Game #3 NY Rangers vs MTL Canadiens Oct.16 2021, 7:00pm

alfredoh2009

Four regulars out of their lineup

Caufield should be playing sheltered minutes on the 3Rd line instead of being counted to carry the load

Suzuki should have the best wingers instead of being asked to feed the rookie while playing against the other teams top line

and the D needs help, either team support or a trade 

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The glass half-empty view would be he had two golden opportunities and couldn't convert ... this is an important year for Jake as he has a golden opportunity (semi-pun intended) to show he merits the 3C position ... not by default but because his play (offence and defence) makes him a quality 3C ... we've seen the defence already and I think we've seen glimpses of the offensive skill, but glimpses are not enough ... as long as he is in the 3C slot this season he will have the chance with quality wingers ... it is possible he might have benefited from a full season as the 4C to entrench himself as a NHLer ... but that wasn't in the cards.

The 3rd line center we had is having a worst start of the season in CAR

so, I’ll stay positive on Evans 

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

Caufield should be playing sheltered minutes on the 3Rd line instead of being counted to carry the load

Suzuki should have the best wingers instead of being asked to feed the rookie while playing against the other teams top line

and the D needs help, either team support or a trade 

Too early to panic and make a trade. They are not in a good bargaining position right now.  It's only 3 games!!

Of course there will be a little pressure on Suzuki and Caulfield, that's the way it is.  They weren't sheltered in the playoffs, no need to shelter them now. 

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The 3rd line center we had is having a worst start of the season in CAR

so, I’ll stay positive on Evans 

I am unconvinced on Evans ... but have in no way written him off ... just not keen on going into a season where the objective is the playoffs (not a chance at the playoffs) with a 7th round pick with only 60 NHL games as the 3C when the team's strength is supposed to be three line scoring depth.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I am unconvinced on Evans ... but have in no way written him off ... just not keen on going into a season where the objective is the playoffs (not a chance at the playoffs) with a 7th round pick with only 60 NHL games as the 3C when the team's strength is supposed to be three line scoring depth.

Evans won’t be the reason we miss the playoffs. The D and the first two lines will. I think the first two lines will come around, but I think the D is a shitshow, and I think it will remain so barring a major trade.

I think we are guaranteed to miss the playoffs. We just better sure we are bottom 10.

8 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Evans won’t be the reason we miss the playoffs. The D and the first two lines will. I think the first two lines will come around, but I think the D is a shitshow, and I think it will remain so barring a major trade.

I think we are guaranteed to miss the playoffs. We just better sure we are bottom 10.

Wasn't saying or suggesting that Evans would be the reason ... and agree that the defence is the major issue ... but given the weakness on defence, the team will need lots and lots of scoring ... both to offset goals allowed and to keep the puck out of the Habs' end.

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Too early to panic and make a trade. They are not in a good bargaining position right now.  It's only 3 games!!

Of course there will be a little pressure on Suzuki and Caulfield, that's the way it is.  They weren't sheltered in the playoffs, no need to shelter them now. 

Toffoli was producing until he got hurt and Armia was a scoring threat in the playoffs

thjs year, Suzuki’s line is just not competing 

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Evans is the best option we have right now to play 3C

unconvinced or convinced

he is doing fine. Got more scoring chances than Suzuki last game 

Things I miss from preseason, a defenceman (Guhle) that could actually make a clearing pass consistently and our PP which consisted of movement and not just loading up one timers. 

I am no amused with the team at the moment. Just not there. 

57 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I miss the Habs playing against AHLers and teenagers too

Well ... at 1-3 they did have a better winning percentage than they do now ... 😉

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not just that. I believe that they were successful in the playoffs because they played together, as a single unit. They knew each other, trusted each other and supported each other. They were far from the most talented group of players in the playoffs, but they were very much a team.

Now, setting Price aside for the moment (his absence is certainly a factor), we are missing Byron, Danault, Edmundson, Gustafsson, Kotkaniemi, Merrill, Perry, Staal, Tatar and Weber. That's ten skaters who were (mostly) regulars in the playoffs, more than half the skaters in the lineup on any given night.

What we have today is not the same team. Yes, we still have Suzuki, Gallagher and Petry et al, but there are so many new players that I think it's impossible for the oldtimers to know and trust all the new guys, and vice versa. This does not happen overnight.

Starting the season 0-3 is no fun. But turning this group into a Team will take more than that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Not just that. I believe that they were successful in the playoffs because they played together, as a single unit. They knew each other, trusted each other and supported each other. They were far from the most talented group of players in the playoffs, but they were very much a team.

Now, setting Price aside for the moment (his absence is certainly a factor), we are missing Byron, Danault, Edmundson, Gustafsson, Kotkaniemi, Merrill, Perry, Staal, Tatar and Weber. That's ten skaters who were (mostly) regulars in the playoffs, more than half the skaters in the lineup on any given night.

What we have today is not the same team. Yes, we still have Suzuki, Gallagher and Petry et al, but there are so many new players that I think it's impossible for the oldtimers to know and trust all the new guys, and vice versa. This does not happen overnight.

Starting the season 0-3 is no fun. But turning this group into a Team will take more than that.

Perry should have been given a two year deal the day after the finals - if not before than. He’s a glue player that would help immensely. He also gave an honest effort every night. The skill wasn’t there but the effort was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Perry should have been given a two year deal the day after the finals - if not before than. He’s a glue player that would help immensely. He also gave an honest effort every night. The skill wasn’t there but the effort was.

I think Perry saw the writing on the wall with Weber going down and knew the Habs would have a hard time repeating their success. He went where the best chance is to win a cup. I am not convinced he would have stayed had the Habs offered 2 years.  He has made 93 million in his career, I don't think it was about term or money. He just wants to win another cup. 

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Perry should have been given a two year deal the day after the finals - if not before than. 

Was he offered one, did he turn it down?

Perry, yes. But not just Perry. The reality is that building a team -- when half the members are new -- takes time. Ducharme did well with this last season, and by the time we hit the playoffs they were playing well together. The challenges of the COVID-compressed regular-season schedule may have, ironically, helped them mould into a team.

Do we have enough time to turn this new collection of players into a Team, and still make the 2022 playoffs? That's really the question. If they can't learn to play as a team, I think our playoff chances will be minimal.