Weber appreciation post

Habsfan89

With rumors of Weber having to retire do to his injury, I thought we need a Weber appreciation post. 

The last 2 years he has played with a high amount of pain and for that i give him all the respect in the world. It just  sucks that Bergevin wasted 3 good years of Weber playoff hockey  with a retool instead of trying to put a contender on the ice. He will be missed on the back end and you can noticed it already. Best of luck Weber and if he wants to get into coaching I hope the habs bring him back in a coaching roll. 

Well, I tend to think this is a bit premature by 1 season.  At the moment he's guaranteed to miss 1 season, and after this year it is possible that he might have to retire.  However, it is also possible that he could could come back. 

I'm more optimistic that he can return next season.  I'm hoping that they will look into natural cures and find something that is better than what his Dr's are doing.  ex:  even something as simple as drinking 1 cup of Bone Broth daily could be a huge help for his ankle and tendons.  He could also try drinking a type of detergent called 20 Mule Team, which contains a compound called Borax (i.e. Boron) that is essential for bones.  

Ironically, I wouldn't be surprised if either of those would help him more than what any of his Dr's are suggesting.  i.e. if he started using both of those his chance of returning would go up. 

22 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Well, I tend to think this is a bit premature by 1 season.  At the moment he's guaranteed to miss 1 season, and after this year it is possible that he might have to retire.  However, it is also possible that he could could come back. 

I'm more optimistic that he can return next season.  I'm hoping that they will look into natural cures and find something that is better than what his Dr's are doing.  ex:  even something as simple as drinking 1 cup of Bone Broth daily could be a huge help for his ankle and tendons.  He could also try drinking a type of detergent called 20 Mule Team, which contains a compound called Borax (i.e. Boron) that is essential for bones.  

Ironically, I wouldn't be surprised if either of those would help him more than what any of his Dr's are suggesting.  i.e. if he started using both of those his chance of returning would go up. 

There really isn’t a real cure for an aging body, that has taken more than normal wear and tear on joints and tendons.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There really isn’t a real cure for an aging body, that has taken more than normal wear and tear on joints and tendons.

Well, the bones spurs I **had**on my ankles disagree with you.  Notice that I used a past tense there?  Ironically, MD's have nothing for that, yet I was able to completely resolved that issue by spending $4 on a box of detergent.      

44 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Well, the bones spurs I **had**on my ankles disagree with you.  Notice that I used a past tense there?  Ironically, MD's have nothing for that, yet I was able to completely resolved that issue by spending $4 on a box of detergent.      

Glad it worked for you ... bone spurs can be life-changing in a negative way ... wonder if the Borax people have ever conducted proper scientific studies to demonstrate the effectiveness of their product ... it would GREATLY expand the medical use/acceptance of their product.

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Glad it worked for you ... bone spurs can be life-changing in a negative way ... wonder if the Borax people have ever conducted proper scientific studies to demonstrate the effectiveness of their product ... it would GREATLY expand the medical use/acceptance of their product.

Ultimately, you are absolutely right, but the reality is you're also very wrong.  i.e. the Dr that figured out that Borax can cure arthritis was Australian, and believe it or not their equivalent of the FDA actually ended up banning Borax in Australian. 

In fact, there isnt a single country in the world whose FDA equivalent will admit that its even safe to ingest - they all claim that its poisonous.  Meanwhile, Borax is a compound that is naturally found in a lot of vegetables.  The problem is that its just in trace amounts that have no medicinal value.  The reality is, Borax should be considered a compound that is essential to the human body.  Basically, everybody on the planet has a Borax deficiency.  It's completely insane.    

35 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Ultimately, you are absolutely right, but the reality is you're also very wrong.  i.e. the Dr that figured out that Borax can cure arthritis was Australian, and believe it or not their equivalent of the FDA actually ended up banning Borax in Australian. 

In fact, there isnt a single country in the world whose FDA equivalent will admit that its even safe to ingest - they all claim that its poisonous.  Meanwhile, Borax is a compound that is naturally found in a lot of vegetables.  The problem is that its just in trace amounts that have no medicinal value.  The reality is, Borax should be considered a compound that is essential to the human body.  Basically, everybody on the planet has a Borax deficiency.  It's completely insane.    

I'll be be honest ... that would keep me from using it ... there are many things that occur naturally that become poisonous/dangerous in greater concentrations/volumes ... they need to find a country that would allow them to conduct a study, or better yet to contract a reputable company/university to conduct an independent study.

