Game #10 Halloween special Habs vs Ducks 4:00 est

DON

I don’t think this team isn’t even going to get the 78 points that I optimistically thought they would get.

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It was a good thing MB made the pick top 10 protected, maybe he had an inkling it would be a tough year. 

Would have been better keeping the 1st and 2nd altogether.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Would have been better keeping the 1st and 2nd altogether.

I agree but MB had no choice, after losing KK and Danault he had no choice but to get a centre. He would have been absolutely roasted for not getting a centre and would have given Ducharme no chance. Or match the offer. 

19 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree but MB had no choice, after losing KK and Danault he had no choice but to get a centre. He would have been absolutely roasted for not getting a centre and would have given Ducharme no chance. Or match the offer. 

He needed to significantly improve the D.

instead he wasted money on Hoffman (puts up numbers, but his team his teams do zilch), and another bottom pairing dman in Savard. Without improving the D, and than losing Price, we were done before the season started.

To be honest, I thought the Habs deserved better tonight. Lots of chances, and - although I don’t know how the stats check out - I thought they were the better team 5-on-5 by some distance. Evans made a difference, and Drouin and Armia had quite strong games overall.

Like Poulin said, you have to put some of those glorious chances in the net. 

It’s an effort to build on, despite the L. Not that I have much faith in them to do so.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He needed to significantly improve the D.

instead he wasted money on Hoffman (puts up numbers, but his team his teams do zilch), and another bottom pairing dman in Savard. Without improving the D, and than losing Price, we were done before the season started.

There was no chance Hamilton was coming to Montreal and not certain there was anyone else in free agency that could have helped ... a reasonable chance that Habs where on Seth Jones' NTC list ... not certain who else he really had a shot at that would have made a difference that wouldn't have taken more picks&prospects than most Habs fans would be willing to give up.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

There was no chance Hamilton was coming to Montreal and not certain there was anyone else in free agency that could have helped ... a reasonable chance that Habs where on Seth Jones' NTC list ... not certain who else he really had a shot at that would have made a difference that wouldn't have taken more picks&prospects than most Habs fans would be willing to give up.

And if we end up in another reset/retool, Hoffman actually has trade value at deadline. And he cost us nothing except cap space.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

To be honest, I thought the Habs deserved better tonight. Lots of chances, and - although I don’t know how the stats check out - I thought they were the better team 5-on-5 by some distance. Evans made a difference, and Drouin and Armia had quite strong games overall.

Like Poulin said, you have to put some of those glorious chances in the net. 

It’s an effort to build on, despite the L. Not that I have much faith in them to do so.

I agree that they deserved better.  It seemed as if they were pushing the play in the 3rd.  Good sign for the 2nd day of a back-back.  The sign of the end of a losing streak is losing a game they shouldn't.

Sort of off-topic, but is anyone else getting tired of the stick under the arm hooking calls?  Anaheim got caught trying to draw one of these by squeezing the arm on the stick in the body.  There's a fine line in those situations between a hook and a holding the stick, I think something should be done about it.  Maybe call both most of the time?

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

That was absolutely stoppable.  He was way too slow reacting to the pass which is why the net was so empty.  Besides, Lettieri didn't shoot it to the empty net, he nearly hit Montembeault in the process.

You're right, and I had to see numerous angles of that goal to figure out what happened. 

Lettieri was in a great shooting position to bury it into the open net, but he basically shot it right at Montembeault on the upper left side of the net.  That goal really shouldnt have been possible from that angle. 

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Lettieri was definitely lost in coverage.

I do think Florida will take Montembeault back.  They only have three goalies under contract which is definitely on the low side.  They didn't make a move to replace him so they're banking on getting him back.

I dont find him to be very talented, but Flor would need a 4th goalie - so that would make sense.  Montembeault might be ahead of Primeau right now, but I'm pretty sure Primeau will be a better Goalie.  

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Agree 100%, top 4 defenceman with a lot of years left are hard to find and you almost always end up over paying. .  

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

We have a lot of wingers. Move wine if them. Move a Gallagher, or hell even Taffoli. Overpay a team if you have to, but we need better dmen.

48 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree 100%, top 4 defenceman with a lot of years left are hard to find and you almost always end up over paying. .  

Make a trade and overpay if you have to. try and get a Fowler from Anaheim, he’ll, I’d even have been okay rolling the dice on a guy like Ekman-Larsson (overpaid, but still relatively young, and is a SKILLED dman). If you have a big hole, you fill that hole. We’ve pretty much had a hole since Markov left that has never been filled. We have an abundance of wingers. That’s not where our money should be going.

