Oct. 28, Habs @ Sharks, 10:30 PM (EDT)

GHT120

35 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Edmundson-Petry

Chiarot-Savard

are NHL D pairings that can play against any team. They will improve over the season and will be fine

Niku is playing better and better. I like his mobility and play on the PP

that leaves a 3rd pair of Niku-Romanov-Kulak

Wideman may be traded rather than sent to Laval, unless they send Romanov to Laval and have Wideman as the healthy scratch on most nights

I've seen enough of Chiarot-Savard this season to know that the pairing doesn't work.  It's way too vulnerable to speed and puck possession. 

I believe the Habs coaching staff will keep playing Chiarot-Savard to their detriment

not my choice, but following that logic, a D will have to be traded or waived.

I much rather trade Kulak for a higher return than waive Wideman for zero benefit to the team

but ideally I would send Romanov to Laval so that he can find his confidence and plays lots of minutes for a short time

13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I believe the Habs coaching staff will keep playing Chiarot-Savard to their detriment

I much rather trade Kulak for a higher return than waive Wideman for zero benefit to the team

but ideally I would send Romanov to Laval so that he can find his confidence and plays lots of minutes for a short time

The way he throws his weight around, I'm not sure he lacks confidence, to be honest. But sending him down would be a chance to work on other parts of his game. Conversely, it would also further weaken our blueline. Maybe after Edmundson returns...

I agree with you on the coaches. They appear to be too ideologically wedded to the "Clydesdale" model...although in their defence, it's not like we have any decently reliable puck-movers to put in the top-4 after Petry anyway. 

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The way he throws his weight around, I'm not sure he lacks confidence, to be honest. But sending him down would be a chance to work on other parts of his game.

https://www.habsworld.net/2021/10/allen-backstops-a-4-0-win-in-san-jose/

2nd star of game for Romanov and great to see the kid score and toss out numerous big hits. Encouraging!

Is good year (non playoff) to simply play him regular (barring struggling terribly) live with his mistakes and help him learn. Laval would not be a consideration for me.

The bushleague Code; Cant make big hit when winning & game has been decided. Sad but fact of life.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The way he throws his weight around, I'm not sure he lacks confidence, to be honest. But sending him down would be a chance to work on other parts of his game. Conversely, it would also further weaken our blueline. Maybe after Edmundson returns...

I agree with you on the coaches. They appear to be too ideologically wedded to the "Clydesdale" model...although in their defence, it's not like we have any decently reliable puck-movers to put in the top-4 after Petry anyway. 

CC, what is "Clydesdale" ? what do you mean by it?

42 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

CC, what is "Clydesdale" ? what do you mean by it?

Literally ... A horse of a heavy, powerful breed, used for pulling heavy loads ... in this context, I expect it is defencemen who are big and powerful but not fast, agile or particularly skilled puckmovers. 

54 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Literally ... A horse of a heavy, powerful breed, used for pulling heavy loads ... in this context, I expect it is defencemen who are big and powerful but not fast, agile or particularly skilled puckmovers. 

Exactly. I think it was Luke Richardson who described the D as "Clydesdales" in the playoffs last year. I thought it was common knowledge - sorry if that was obscure.

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Exactly. I think it was Luke Richardson who described the D as "Clydesdales" in the playoffs last year. I thought it was common knowledge - sorry if that was obscure.

I could have googled it, but wanted to know how you meant it.

Thanks!

Edited by alfredoh2009
thanks

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

They haven't been playing Chiarot-Savard together in the last 3 games (two of which are wins).

They also have increased Kulak's responsibility during that time and he's played very well. 

Romanov also had a goal and an assist last night. 

Niku is also playing better. 

Is it perfect? Of course not, but things have been better this week.  Hopefully they can take at least 3 points from the games in LA and Anaheim and come home from this road trip with an above 500 record in the four games.  That would start them on the path and then edmundson will be back.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

They haven't been playing Chiarot-Savard together in the last 3 games (two of which are wins).

