Oct. 30, Habs @ Kings, 4:00 PM (EDT)

GHT120

I see the issues this season as blindingly obvious. Our defense can't transition the puck out of our end and can't hold the blue line in the other end. Teams are playing their forwards high in their own end to force the d to make quick decisions and we turn it over for rushes time and time again. We NEED to make a move on the point. Period. Wideman and Savard, I would trade either for Mete. Bonehead loss. Petry is not able to carry the pressure of being the #1 guy. He did well as a fill in knowing Weber was coming back before, but the weigh of the role seems to be killing his game. 2 guys calling for the pass and he takes yet another wrister wide. SMH. The blueline as it is will not make the playoffs and will likely finish bottom of the league. Maybe that is the plan, Plight for Wright is in full swing.

Fire the coach.

26 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

I see the issues this season as blindingly obvious. Our defense can't transition the puck out of our end and can't hold the blue line in the other end. Teams are playing their forwards high in their own end to force the d to make quick decisions and we turn it over for rushes time and time again. We NEED to make a move on the point. Period. Wideman and Savard, I would trade either for Mete. Bonehead loss. Petry is not able to carry the pressure of being the #1 guy. He did well as a fill in knowing Weber was coming back before, but the weigh of the role seems to be killing his game. 2 guys calling for the pass and he takes yet another wrister wide. SMH. The blueline as it is will not make the playoffs and will likely finish bottom of the league. Maybe that is the plan, Plight for Wright is in full swing.

While the failures are manifold, Petry’s complete offensive impotence is probably THE single biggest reason for the Habs’ miseries. Everything depended on him continuing the strong play of recent seasons. Instead he’s fallen off a cliff. He’ll be 34 in December; this reminds me a little bit of when Plekanec aged out - suddenly the team had no top-6 C and the entire franchise cratered. Much the same way, with Petry evaporating, the team has not a single legitimate puck-moving D-man and is duly cratering. In both cases, we had years to prepare for the inevitable and did nothing. 

17 hours ago, dlbalr said:

That was disheartening to watch.  Down one going into the 3rd and that's the best they can muster up?  No attention to detail offensively or defensively (Gallagher was practicing the ole defensive tactic as the period went on), no hustle, no intensity, no interest whatsoever.  If you claim to be a team interested in accomplishing something, that's inexcusable.  I generally don't like the idea of a trade for the sake of merely shaking things up but I think it could actually be beneficial here as clearly, this group on its own doesn't seem to be all that interested in trying right now.

Completely agreed

one of the few times in a

long time I regret wasting the time to watch a game 

15 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Of the players that are actually dressing for the games, my concerns are primarily:

• Petry -- for the reasons you outline
  • Caufield -- is there a book on him already? Are our expectations totally unrealistic?
  • Suzuki -- what's dragging him down? He's not a scoring machine but I an xGF% below 40 is well below what he did last year
  • Romanov -- I am mostly concerned about the long term, will he recover last season's form?

Allen is not near the top of my list.

Of your list, I believe the expectations on Caufield are too high. 
The loss of Danault is weighing down Suzuki with extra defensive responsibilities

he was sharing the load last season and did well, bit it seems it is affecting his game this season. That and the responsibility of being expected to carry the offensive production

rigjt now, I like Niku’s play more than Romanov’s; he needs to learn better English, probably trading for a Russian speaking D to play with him would be best: like Markov did for Emelin

Petry is playing like he was playing before Edmundson got here. 

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Fire the coach.

Way too early for that. That would have minimal effect. They are missing Price, Weber, Danault, Edmundson, Perry plus they over achieved last year providing higher expectations for this year plus a bit of a hangover from making it to the final last year plus other teams are getting up for them a bit more.  It's almost like the perfect storm for things to go wrong. 

We will just have to suck it up this year, hopefully the kids develop in a positive direction and kill it at the draft with hopefully some extra picks. Start fresh next year. Firing the coach is not the answer. They just aren't good enough this year!

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Way too early for that. That would have minimal effect. They are missing Price, Weber, Danault, Edmundson, Perry plus they over achieved last year providing higher expectations for this year plus a bit of a hangover from making it to the final last year plus other teams are getting up for them a bit more.  It's almost like the perfect storm for things to go wrong. 

We will just have to suck it up this year, hopefully the kids develop in a positive direction and kill it at the draft with hopefully some extra picks. Start fresh next year. Firing the coach is not the answer. They just aren't good enough this year!