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I'll be be honest ... that would keep me from using it ... there are many things that occur naturally that become poisonous/dangerous in greater concentrations/volumes ... they need to find a country that would allow them to conduct a study, or better yet to contract a reputable company/university to conduct an independent study.

You are right about natural things can be bad in high doses, almost anything can be. 

However, there are some studies that prove that its safe.  Naturopathic Dr's do recommend it, but regular MD's wont.  Plus, you only need trace amounts of it anyway.  Its just a higher amount than you can get from food.  ex:  The dose is 1 teaspoon mixed in 1L water, and take 1 teaspoon of that mixture.  Thats 200 doses from 1 teaspoon.  No clue how many teaspoons of Borax are in a box, but it'd make a ton of doses.  A $4 box would last decades. 

This is way off topic now. But I'll point out that there is a difference between a "study" and a peer-reviewed study. And a difference between a medical doctor (who is licensed and authorized to practise medicine and prescribe medication) and a naturopath (who is not). Medicine is based on science and peer reviews are a critical part of that science. Natural remedies that do pass those peer-reviewed studies do at times become part of medicine, but without sufficient evidence they do not.

Now, let's return to hockey and Shea Weber.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

This is way off topic now. But I'll point out that there is a difference between a "study" and a peer-reviewed study. And a difference between a medical doctor (who is licensed and authorized to practise medicine and prescribe medication) and a naturopath (who is not). Medicine is based on science and peer reviews are a critical part of that science. Natural remedies that do pass those peer-reviewed studies do at times become part of medicine, but without sufficient evidence they do not.

This post X 1000. 👏

Now, back on topic. This thread is a tough one for me. Shea Weber has had a splendid career and is the living incarnation of a certain kind of Canadian hockey ideal: the stoic, tough-as-a-boot-sandwich, unsmiling guy who Does Things The Right Way. (This ideal really only crystallized in the 1990s, but somehow has become associated with “old school” Canadian hockey; but that’s another story).

Elephant in the room: when we traded for him, as some may recall, I was utterly dismayed. This was less because I thought Weber was bad than because Subban was years younger than him, so the trade reduced our Cup window; and because represented a newer model and (IMHO) more fully rounded player. Part of my outrage was that I prefer what PK represents to Weber’s archetypically white bread humourlessness, and part of it was that I like defencemen who can move the puck and create plays. Subban was a three-zone player where Weber was a two-zone guy. And I was worried about Weber’s age and ridiculous contract.

Fortunately for the Habs, however, Subban aged out very early (by 30 he was no longer elite) and so the age factor that worried me so much was completely neutralized. The trade worked out, for both teams really, as both guys were integral to Cup runs for their new teams. 

However, Weber’s contract remains one of the very worst in hockey. And that’s the trouble. It feels ungracious to say, but I do not want Weber to come back. I don’t want to carry his $7.8 on the back end until he is age 42. There is simply no way that he will return as anything other than a shadow of himself: a plodding #4-5 guy at best. Frankly that is what he was for most of last year. And there is a danger that he will hang on anyway as long as he can take a regular shift, like Messier did. The coaches and teammates will love him as Our Great Leader. And his cap hit (especially combined with Price’s) will basically destroy our ability to build a contender for the foreseeable future.

Weber, then, deserves our gratitude for being a bright spot over mostly crappy Habs years, our undying appreciation for spearheading the Cup Run of ‘21, and the respect of all hockey fans for his distinguished career. He is a Hall of Famer. In a pre-cap world, I would be pulling for him to come back and take a final turn as a role-playing D-man and inspirational figure. But in the cap world we actually live in, it is time for him to ride off graciously into the sunset - with our thanks for his important contributions.

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... However, Weber’s contract remains one of the very worst in hockey. And that’s the trouble. It feels ungracious to say, but I do not want Weber to come back. I don’t want to carry his $7.8 on the back end until he is age 42...

If he doesn't retire, the best hope may be a team deciding to tear-down their roster and wanting Weber for the "free cap hit" ... $4,857,143 in 22-23 and $6,857,143 for the three years thereafter ... but that's more than likely a long shot

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... There is simply no way that he will return as anything other than a shadow of himself: a plodding #4-5 guy at best. Frankly that is what he was for most of last year. And there is a danger that he will hang on anyway as long as he can take a regular shift, like Messier did. The coaches and teammates will love him as Our Great Leader. And his cap hit (especially combined with Price’s) will basically destroy our ability to build a contender for the foreseeable future ...

