2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Paul Maurice has always been one of my favourite coaches. 

You have favourite coaches? 

Not sure I even thought about them like that and i am positive i cant name 5 current ones off top of head. There is some unproven guy with Aves and not sure who Tampa one is?

Leafs?

Jets?

Ottawa?

Ducks?

etc

Not a clue and simply dont care enough i guess.:spamafote:

8 minutes ago, DON said:

You have favourite coaches? 

I do. And I have a feeling that Martin St. Louis might turn into one of them.  I have always enjoyed interviews with Paul Maurice as he is smart, articulate, honest, funny.  I also think Jon Cooper is an outstanding coach (stating the obvious). 

15 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I do. And I have a feeling that Martin St. Louis might turn into one of them.  I have always enjoyed interviews with Paul Maurice as he is smart, articulate, honest, funny.  I also think Jon Cooper is an outstanding coach (stating the obvious). 

But, as Bowman said, you need a good roster to win, so Yzerman made his job, just a bit easier. And what coach would not do well with that roster?

And i imagine this coach will be hired/fired several more times over next decade or two.

Seems it’s confirmed:

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Seems it’s confirmed:

Renderings always look good ... just keep my Municipal, Provincial and Federal tax dollars out of it ... although I expect they will get a sweet deal from the NCC on the land on which the arena will be built.

I think the CI package gets you non-national games and then anything on Sportsnet would require the TV or SN Now subscription.  Sportsnet, for now at least, doesn't have Montreal's regional rights (they're up this summer) so they generally only show 25-30 games national.  If they get regional rights, they can flip several games up to national status (I think 40 is the max).

It looks like NHL Live/Centre Ice (depending on how you want to buy it, it looks to be essentially the same product) covers 81 of the 82 Habs games. Much better than before.

$200/season -- or $60/season if you don't mind watching the French games. :)

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It looks like NHL Live/Centre Ice (depending on how you want to buy it, it looks to be essentially the same product) covers 81 of the 82 Habs games. Much better than before.

$200/season -- or $60/season if you don't mind watching the French games. :)

Holy hell I forgot about the $60 rds feed. I will do that next season 

Thanks for the responses folks 👍

42 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Holy hell I forgot about the $60 rds feed. I will do that next season 

Thanks for the responses folks 👍

I'm thinking it'll improve my French skills a bit, too! 😂

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Does anyone know if a Canadian can purchase the American “centre ice” package? Preferably streaming?

The constant gambling ads and Ron Maclean drove me nuts so I’ve been watching the ESPN feed on ABC and I’m hoping to avoid Sportsnet altogether next year. 

You should get NHL live instead.  You can pick the feed you want to watch.  Usually has the Canadian network and American network as choices.  The only disadvantage is you would need something to watch it on your TV.  For this if you have a PlayStation 4/5 or Xbox (I’m not sure which ones you need for that), you can stream it to your main TV.  If you have an android box or Kodi box, there’s an addon for NHL TV that you out in your credentials that you can use, but the interface isn’t pretty. Also if you have to contend with blackouts the NHL live can be used with a VPN to get around blackouts.

TLDR; NHL Live is better than Center Ice if you don’t like the Canadian channels.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

NHL Live is no longer available in Canada as of the end of this season.  Sportsnet is rolling that into their own streaming feed which makes it harder to avoid their coverage.

Isn't the CRTC supposed to protect us from this kind of stuff?

I used to get the RDS channel added for the season for $5 a month then it was $8 a month then It was taken away and replaced with an expensive Centre Ice package 💩

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

NHL Live is no longer available in Canada as of the end of this season.  Sportsnet is rolling that into their own streaming feed which makes it harder to avoid their coverage.

So, the $60 French-only option disappears, too ...

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Probably for streaming but it might still be around on a TV provider.

Me, I have no TV provider. And I don't think I'm a unique case.

I can't complain about this unless they change Sportsnet Now.  I get it with my TV subscription, so it'll save me $200 for the NHL Live subscription.

EDIT: Nope, read the post, still gotta pay extra for it.

On 6/25/2022 at 8:01 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Isn't the CRTC supposed to protect us from this kind of stuff?

I used to get the RDS channel added for the season for $5 a month then it was $8 a month then It was taken away and replaced with an expensive Centre Ice package 💩

I'm not sure if the CRTC protects from that, but I am pretty sure there must be something that does.

I wonder if somebody that was born in Quebec but now lives in another Province might have a valid argument for a HR complaint against the NHL. ex:  blacking out Habs games discriminates against their French heritage - or something like that.    Also, there might be a valid argument under Competition Law too.

Back when I had Bell Satellite I was paying $5/mth for RDS, and when that changed it royally messed up my ability to watch games for numerous seasons.    

A interesting thing about this year is that the NHL set a record for profits.  That doesn't affect the Cap next season, but the year after the Cap will go up $5 mil.  They haven't said what it goes up the year after that but it could go up $10+ million the following year.  One analyst mentioned that the Cap could go up $20 mil by 2025.  

I'm wondering what impact ending Centre Ice in Canada will have on NHL profits?  i.e. a lot of the record profits could be from Canadians being forced to buy Centre Ice, and next year those profits will be Sportsnets.  

6 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I wonder if somebody that was born in Quebec but now lives in another Province might have a valid argument for a HR complaint against the NHL. ex:  blacking out Habs games discriminates against their French heritage - or something like that.    Also, there might be a valid argument under Competition Law too.

When RDS was the only national French station, they could get away with making all of the games national.  As soon as TVA Sports came in, that had to change on the next TV contract.  We had it nice compared to the blackout rules for all of the other teams in the league as every market has out-of-market blackout rules in both Canada and the US.

I don’t mind paying for centre ice. 

My problem is that Sportsnet feed is so full of constant gambling ads that it’s ridiculous. Add in the fact that MacLean has turned into a bizarre captain of political correctness that is way over the top.

I don’t want to watch Sportsnet anymore.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t mind paying for centre ice. 

My problem is that Sportsnet feed is so full of constant gambling ads that it’s ridiculous. Add in the fact that MacLean has turned into a bizarre captain of political correctness that is way over the top.

I don’t want to watch Sportsnet anymore.  

Even with paying for Centre Ice, you're still stuck with Sportsnet as national games aren't included in the CI package.  There has been some speculation that MacLean will be out as HNIC host but the gambling ads aren't going anywhere for a couple of years until that market starts to saturate.  Right now, everyone wants to advertise to try to strike big in that market early.  And if you think those ads are annoying as someone who's in Ontario, consider that in every other province, it's still illegal.  Those ads/in-show segments are literally only for one province, the rest have to just sit through them even though they couldn't go to those sites/apps if they even wanted to.

55 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Even with paying for Centre Ice, you're still stuck with Sportsnet as national games aren't included in the CI package.  There has been some speculation that MacLean will be out as HNIC host but the gambling ads aren't going anywhere for a couple of years until that market starts to saturate.  Right now, everyone wants to advertise to try to strike big in that market early.  And if you think those ads are annoying as someone who's in Ontario, consider that in every other province, it's still illegal.  Those ads/in-show segments are literally only for one province, the rest have to just sit through them even though they couldn't go to those sites/apps if they even wanted to.

The ad situation sounds like HNIC pre-Rogers deal with the Leafs.  It was for one province and we all had to sit through it.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic