Jump to content

2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread


tomh009
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DON said:

Agree Habs prospect pool likely average (just guess).

I have not a clue who would be most reliable prospect 'expert'; Pronman, Wheeler, Button, NHL.com guys, Commandant,...

Within Athletic, Wheeler does much more detailed prospect evaluation work than Pronman.

 

Last year he ranked the Habs in 6th, but Caufield will likely not be included this year since he's likely not going back to Laval for any length of time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wheeler wears his bias on his sleeve... not a huge fan. 

 

As for pronman's latest list, he seems to be overating the latest 30 game sample size. (not just caufield but league wide). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At least we know that Wheeler is not a closet Habs fan! :D I'm OK with his bias, we know what it is so can keep it in mind when reading his ratings.

 

Rating prospects based on last 30 games is crazy. Wheeler's studying them for years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

At least we know that Wheeler is not a closet Habs fan! :D I'm OK with his bias, we know what it is so can keep it in mind when reading his ratings.

 

Rating prospects based on last 30 games is crazy. Wheeler's studying them for years.

 

Pronman has been studying them for years too.  I'm just saying compare his list from before the season to now and you see how the huge jumps/falls seem to be based on the last 30 or so games

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Too much weight on too small a sample, I think. Maybe he thinks he needs to do that since last season was a loss for a lot of kids so he'd need to go back two years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dvorak on 32.8pt pace, career just 39pt/82gms, so i guess not crazy low, for him.

Thought he had more offense in him, is the tire-fire in both Arizona and Montreal partly to blame?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DON said:

Dvorak on 32.8pt pace, career just 39pt/82gms, so i guess not crazy low, for him.

Thought he had more offense in him, is the tire-fire in both Arizona and Montreal partly to blame?

 

I think he has another gear in him still.  This is not exactly an offensive-minded environment so I'd still like to see how he does in that situation.  That said, will Montreal be an offensive-minded environment over the next couple of seasons?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DON said:

Dvorak on 32.8pt pace, career just 39pt/82gms, so i guess not crazy low, for him.

Thought he had more offense in him, is the tire-fire in both Arizona and Montreal partly to blame?

I honestly don't think stats should be looked at for habs players this year. I mean have we gone 2 games with the same lines let alone line up? This year is a wash just bring on the lottery draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dlbalr said:

That said, will Montreal be an offensive-minded environment over the next couple of seasons?

I think much depends on what kind of D corps Gorton and Hughes decide to build. Will it be Clydesdales again (fewer goals scored for and against) or puck-movers (more goals scored for and against)?

 

An early indication might be which D-men get moved at the deadline, and definitely so in the summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Will it be Clydesdales again...or puck-movers...

Obviously need some of both.

Romanov-Edmundson-Savard-Petry likely will be Habs next year, so only question is, who will be the other 2? And key one is, add a top 4 offensive d-man who isnt a black hole in own end. 

Harris-Guhle, will both start in Laval? Will see how new mgmt handles prospects i suppose, more patience/slower to promote?

 

Will Gorton or Hughes make any big pronouncements today?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Clydesdales experiment was a complete aberration in today’s league. I mean - it worked, being the backbone (with Price) of a Cup Finalist. It also yielded diminishing returns as the playoffs ground on, and we gradually suffered more and more from the lack of an offensive push from the back end. It is also a model designed for the playoffs, but not necessarily a model that gets you into the playoffs during a regular 82-game season.

 

Pretty sure that Gorton will proceed like a normal modern GM and try to get a balance of puck-movers and stay-at-home guys on the back end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, DON said:

 

Harris-Guhle, will both start in Laval? Will see how new mgmt handles prospects i suppose, more patience/slower to promote?

 

 

I sure hope that we implement a competent developmental program. Under Bergevin it seems like we were clueless with young players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, DON said:

Obviously need some of both.

Romanov-Edmundson-Savard-Petry likely will be Habs next year, so only question is, who will be the other 2? And key one is, add a top 4 offensive d-man who isnt a black hole in own end. 

Harris-Guhle, will both start in Laval? Will see how new mgmt handles prospects i suppose, more patience/slower to promote?

 

Will Gorton or Hughes make any big pronouncements today?

I hope Petry gets traded to get a prospect or a late 1st round pick for him

 

If you look at the Ds this season, signed by the previous GM:

Puck moving D (although no one elite): Petry, Wideman, Kulak, Niku. I do not remember well but I think Clague was picked up by Gorton

 

Big-horse-type: Chiarot, Romanov(?), Edmundson, Savard

 

I think that the idea that the Habs do not have a balance on D was dispelled this season by MB. And the recipe brought the Habs to the finals when Weber worn himself out, gave it all he had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect Chiarot will be gone, so in the stay-at-home category we should at the minimum have Romanov and Edmundson, maybe also Savard.