• Upvote 1

People semi-excuse Bergevin’s inability to replace Markov by saying “it’s hard to get a top-4 defenceman.” That’s true. The Habs had one; he was called Mikhail Sergachev. And Bergevin threw him away. Just saying.

We’re 6 points out of the playoffs right now. Not an insurmountable deficit in an 82-game season.

If I wanted to be optimistic about it, I would emphasize that they actually played pretty well last night and that, between that and the SJ game, two of their last three have been solid efforts. It’s also been revealed that Gally and Petry have been playing through injuries, which buys them a little bit of leeway for terrible performances. 

But I don’t think a team with this D is going to make the dance. 

Assuming Petry is back soon, and we'll have Edmundson shortly, this will help the situation. Savard has been improving, and Kulak/Niku have actually been playing well. Maybe Romanov should get a month in Laval to max out his ice time and boost his confidence?

Still have not found my usual positive outlook on the Habs.

Wearing the Kotkaniemi avatar makes want to blow up the team, fire all the bums and give all fans a $20 credit at the Bell shot to buy a pin, a pen, or a puck... ‘cause that is how inflated prices are for anything Habs

:flaming:

14 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

You're right, and I had to see numerous angles of that goal to figure out what happened. 

Lettieri was in a great shooting position to bury it into the open net, but he basically shot it right at Montembeault on the upper left side of the net.  That goal really shouldnt have been possible from that angle. 

I dont find him to be very talented, but Flor would need a 4th goalie - so that would make sense.  Montembeault might be ahead of Primeau right now, but I'm pretty sure Primeau will be a better Goalie.  

I was doing yesterday's postgame so I had my paper and clipboard for notes (I'm old school that way) and originally had it like you did - not stoppable.  It was only after a few replays that I saw how slow Montembeault's reaction was and how bad Lettieri's shot really was.

Here's a scenario that I could see happening on the waiver front.  Florida reclaims Montembeault when Price comes back and as long as they're the only team to put in a claim, they can send him to the minors.  Once that happens, he's then traded back to Montreal for McNiven.  The Habs can then assign him to Laval and McNiven gets the fresh start that he's looking for while Florida saves some money on the AHL salary front while still adding goalie depth.  I agree that Primeau will be the better goalie but he's better off seeing minutes in Laval than playing once every three weeks with the Habs.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

... Primeau will be the better goalie but he's better off seeing minutes in Laval than playing once every three weeks with the Habs.

I agree ... but am less and less confident about Primeau's future

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We’re 6 points out of the playoffs right now. Not an insurmountable deficit in an 82-game season ...

Its now 72 games to make up those points ... and Habs have played more games than any of the teams between them and a wildcard spot, in many cases 2 or 3 more ... and it is reasonable to expect that some of those teams (e.g., TBL, TO, BBs, NYI and the Pens) will have a much better chance to make the playoffs.

Just now, GHT120 said:

Its now 72 games to make up those points ... and Habs have played more games than any of the teams between them and a wildcard spot, in many cases 2 or 3 more ... and it is reasonable to expect that some of those teams (e.g., TBL, TO, BBs, NYI and the Pens) will have a much better chance to make the playoffs.

Oh, I agree completely. A bubble team cannot go through horrendous 10-game stretches and expect to come out smiling. If we make the playoffs, I will be very pleasantly surprised.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Here's a scenario that I could see happening on the waiver front.  Florida reclaims Montembeault when Price comes back and as long as they're the only team to put in a claim, they can send him to the minors.  Once that happens, he's then traded back to Montreal for McNiven.  The Habs can then assign him to Laval and McNiven gets the fresh start that he's looking for while Florida saves some money on the AHL salary front while still adding goalie depth.  I agree that Primeau will be the better goalie but he's better off seeing minutes in Laval than playing once every three weeks with the Habs.

My personal guess (no inside knowledge) is that we won't see Price in a game until the new year.

Montembeault and McNiven have performed similarly at the AHL level, but Primeau hasn't really been all that much better there, either. Maybe a credible NHL starter yet, but I have a hard time seeing him as the next one in the long lineage of Habs goalie greats.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

My personal guess (no inside knowledge) is that we won't see Price in a game until the new year.

Montembeault and McNiven have performed similarly at the AHL level, but Primeau hasn't really been all that much better there, either. Maybe a credible NHL starter yet, but I have a hard time seeing him as the next one in the long lineage of Habs goalie greats.

The Laval Rocket seems to be playing much more structured game this year. Level seems strong and that will probably help both goalies have a better season this year