Oct. 28, Habs @ Sharks, 10:30 PM (EDT)

GHT120

I'll take a shot ... even though I won't be watching live

image.png

• Upvote 1

Impossible to finish the first 10 game segment of the season even close to .500

let's see if this team has some fight in it, or if it is just "in full flight" for Write :unsure:

In any case, I am always hopeful for a god showing from the Habs

:habslogo::habslogo::habslogo:

Go Habs Go

45 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Impossible to finish the first 10 game segment of the season even close to .500

let's see if this team has some fight in it, or if it is just "in full flight" for Write :unsure:

In any case, I am always hopeful for a god showing from the Habs

Go Habs Go

If 95 points is the playoff threshold (oft-cited number), over the next 75 games (starting tonight) the habs have to get 93 of the possible 150 points ... a .620 pace ... in the last semi-regular, regular season only 7 teams managed that for the season ... in the last regular, regular season only 6 teams did it ... quite a challenge ... not one I feel confident that they can overcome.

OMG, I think I've seen several small flashes of a "system" being in place.  

On 3 occasions I believe I saw signs of what they were doing in the playoffs vs the Leafs in Games 5-7.  i.e. the 3 man holding the blueline technique when the opposition is attempting to move the puck into the Habs zone.  So far this game they've successfully stopped SJ 3 times from entering their zone with the puck by doing that.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If 95 points is the playoff threshold (oft-cited number), over the next 75 games (starting tonight) the habs have to get 93 of the possible 150 points ... a .620 pace ... in the last semi-regular, regular season only 7 teams managed that for the season ... in the last regular, regular season only 6 teams did it ... quite a challenge ... not one I feel confident that they can overcome.

I think they will finish under 80 points.

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wow, another potential goal robbing save by Allen.  

Caufield looked good on that shift.  

Hopefully they do something on this PP!!!

Allen cant be blamed for his lousy GAA or save percentage this year.

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Allen cant be blamed for his lousy GAA or save percentage this year.

The Habs have played like garbage in front of Allen this year - he cant be blamed for all of the goals.  Until this game I can't say that I've seen him come up with any really big saves either.  However, I havent seen any games yet where any big saves would have made any difference.  

There is often a strange vicious relationship between garbage play in front a goalie and a goalies inability to make important saves and bail a team out.  i.e. if there is mutual pessimism its like they both stop playing their best for each other.  They must have confidence in each other.   

ex:  why would Allen play his ass off, he knows they wont win 1-0?  Why would the players play hard and back check etc when they think Allen wont make a big save anyway?

2 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I thought the Habs looked a lot better tonight. Overall cohesiveness seems better.

Not too sure about the past tense here, but the game thus far has boiled down to Allen out-goaltending the other guy. That’s been the difference.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Not too sure about the past tense here, but the game thus far has boiled down to Allen out-goaltending the other guy. That’s been the difference.

Better puck recovery. More won battles. Better breakouts. Better zone time. More short pass puck support. Better than their first 7 games anyway. 

23 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The Habs have played like garbage in front of Allen this year - he cant be blamed for all of the goals.  Until this game I can't say that I've seen him come up with any really big saves either.  However, I havent seen any games yet where any big saves would have made any difference.  

There is often a strange vicious relationship between garbage play in front a goalie and a goalies inability to make important saves and bail a team out.  i.e. if there is mutual pessimism its like they both stop playing their best for each other.  They must have confidence in each other.   

ex:  why would Allen play his ass off, he knows they wont win 1-0?  Why would the players play hard and back check etc when they think Allen wont make a big save anyway?

I thought a Allen kept them in the first game against the Leafs. The D has been horrid though. 
I think there definitely is a different feeling for the team when they know Price is at the top of his game, than there is when Allen is playing well. But a goalie can only keep a team in games so long. This is only the second game against a winnable team that they looked good. Even if Allen had played in the game, and stood on his head against Buffalo, I’m pretty sure they would have lost if the team played that badly. They may have outshot the rangers, but a Allen kept them in that game.

44 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Further to this, tonight shows how it can become a virtuous circle rather than a vicious one. The goalie makes big saves, the team draws confidence and plays well enough to give him some run support, and he makes more big saves. We’ve seen this many times with Price.