2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

As with most everything ...differing perceptions have roots ... in this case it may often have much to do with where each person falls on the "fan of Pierre McGuire" scale ... the closer one is to zero the more likely a negative interpretation is applied, the closer to 10 the more likely that there is no issue ... the mid-range tend to the inadvertent poor choice of words.

I'm no fan of Maguire and I think its hilarious that he was fired by the Sens after only 10 months. 

I just dont think he's a racist. 

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I've heard that expression used within that context plenty of times before.

me too, but it doesn't make it right.

Same as using master/slave for communication protocols (now is frowned upon)

Same as referring to some people as f@g (that can be terms for termination from employment)

Same as calling a team the "Red Skins"...

When PM made that comment, it showed what for him was a "normal" adjective to refer to refer to anyone (Habs) who go out of known/ grounds and adventure to unknown territory.

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

me too, but it doesn't make it right.

Same as using master/slave for communication protocols (now is frowned upon)

Same as referring to some people as f@g (that can be terms for termination from employment)

Same as calling a team the "Red Skins"...

When PM made that comment, it showed what for him was a "normal" adjective to refer to refer to anyone (Habs) who go out of known/ grounds and adventure to unknown territory.

I agree with this.  It's a poor choice of words to use for anyone and a phrase that should go away.

I don't think he intentionally used it because it was Carey Price though. 

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

... I don't think he intentionally used it because it was Carey Price though. 

27 minutes ago, DON said:

And i do.

And either one of you could be correct ... only McGuire knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Giordano re-signs with the Leafs for peanuts. They've had a few guys sign for less than they could have got elsewhere, as well as being picked a few times by the top European/NCAA free agents. We need to become this sort of destination for players.

6 hours ago, Neech said:

Giordano re-signs with the Leafs for peanuts. They've had a few guys sign for less than they could have got elsewhere, as well as being picked a few times by the top European/NCAA free agents. We need to become this sort of destination for players.

One of the groups. We had was a lot of guys going home to win when older (Spezza, Thornton, Giordano), not many there’s arent a lot of good French players to begin with, and not many have wanted to sign with Montreal other than Briere), and that wasn’t really for much of a discount.

Letang would be a local option coming back, but I can’t a him coming here for a discount. If he was to give a t am a discount, it would probably be to stay in Pittsburg.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

One of the groups. We had was a lot of guys going home to win when older (Spezza, Thornton, Giordano), not many there’s arent a lot of good French players to begin with, and not many have wanted to sign with Montreal other than Briere), and that wasn’t really for much of a discount.

Letang would be a local option coming back, but I can’t a him coming here for a discount. If he was to give a t am a discount, it would probably be to stay in Pittsburg.

Agreed, Letang is 35 so he has time for 1 more big payday.  Giordano is going to be 39 when the season starts so money is less of a priority for him. 

23 hours ago, Commandant said:

Yes, he's so cheap that they will make him a QO. 

That said, he's still not part of the long term future, but next year isn't about long term future. 

No, we all know he isnt a 'core' player, but he has gotten alot more NHL play than i ever expected. On a contender he would be simply taking up valuable roster spot, but is a fan favourite, as most hard working blue-collar players tend to be.

I would have sent him down to Laval for the Calder cup run, instead of signing Condota who doesn't seem to be playing much

image.png

Pezzetta has surprisingly "good hands" around the net and is a fast skater. I would have loved to see him in Laval.

I hope he is re-signed. Habs do not have another 4th liner like him

29 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Pezzetta would have needed to clear waivers before the trade deadline and be papered down in order to be eligible to play in the AHL playoffs.

I know, and I wish Hug-Gort would have done that. Pezzetta may not be a core player but I can see him playing the same role Andrew Shaw played. He seems to have some of the traits

17 hours ago, DON said:

No, we all know he isnt a 'core' player, but he has gotten alot more NHL play than i ever expected. On a contender he would be simply taking up valuable roster spot, but is a fan favourite, as most hard working blue-collar players tend to be.

Exactly. One sign of the Habs becoming a good team will be that a guy like him will be out of the picture. Until then, sure, let him bang away out there taking stupid penalties and being beloved. 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I know, and I wish Hug-Gort would have done that. Pezzetta may not be a core player but I can see him playing the same role Andrew Shaw played. He seems to have some of the traits

Would he have made it through waivers though?  I'm not a big Pezzetta fan as you know but I think there would have been a good chance he was claimed since he's cheap forward depth.  Knowing they didn't want to take anyone else from Laval for the stretch run (one of their stated goals for the deadline was to add to Laval's roster), there's a decent chance that waiving Pezzetta would have seen him claimed and another Rocket player leaving Laval to take his place.  I can see why they didn't try waiving him as a result.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Would he have made it through waivers though?  I'm not a big Pezzetta fan as you know but I think there would have been a good chance he was claimed since he's cheap forward depth.  Knowing they didn't want to take anyone else from Laval for the stretch run (one of their stated goals for the deadline was to add to Laval's roster), there's a decent chance that waiving Pezzetta would have seen him claimed and another Rocket player leaving Laval to take his place.  I can see why they didn't try waiving him as a result.

but if they are not planning on re-signing him, why prevent him from finding work somewhere else? and if he went through waivers, it would have helped Laval, prospect development (by insulating prospects) and the Habs is enabling Pezzetta to get better

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

but if they are not planning on re-signing him, why prevent him from finding work somewhere else? and if he went through waivers, it would have helped Laval, prospect development (by insulating prospects) and the Habs is enabling Pezzetta to get better

I think (almost?) everyone here is expecting the Habs to make him a qualifying offer.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

I think (almost?) everyone here is expecting the Habs to make him a qualifying offer.

I am hoping for that, but I am confused for how he is being managed as an asset. I do not understand the new modus operandi

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am hoping for that, but I am confused for how he is being managed as an asset. I do not understand the new modus operandi

What Brian explained is that sending him to Laval would have required waivers and would have risked losing him altogether (and still required Laval to send another forward back up). So, not sending him to the Rocket is actually protecting him as an asset.

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He's young and cheap and still will be when he signs for something that winds up being very close to his qualifying offer.  That's the relevance from an asset perspective. 

Because he's young and cheap, they're likely thinking that he might be worth keeping around as a 12th/13th forward for another year.  If things don't go well in camp, then he's waived and worst case scenario, they lose him for free if someone else wants to add some grit before the season (fewer teams seek that at the start of the year compared to the trade deadline).  

Many GMs subscribe to Lou Lamoriello's adage that if you have the time, use it.  They still have time to evaluate Pezzetta's fit in this organization and that evaluation period will continue into training camp.  From an asset management perspective, that extra time is more valuable than running the risk of losing him for free midseason in an effort to have him play eight minutes a game in Laval in the playoffs (I don't think he'd be any higher than that on their depth chart).

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I think most of us think he will be given a qualifying off and re-signed. 

I didnt have a clue if he was being kept or cut loose (or if would make it through waivers or not?), why i asked a few days ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • dlbalr unpinned this topic