I agree he is unlikely to ever again be able to "play to his AAV", especially if the new "no cross-checking" crackdown survives ... his still wanting to play would be the worst-case scenario ... if a player is "healthy" (e.g., physically capable of playing without further injury) and wants to play the team cannot LTIR him ... technically they wouldn't be able to even if he was agreeable to the LTIR, but don't know when the NHL last refused a LTIR designation.

I liked Subban, when he was traded I lost the joy o ff watching hockey with my three daughters because they stopped being interested.

but I have learned to like Weber. I appreciate his steadiness and his commitment to the team in all aspects on and off the ice

i do want him back, like I wanted Markov after his two “career ending” knee operations. he could be a great 3rd pairing guy to enable Norlinder, Harris or Guhle to establish themselves 

And later, as a healthy scratch, he could be the 7th D and show others « the way » 

he is worth the risk in my view

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

And later, as a healthy scratch, he could be the 7th D and show others « the way » 

he is worth the risk in my view

A cap hit of 7.8M is way way too much for a 7th D.  He can show others the way in others ways (ie. maybe behind the bench or some other capacity). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tomh009 said:

As an MD, I almost blew my lid reading this thread - especially these days. 

100% this. Medicine is data and peer review driven. Anything else can be dangerous. Now go out and get your Covid -19 shots HW. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Now, back on topic. This thread is a tough one for me. Shea Weber has had a splendid career and is the living incarnation of a certain kind of Canadian hockey ideal: the stoic, tough-as-a-boot-sandwich, unsmiling guy who Does Things The Right Way. (This ideal really only crystallized in the 1990s, but somehow has become associated with “old school” Canadian hockey; but that’s another story).

However, Weber’s contract remains one of the very worst in hockey. And that’s the trouble. It feels ungracious to say, but I do not want Weber to come back. I don’t want to carry his $7.8 on the back end until he is age 42. There is simply no way that he will return as anything other than a shadow of himself: a plodding #4-5 guy at best. Frankly that is what he was for most of last year. And there is a danger that he will hang on anyway as long as he can take a regular shift, like Messier did. The coaches and teammates will love him as Our Great Leader. And his cap hit (especially combined with Price’s) will basically destroy our ability to build a contender for the foreseeable future.

Weber, then, deserves our gratitude for being a bright spot over mostly crappy Habs years, our undying appreciation for spearheading the Cup Run of ‘21, and the respect of all hockey fans for his distinguished career. He is a Hall of Famer. In a pre-cap world, I would be pulling for him to come back and take a final turn as a role-playing D-man and inspirational figure. But in the cap world we actually live in, it is time for him to ride off graciously into the sunset - with our thanks for his important contributions.

A well thought out post and likely captures how many feel (including myself). I have enormous respect for his contributions.  Unfortunately father time has caught up with Mr. Weber and there is no way in my opinion he will be able to  contribute enough on the ice to warrant a 7.8M cap hit.  His departure leaves a big leadership void and it will have to be filled by others.  

47 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

A cap hit of 7.8M is way way too much for a 7th D.  He can show others the way in others ways (ie. maybe behind the bench or some other capacity). 

Let him heal, see if he can train. If he makes him through rehab and training:

1. Evaluate

2. Make informed decision

3. Explore options

until then, why start with posthumous tributes and talking in past tense?

Weber is still on the payroll , there is still a chance he makes it back !!! FCOL

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Let him heal, see if he can train. If he makes him through rehab and training:

1. Evaluate

2. Make informed decision

3. Explore options

until then, why start with posthumous tributes and talking in past tense?

Weber is still on the payroll , there is still a chance he makes it back !!! FCOL

Fair point, perhaps we are getting ahead of ourselves. I certainly hope he can heal. Best case scenario (for Shea) is that  he takes a year off and heals enough so that he wants to give it a shot as a 37 year old defenceman.  I don't think he will be a mobile 37 year defenceman even if his body is in better shape as mobility does not improve with age.  Many writers seem to think he is done.  They likely know more about his health issues than we do. 

I had to look up FCOL as I had no idea what it meant.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Drouin straight up said on air that Weber retired, that veryone knows it by now. 😐

Drouin can say whatever he wants ... until Shea files the retirement paperwork his official status is "injured" ... ***NOT*** that I ever expect he will play again.