then sure, why not?  But I wouldn't count on that happening.

Quelle surprise. 

46 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... What is not surprising is that McGuire got fired after one year with the Sens. Most are not surprised that it turns out McGuire is a dumbass. 

I always suspected that McGuire was a Melnyk hire ... GM in waiting, or at least a threat hanging over Dorion's head entering contract negotiations ... two months later Dorion got his extension ... with Melnyk now gone I now suspect that Dorion eliminated the perceived competition, and/or got rid of someone who worked behind the scenes to undermine Dorion ... ALL MY SUSPICIONS. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic