Oct. 19, San Jose vs Montreal, 7 PM

dlbalr

30 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Kulak  - Petry

Chiarot  - Wideman

Romanov  - Savard

These are much more balanced pairings.  We can't do the top-4 turtle job that worked in the playoffs for a whole season.

Up front, Zukes needs Gally's steady hand against the top matchups, and it's a good opportunity for Hoffman to make his mark with the new club.  I expect Caufield to play for years with Suzuki when they're both more established in the league, but it doesn't have to happen right away.

When is this coaching staff going to build the powerplay around Caufield?  He's clearly our most dangerous offensive player, and I'd leave him out for both units. He's a great passer so he doesn't always have to line up for the one timer.  Unfortunately I think to Ducharme he's still technically a rookie and there are so many other wingers in the pecking order. 

3 minutes ago, Neech said:

These are much more balanced pairings.  We can't do the top-4 turtle job that worked in the playoffs for a whole season ...

It may require more even distribution of TOI as I don't see Kulak as up to the 18+ minutes 5-on-5 that Petry normally plays

5 minutes ago, Neech said:

... Up front, Zukes needs Gally's steady hand against the top matchups, and it's a good opportunity for Hoffman to make his mark with the new club.  I expect Caufield to play for years with Suzuki when they're both more established in the league, but it doesn't have to happen right away ...

Worth a look ... assuming "Zukes" means Suzuki ... personal nickname or does the team use it?

6 minutes ago, Neech said:

... When is this coaching staff going to build the powerplay around Caufield?  He's clearly our most dangerous offensive player, and I'd leave him out for both units. He's a great passer so he doesn't always have to line up for the one timer.  Unfortunately I think to Ducharme he's still technically a rookie and there are so many other wingers in the pecking order. 

Don't know that you want to put that sort of pressure on the shoulders of a rookie who thus far has not matched his success in the 4 regular season games last year, or even the lesser but still impressive success from the playoffs ... let him get his game and confidence together before asking him to be the PP saviour.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Per RDS:

Drouin - Dvorak  - Anderson

Hoffman  - Suzuki  - Gallagher

Toffoli  - Perreault  - Caufield

Lehkonen   - Evans/Brooks  - Paquette/Armia

Kulak  - Petry

Chiarot  - Wideman

Romanov  - Savard

Power Play

Toffoli

Drouin  - Dvorak - Hoffman

Petry

Perreault

Caufield - Anderson - Suzuki

Wideman

The new third pairing looks good, but the 1st and 2nd pairings, both have. Third pairing player.

57 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Don't know that you want to put that sort of pressure on the shoulders of a rookie who thus far has not matched his success in the 4 regular season games last year, or even the lesser but still impressive success from the playoffs ... let him get his game and confidence together before asking him to be the PP saviour.

The powerplay has stunk for years now, I don't think there's that much pressure for Caufield to be a 'saviour', just to make it look functional and dangerous.  I think giving a shooter like him more opportunities with the puck on his stick in space can only be a good thing.  Our PP problem is practically an organizational issue at this point with how it hasn't been remotely addressed over an extended period, and Caufield looks like the one game breaker we have who was made for the open ice on the man advantage.  

3 hours ago, Neech said:

The powerplay has stunk for years now, I don't think there's that much pressure for Caufield to be a 'saviour', just to make it look functional and dangerous.  I think giving a shooter like him more opportunities with the puck on his stick in space can only be a good thing.  Our PP problem is practically an organizational issue at this point with how it hasn't been remotely addressed over an extended period, and Caufield looks like the one game breaker we have who was made for the open ice on the man advantage.  

Guess we can agree to disagree on Caufield ... but I agree the PP has been a long-standing issue ... Burrows was acclaimed for the initial PP improvement when he took over, but they never managed to quite get up to the median of the league last regular season ... and despite making the Finals the Habs were a very pedestrian 18.9% (middle of the pack, 8th of 16) in the playoffs ... if the PP doesn't turn around in the near future I would not be surprised to see Burrows sacrificed to the wolves ... not many coaches in the fourth year of their coaching careers do it in the NHL.

The Power Play plan hasn't changed, they are trying to pass everything back to the point man to shoot instead of going cross seem to the wingers, or letting the guy in the bumper position shoot.  It was an outdated power play when it had Shea Weber and his slap shot back there, now that Weber isn't there, it's an even stupider plan than it was last season (and it was still a stupid plan even with Weber).

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

I keep seeing Savard getting burned wide. His mobility is clearly an issue.  He was a good skater when he was younger but has lost a half step.  This has removed his offence that he had earlier in his career as well.  I'm not saying he is as physical as Weber, but he doesn't have issues with power forwards, he has issues with speed. 

that sounds a lot like Chiarot, doesn't it?

Are they both like Hal Gill was? or Jordie Benn?

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

that sounds a lot like Chiarot, doesn't it?

Are they both like Hal Gill was? or Jordie Benn?

1) yes, it does sound like Chiarot.  Which is why they shouldn't play together.  You have two defencemen with the same strengths and weaknesses.

Jordie Benn is a good comparison for both.

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

1) yes, it does sound like Chiarot.  Which is why they shouldn't play together.  You have two defencemen with the same strengths and weaknesses.

I cannot agree more with your criticisms of the coaches’ tendency to create “redundant” D pairings, i.e., pairing guys with identical profiles. I’ve never seen anything like it. And I also applaud your criticism of the PP. Both bring to mind the old saw about the “definition of insanity.”

With Hoffman returning, the PP has two potential trigger-men: him and Caufield. Meanwhile, the team has no legitimate PP QB. (Petry could make a claim, but that has never been his signature). Surely the right approach involves some version of cycling down low to set up CC or Hoffman for deadly one-timers, not wishing we still had Weber’s bomb at the point. (That bomb was more like a pop-can fizzle last season anyway). 

Very frustrating. I’ll admit that I hate linear thinking and stubbornness in coaching. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

since that is the case, the Habs are in big trouble. There is no way they make the playoffs with two Jordie clones in the lineup and two Mete clones on the third pair...

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

since that is the case, the Habs are in big trouble. There is no way they make the playoffs with two Jordie clones in the lineup and two Mete clones on the third pair...

Chiarot is better than Jordie Benn. Chiarot is also better than Savard

I was just saying style wise, they are more Benn (who had a little bit of offence) than Hal Gill who had none. 

14 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

If the canes roll over us with KK scoring a few goals, will it be the end of MB?

Doubtful.  I think it would at least be late November/early December before they make a change. (the American Thanksgiving timeline). 

I also remember Gauthier, they fired him like two weeks before trade deadline when he was done.

3 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

If the canes roll over us with KK scoring a few goals, will it be the end of MB?

If Molson hasn't made the move by now, despite not MB not having a contract for next year, I doubt that he does anything until the end of the season ... unless there is an in-season extension ... or the team does so ridiculously poorly by Christmas that it is the only way to keep the pitchforks and torches away from the Bell Centre.

image.png