 

Will Petry be here next year? If not, maybe Clague and/or Niku will stay for another year or two while Harris and Guhle mature in Laval. And I sure hope Gorton/Hughes will not rush them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope Petry gets traded to get a prospect or a late 1st round pick for him

 

If you look at the Ds this season, signed by the previous GM:

Puck moving D (although no one elite): Petry, Wideman, Kulak, Niku. I do not remember well but I think Clague was picked up by Gorton

 

Big-horse-type: Chiarot, Romanov(?), Edmundson, Savard

 

I think that the idea that the Habs do not have a balance on D was dispelled this season by MB. And the recipe brought the Habs to the finals when Weber worn himself out, gave it all he had.

The problem with this organization is what's its always been depth and hanging onto aging players way to long and ending up not replacing them when they leave or retire.  Their is a reason why we can't win games when we go through injuries to key players, because we just don't have the depth or talent in the farm system to over come the long term key injuries.

 

Instead of making trades to bring in someone to help until the player returns, we do nothing and hope our 3/4 line talent and not NHL ready players and fill the hole. But that never happens and we tail spin. 

 

The D guys you just listed on any other team are bottom pairing guys. But because of lack of depth and talent on Montreal these guys are playing top paring minutes. Our D needs to get blown up and rebuild.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope Petry gets traded to get a prospect or a late 1st round pick for him

He aint.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

The problem with this organization is what's its always been depth and hanging onto aging players way to long and ending up not replacing them when they leave or retire.  Their is a reason why we can't win games when we go through injuries to key players, because we just don't have the depth or talent in the farm system to over come the long term key injuries.

Are they any different than vast majority of teams?

 

 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Instead of making trades to bring in someone to help until the player returns, we do nothing and hope our 3/4 line talent. 

 

Bergevin likely made more trades than almost any GM during his time (and big ones), hasnt he?

 

But, no he hasnt dealt away many 1st round picks as stop gaps, which i am OK with, again we all saw Rangers/Sather deal away every 1st pick for 4 or 5 years in a row with a 1 finals appearance...Then Gorton had to blow it up and have fire sale.

 

SO, it aint quite as easy as you make it out to be, thats all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... I think that the idea that the Habs do not have a balance on D was dispelled this season by MB ...

True ... for the most part they have played poorly and been disappointing ... fairly balanced across the entire the D-corps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Helmethead said:

If I were a gm I’d be looking to buy Petry on the cheap. 
 

He hasn’t suddenly forgotten to play. 

Hopefully Hughes won't sell him on the cheap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He should

 

Should, got nothing to do with reality.

 

Alcohol is a poison to human body...no one 'SHOULD' drink it ever (has zero redeeming qualities)...BUT...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think much depends on what kind of D corps Gorton and Hughes decide to build. Will it be Clydesdales again (fewer goals scored for and against) or puck-movers (more goals scored for and against)?

 

An early indication might be which D-men get moved at the deadline, and definitely so in the summer.

It better be the puck moving option. If we are going to endure a painful rebuild, I want some hope of a fast exciting team comes out of the pain. You look a Tampa, dressed 4 dman, and on convincingly. That should be the model. Not Clydesdale and going only as far as your goalie can carry you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It better be the puck moving option. If we are going to endure a painful rebuild, I want some hope of a fast exciting team comes out of the pain. You look a Tampa, dressed 4 dman, and on convincingly. That should be the model. Not Clydesdale and going only as far as your goalie can carry you.

Well, they will already have Savard-Petry-Edmundson-Romanov and lots for a 3rd pairing to start with. So not sure a huge upgrade or change on the backend will be coming, at least next year.

Obviously, a top 4 puck mover is needed (RH preferable to push Petry down to 2nd pairing), just maybe not happening next year, if new guys looking more long term rebuild? 

Not sure understand Tampa model?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, they will already have Savard-Petry-Edmundson-Romanov and lots for a 3rd pairing to start with. So not sure a huge upgrade or change on the backend will be coming, at least next year.

Obviously, a top 4 puck mover is needed (RH preferable to push Petry down to 2nd pairing), just maybe not happening next year, if new guys looking more long term rebuild? 

Not sure understand Tampa model?

Well, Hughes did say yesterday that he wants a fast team with offensive capability, so that does imply a D corps capable of moving the puck.

 

Will all of Savard, Petry and Edmundson be here next year? I hope Edmundson stays, we'll see what they decide about the rest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • dlbalr unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...