Is it too soon to fire the coach? Considering that we fired Therrien last season, yes.

However, even if we grant that we’re just a bad team, there is no reason a bad team cannot play cohesive, focused, hard-working hockey. A lot of posters on here have complained, and rightly so, that the team looks disjointed and appears at time to have no system at all. That kind of thing is not the result of a lack of talent. It’s coaching.

We seem right now to have the worst of all possible worlds: an inadequate lineup plus inadequate coaching. 

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Is it too soon to fire the coach? Considering that we fired Therrien last season, yes.

However, even if we grant that we’re just a bad team, there is no reason a bad team cannot play cohesive, focused, hard-working hockey. A lot of posters on here have complained, and rightly so, that the team looks disjointed and appears at time to have no system at all. That kind of thing is not the result of a lack of talent. It’s coaching.

We seem right now to have the worst of all possible worlds: an inadequate lineup plus inadequate coaching. 

Presumably Ducharme had a system to get them to the final last year?  Did he just abandon the system or did the players forget?  Any system works better when you have your #1 goalie and not missing 2 of your top 4 defenceman.  Are Suzuzki and Caulfield both scoreless after 9 games because of coaching?  I don't think so. 

I am very disappointed with this team, and even if I usually find a positive or spin banalities into positive comments... I have trouble finding anything good to say about the team.

but in all honesty, I think this team should be let to play through the year, learn form it and get better. The Price/Petry window is now probably closed, so it is time to build for the next window for which we do not have a solid core or a decent goalie.

Firing either or all of Bergevin, Ducharme, Timmins will not accomplish enything more than fuel the talk shows and sell advertisement on forums. It will not improve the team in the short time.

===

That being said, I still want to see Romanov, Niku, Suzuki get better as the season continues. I want to see Hoffman, Anderson, Toffoli score in bunches. I want to see the Laval Rocket have a great development season.

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Presumably Ducharme had a system to get them to the final last year?  Did he just abandon the system or did the players forget?  Any system works better when you have your #1 goalie and not missing 2 of your top 4 defenceman.  Are Suzuzki and Caulfield both scoreless after 9 games because of coaching?  I don't think so. 

He did and wwe all saw how well it worked.

Half the team turned ofer, we are at where we were when they fired Julien. It took weeks before the team gelled

30 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am very disappointed with this team, and even if I usually find a positive or spin banalities into positive comments... I have trouble finding anything good to say about the team.

but in all honesty, I think this team should be let to play through the year, learn form it and get better. The Price/Petry window is now probably closed, so it is time to build for the next window for which we do not have a solid core or a decent goalie.

Firing either or all of Bergevin, Ducharme, Timmins will not accomplish enything more than fuel the talk shows and sell advertisement on forums. It will not improve the team in the short time.

===

That being said, I still want to see Romanov, Niku, Suzuki get better as the season continues. I want to see Hoffman, Anderson, Toffoli score in bunches. I want to see the Laval Rocket have a great development season.

Agreed, I just think this will be one of those years where it won't be much fun to be a Habs fan.  Hopefully the young guys develop and there will be some positives but the focus needs to be on down the road. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

That was the same problem in the Stanley cup finals and was never address in the off season. 

15 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I tend to agree, but Gally has a pretty firmly-established rep around the league and there may be a few GMs who will be tempted by it. Trading him now is nuts, but at the deadline? There might be a chance ...

I expect the Habs ultimately may have to retain $2-2.5M to make a Gallagher deal ... perhaps also take on a short-term (1-2 more years) bad contract 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed, I just think this will be one of those years where it won't be much fun to be a Habs fan.  Hopefully the young guys develop and there will be some positives but the focus needs to be on down the road. 

as long as we do not get another 3rd overall pick that will bail in 3 years on an offer sheet :flaming:

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He did and wwe all saw how well it worked.

Half the team turned ofer, we are at where we were when they fired Julien. It took weeks before the team gelled

He did ... but that was a PLAYOFF system that depended on the defence literally locking down the opposition AND Price playing better than he had in the regular season since 15/16 ... not certain it would have worked even if everyone was back.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

He did ... but that was a PLAYOFF system that depended on the defence literally locking down the opposition AND Price playing better than he had in the regular season since 15/16 ... not certain it would have worked even if everyone was back.

A fair point. But right now it's not that the system isn't working, it's that the players aren't playing the system.

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

A fair point. But right now it's not that the system isn't working, it's that the players aren't playing the system.

I agree ... but the initial question in the string of posts was about DD's system