2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

On 6/27/2022 at 12:52 PM, dlbalr said:

There has been some speculation that MacLean will be out as HNIC host but the gambling ads aren't going anywhere for a couple of years until that market starts to saturate. 

We weren't so lucky.  He stays as HNIC host and Hometown Hockey has been cancelled.

Kings acquire Kevin Fiala.  The Kings were considered a possible landing spot for Gallagher but I think there is zero chance of that happening now. It was very doubtful before, only talked about I guess because of MB's relationship with him.  The Kings continue to get better. 

https://www.tsn.ca/los-angeles-kings-minnesota-wild-kevin-fiala-brock-faber-1.1819156

37 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Kings acquire Kevin Fiala.  The Kings were considered a possible landing spot for Gallagher but I think there is zero chance of that happening now. It was very doubtful before, only talked about I guess because of MB's relationship with him.  The Kings continue to get better. 

https://www.tsn.ca/los-angeles-kings-minnesota-wild-kevin-fiala-brock-faber-1.1819156

Honestly I think Edmonton or Toronto would be a good fit for Gallagher. They need a guy like him especially in the playoffs. He gets under a lot of players skin and Edmonton and Toronto are missing that in their line up. 

But with his cap hit it would have to be a 3 team trade where us and another team could eat up some of Gallagher contract.

I doubt Gallagher would accept a trade to the leafs, although I do not remember if he has a no trade

Edmonton is more likely 

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I doubt Gallagher would accept a trade to the leafs, although I do not remember if he has a no trade

Edmonton is more likely 

Would much prefer to see Hoffman/Armia/Petry/Price gone morso than Gallagher.

I dont think Gallagher is likely to be dealt, but who knows.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Honestly I think Edmonton or Toronto would be a good fit for Gallagher. They need a guy like him especially in the playoffs. He gets under a lot of players skin and Edmonton and Toronto are missing that in their line up. 

But with his cap hit it would have to be a 3 team trade where us and another team could eat up some of Gallagher contract.

You realize there has never been a trade done where there is double retention on a player for five years, right?  It's not realistic.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Would much prefer to see Hoffman/Armia/Petry/Price gone morso than Gallagher.

I dont think Gallagher is likely to be dealt, but who knows.

I would be glad to see all 5 gone … but doubt Price and Gallagher are going anywhere

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Edmonton is more likely 

Gallagher has a 6 team NTC … Toronto may seem like a logical inclusion (like Gorges not wanting to go) but like it or not they are a Cup contender quality roster … after a taste last season BG may now have different priorities … 

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

You realize there has never been a trade done where there is double retention on a player for five years, right?  It's not realistic.

So true … it would take a team that wants him at a reduced AAV … don’t see HuGo retaining a huge portion, but maybe $1.5-2 million … but don’t see even that happening unless BG has a a very good season next year

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

So true … it would take a team that wants him at a reduced AAV … don’t see HuGo retaining a huge portion, but maybe $1.5-2 million … but don’t see even that happening unless BG has a a very good season next year

That's $7.5M-$10M on Montreal's side.  How much do they have to get back to justify that?  (For that much money, I think they'd be asking for a 1st rounder.)  And then the facilitating team probably has to retain a similar-sized portion, meaning they'll need a similar acquisition value to do their part.  For whoever's acquiring Gallagher, compensating Montreal and the facilitator team at fair value to compensate for the cash spending/dead cap will cost a whole lot more than Gallagher is actually worth.  That's why these types of double-retention on long-term deals have never happened and won't anytime soon and certainly not with Gallagher.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's $7.5M-$10M on Montreal's side.  How much do they have to get back to justify that?  (For that much money, I think they'd be asking for a 1st rounder.)  And then the facilitating team probably has to retain a similar-sized portion, meaning they'll need a similar acquisition value to do their part.  For whoever's acquiring Gallagher, compensating Montreal and the facilitator team at fair value to compensate for the cash spending/dead cap will cost a whole lot more than Gallagher is actually worth.  That's why these types of double-retention on long-term deals have never happened and won't anytime soon and certainly not with Gallagher.

I was looking at a straight deal *** IF *** Gallagher can get his game together 

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I was looking at a straight deal *** IF *** Gallagher can get his game together 

Even at that.  If the Habs wanted a first-round pick for that much cumulative cash/cap retention - and they'd be justified in doing so - that's still more than Gallagher is worth.

Just now, dlbalr said:

Even at that.  If the Habs wanted a first-round pick for that much cumulative cash/cap retention - and they'd be justified in doing so - that's still more than Gallagher is worth.

At some point the cap space may be worth minimal return

• dlbalr unpinned this topic