They also have increased Kulak's responsibility during that time and he's played very well. 

Is it perfect? Of course not, but things have been better this week.  Hopefully they can take at least 3 points from the games in LA and Anaheim and come home from this road trip with an above 500 record in the four games.  That would start them on the path and then edmundson will be back.

I haven't watched teh SEA game, and I was falling sleep watching the SJS game and missed the pairings during the game.

was it Chiarot-Savard or Romanov-Savard?

I though they had Niku-Kulak which would have put Romanov with Savard(? not sure anymore :spamafote:?)

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm pretty sure  @alfredoh2009 asked the same question back when Richardson made that comment.   

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I could have googled it, but wanted to know how you meant it.

The expression Clydesdale is a reference to a work horse.  Best example is think a large wagon full of beer kegs that are stacked 2-3 high.  A team 4 horses would barely be able to budge it, 6 horses would struggle, so 8 horses would be needed to pull it, but Clydesdales are so big 2 could pull it no problem.  

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Surprisingly, that is a myth - Clydesdales are actually fairly fast and agile for thier size.  

There used to be tons of Clydesdales, but they are rare now because with tractors farmers dont need them anymore.  Today, they are just considered big and eat 2-3 times the food a regular horse eats so they're expensive to keep around.

At 1 point Budweiser was considering getting rid of their Clydesdales but there was a public outcry about it so they decided to keep them.  

I learned English as an adult and I dont know many animal names (group of baby geese is called..., female of a pig is a ..., this type of work horse is a ...)

same for food spices, fruits and vegetables

thanks for the explanation

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

so, yes. they are not playing Chiarot-Savard now

but I believe they will go with that when Edmudson rejoins the line up

54 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... Surprisingly, that is a myth - Clydesdales are actually fairly fast and agile for thier size ...

In the context of the horses, perhaps ... but not certain in the context of the Habs defence that any of their "Clydesdales"  are considered fast or agile ... 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I thought kulak was hot garbage in the Seattle game. Could have been just me though.

40 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I thought kulak was hot garbage in the Seattle game. Could have been just me though.

on the 3rd goal Kulak looked was really bad, he was caught on a 2 on one, left the shooter to Allen and was on the ice behind the play before the shot

I am watching now the recording and it is sooo painful

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

In the context of the horses, perhaps ... but not certain in the context of the Habs defence that any of their "Clydesdales"  are considered fast or agile ... 

You're correct that the Habs dmen aren't fast or agile but thats really irrelevant to the expression.  That is a common misconception - the term is really about strength and workload:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_horse

ex:  4 of the Habs dmen had the size and strength to play 25 mins/game.  

On 10/27/2021 at 11:00 AM, DON said:

They got both Sat and Sun afternoon games. Dont buy the jet leg bit, is all of 3 hours time change and they were out there early to party team-bond.

Simply miss Price, Edmunston, Weber, Danault and replacements arnt cutting it, on what was a fairly weak team to begin with. 

Oh well, hope they play better in SanJose tomorrow, not expecting it but they should have at least 1 good game on the trip...i hope.

Guess it wore off? If you travel across time zones often you would get what I am on about. I expect a good showing again today.

2 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Guess it wore off? If you travel across time zones often you would get what I am on about. I expect a good showing again today.

Well, had a good (better) game, now can they follow it up with strong effort this afternoon.

Will Danault help shut down his ol team?

Will Hoffman extend to 4gm goal streak?  

Suzuki & Caufield combined have scored fewer goals than Romanov, hope that changes today.

Appears battle of 2 pretty weak teams;

(poached table from EOTP)

Canadiens Statistics Kings
2-6-0 Record 1-5-1
46.9% (25th) Scoring-chances-for % 51.1% (15th)
1.88 (30th) Goals per game 2.29 (27th)
3.13 (20th) Goals against per game 3.29 (26th)
10.3% (30th) PP% 17.4% (18th)
69.0% (18th) PK% 61.9% (31st)
1-0-0 H2H Record (19-20) 0-1-0