Oct. 28, Habs @ Sharks, 10:30 PM (EDT)

GHT120

1 minute ago, BCHabnut said:

Sharks took over in the 3rd. Allen has had to make too many great saves

Yes, but he’s making them. The Habs are hanging on with a big lead. If they get the W it will be one to build on.

5 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Should only be one of Niku, Romanov, Kulak on a team. Defense is gonna be a major problem this year.

We’re missing two of our top-4 from the playoffs (Weber and Edmundson). Savard is not on the level of either. So, yeah.

I knew Romanov would pay a price after he laid that huge hit on the guy in a 3-0 game with 25 seconds left. Against The Code.

Happy for Allen, he sure earned the SO 

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If 95 points is the playoff threshold (oft-cited number), over the next 75 games (starting tonight) the habs have to get 93 of the possible 150 points ... a .620 pace ... in the last semi-regular, regular season only 7 teams managed that for the season ... in the last regular, regular season only 6 teams did it ... quite a challenge ... not one I feel confident that they can overcome.

Those are interesting stats, but they are stated in a way that makes it sound hard.  The next few games will be crucial, and they need to get a 3 game win streak going.  

The way I view it seems more doable.  i.e. they play 1 crap month, but 2 good months should equal it out.  ex: stretches of 3-4 wins followed by 1 loss and another stretch of wins, repeat numerous times for a month.  They needs 2 months like that.

If they end this month strong and have 2 months of playing .750-.800 that should get them to slightly over 600.  

8 minutes ago, Neech said:

Romanov shouldn't have to eat some punches at the very end of the game for a clean hit.  So stupid.

I see Godjovich got an instigator penalty for that fight.   I believe that's an automatic 1 game suspension for instigating in the final 5 minutes of the third.  He deserves it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

If they end this month strong and have 2 months of playing .750-.800 that should get them to slightly over 600.  

Two months of .750 hockey? Not holding my breath.

We got the shutout today but were outshot handily by a lottery team.  I don't think the next 3 games against other bottom-feeders will tell us much, unless we really stink it up.

Just now, BCHabnut said:

First win in San Jose in decades. Jake Allen was sensational.

I was shocked when they said the Habs hadn't won in SJ since 1999.  When I heard that I sorta wondered if it is true because that certainly doesn't sound right.  I do remember hearing 10-12 years ago that they hadn't won there in over 10 years.   I vaguely remember a game that I thought they won, but maybe they lost in OT or something funny and got their 1st point in 10 years.  

Plus, at 1 point they didnt play there every year.  Its likely that in 5-7 of those 22 years they didnt play in SJ. 

@hab29RETIRED you make a valid point about the Leafs and Rags games, but I feel that the goals that Allen let in those games were fairly weak.  i.e. they weren't unstoppable shots.  Buff seemed to have the best shots so far -  Allen had little to no chance on numerous of those goals.  In anyone is to blame its more the teams fault than his.  

56 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Further to this, tonight shows how it can become a virtuous circle rather than a vicious one. The goalie makes big saves, the team draws confidence and plays well enough to give him some run support, and he makes more big saves. We’ve seen this many times with Price.

Exactly!!  There is a bizarre proportional harmony to it and they had it going on in this game.  Hopefully, they can keep it up and get some momentum going and end the month strong.  

We've seen that with Price a ton.  

8 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Should only be one of Niku, Romanov, Kulak on a team. Defense is gonna be a major problem this year.

Niku and Kulak actually had the best xGF% and gave up no more high-danger chances than other Habs' defenders.

Romanov needs to get his game back. Is it a confidence issue or something else? He showed last season that is able to play better than this.

9 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

With Edmundson reintegrating the lineup soon, we'll get closer to that.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Niku and Kulak actually had the best xGF% and gave up no more high-danger chances than other Habs' defenders.

Romanov needs to get his game back. Is it a confidence issue or something else? He showed last season that is able to play better than this.

Kulak definitely had a better game last night. But over the long haul, having those 3 back there is not a recipe for success. Only one of them should be in the line up. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

With Edmundson reintegrating the lineup soon, we'll get closer to that.

I expect Edmundson's return likely increases the TOI for the top pairing (i.e., he and Petry) which takes some pressure off the other two pairings ...some mix of Savard-Chiarot-Kulak-Romanov will likely make up the second pairing ... Kulak has a shot of being in that mix but, IMO, unless he is playing the best hockey of his career (on a regular basis) that would not be good news ... and I don't see whatever pairing emerges out of that mix as anything more than an outstanding third, at best very average second pairing ... a key may be for whoever ends up on the third pairing to play well enough to not overburden the second pairing, which in turn will avoid having to greatly overburden the top pairing.

Edmundson-Petry

Chiarot-Savard

are NHL D pairings that can play against any team. They will improve over the season and will be fine

Niku is playing better and better. I like his mobility and play on the PP

that leaves a 3rd pair of Niku-Romanov-Kulak

Wideman may be traded rather than sent to Laval, unless they send Romanov to Laval and have Wideman as the healthy scratch on most nights

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Edmundson-Petry

Chiarot-Savard

are NHL D pairings that can play against any team. They will improve over the season and will be fine

Niku is playing better and better. I like his mobility and play on the PP

that leaves a 3rd pair of Niku-Romanov-Kulak

Wideman may be traded rather than sent to Laval, unless they send Romanov to Laval and have Wideman as the healthy scratch on most nights

I like the first pair, but I'm less sanguine than you about the second. I think it will really struggle against speed off the rush.

To my mind, the team has a legit (if less than stellar) top pairing and then two bottom pairings.

Agree that of all the puck-movers, Niku seems to be the only one with any viable hope of improving enough to become a reliable source of dynamism after Petry. He's young and may stabilize his game as he grows more comfortable. Even that is a stretch -but we know Kulak is never going to win the trust of the coaches, and Wideman appears to be the odd man out already.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... we know Kulak is never going to win the trust of the coaches ...

Similar things were said about Mete, with speculation that he just needed a change of scenery ... well ... he was 6th in TOI in his short stint with the Sens last season and is 7th this season ... players that show but glimpses that inspire hope, all too often are "far more sizzle than steak" ... and leave coaches/teams hungry for more.

9 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Can't have 44 shots against and that many high danger ones. I felt like aside from the early penalties, the play was fairly even until the third.  Habs were very bad in the third. 

Score effects came into play in the third.  I'm not too worried about it. 

The Habs played well and built a lead and deserved the win. 

Compared to repeatedly giving up breakaways when the score is close, something we saw in Seattle and other games, this was much better.

• Upvote 1