If we were to throw in the towel ...

tomh009

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

And they have less than a 20% probability of getting him, even if they finish dead last. There are no guarantees with tanking.

true ... but drafting third (the lowest the team with the worst record can select) in a VERY GOOD/GREAT draft year (as this year and next year are said to be) certainly increases the odds of success in drafting ... Habs had the third pick in a horrible draft (Galchenyuk) and an at-best average draft (only obviously better options at this point were Thachuk and Hughes).

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

And they have less than a 20% probability of getting him, even if they finish dead last. There are no guarantees with tanking.

Habs are finishing 23rd, so will likely pick 9th and basically 0% chance of #1 pick. 

34 minutes ago, DON said:

Habs are finishing 23rd, so will likely pick 9th and basically 0% chance of #1 pick. 

I am curious, any reason you say 23rd?  

That would place them 10th, not 9th, if nobody below them in the lottery wins one of the two draws ... bad news would be that there is then no guarantee that the Habs will draft in top 10 and protect their first round pick from Arizona ... a lower lottery team could leapfrog them unless the habs also win one of the lottery draws

12 hours ago, DON said:

Is what i called in prediction thread, so assume is what will be.:)

Consistency and confidence are admirable traits

• 2 weeks later...

About the progress on the current reset :

53 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Only if they all play like legit top 6 forwards, top 4 defencemen and a legit starting goalie ... by "legit" I mean of a quality fitting that role on a team that doesn't need everything to go just right to make a wildcard playoff spot

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Only if they all play like legit top 6 forwards, top 4 defencemen and a legit starting goalie ... by "legit" I mean of a quality fitting that role on a team that doesn't need everything to go just right to make a wildcard playoff spot

Yeah, exactly.

In the first place, a garbage team with a dearth of talent and lots of injuries is calling up kids: this hardly proves that they have a great developmental system. Possibly it proves the reverse.

In the second place, the future depends on *impact* prospects. Not just warm bodies who can take a  regular shift. 

Finally: if these players evolve into impact players, then far from being grouchy, I will be delighted. But we are a loooooong way from that point, and as far as I know none of those guys are sure things to become top-6 FWs or top-4 D. 

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

There’s a difference between having kids that legitimately belong in the lineup, and throwing kids you’ve drafted the lineup, that aren’t ready because the team sucks, or because of injuries and crap play by the guys you traded for and signed to stupid deals.

Premieau is not an NHL goaltender, and may never become a starter.  Romanov looks like he belongs in the AHL, but is still young enough to hopefully become a middle pairing dman. Poehling has been better in a couple of games, but looks like he still belongs in the AHL. Norlinder didn’t look as bad as the other dman, but that’s like saying Buffalo isn’t as bad as Phoenix. Hopefully he becomes a middle pairing dman, but hasnt even shown that he will be a bottom pairing dman yet.

Only legit home drafted elite prospect is Caufield.  

phoenix and Buffalo have as many or more draft picks in their lineup. Doesn’t mean they have done a good job drafting and developing either. If anything, Buffalo at least has more hope considering some of their picks and prospects than we do, and may actually be better than us next year.

that tweet is probably the most moronic tweet I’ve seen about the habs drafting and development. It’s been horrible, and an embarrassment. The Bruins have had low to mid picks, but while screwing up a lot of picks, theyve still managed to draft and develop elite players as well. We only have Caufield who MAY become one.

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Haters gotta Hate 👻

And the delusional are seeing gold in what is clearly straw.

That's a humorous take from Grant, given the only reason they are in the lineup is because Edmundson, Hoffman, Perreault, Byron, Weber, Price, Allen, Paquette are injured. They are not in the lineup because they have wowed and deserved a "merit" call up.

So the Habs had 5 "drafted and developed between 2017-2019" players in the lineup, and they lost 6-0. At this point, I'd prefer waiver fodder in the lineup, and the drafted kids get developed in the AHL, where they should be.

9 minutes ago, huzer said:

That's a humorous take from Grant, given the only reason they are in the lineup is because Edmundson, Hoffman, Perreault, Byron, Weber, Price, Allen, Paquette are injured. They are not in the lineup because they have wowed and deserved a "merit" call up.

So the Habs had 5 "drafted and developed between 2017-2019" players in the lineup, and they lost 6-0. At this point, I'd prefer waiver fodder in the lineup, and the drafted kids get developed in the AHL, where they should be.

I agree with you.

You know, at first blush that looks like an impressive list of injuries which might explain why the Habs are so terrible. The problem is, Weber is probably done forever, so counting him as “injured” is disingenuous. Byron is also injury-prone and washed-up. Paquette and Perreault are basically warm bodies to eat bottom-line minutes.

In terms of actual impact players, we are missing Edmundson and Hoffman and the two goalies. Still significant, especially in net, but then again we still sucked when Allen was dressing. Nobody should kid themselves that this team sucks because of injuries alone. (Not saying you’re doing that, huzer- I’m just making the point).

Next game is the 20th.

Like Grant said on his tweet, 5 drafted players were in the lineup. Which irked the veterans the wrong way because they know that management has thrown the towel into the rink and is asking for mercy. There was no reason to play all the prospects if not to see were they are before tearing down the team.

25% of the season almost done, 63 games to go. Time for a wet towel whip fight :ph34r: to see who stays and who goes

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Next game is the 20th.

Like Grant said on his tweet, 5 drafted players were in the lineup. Which irked the veterans the wrong way because they know that management has thrown the towel into the rink and is asking for mercy. There was no reason to play all the prospects if not to see were they are before tearing down the team.

25% of the season almost done, 63 games to go. Time for a wet towel whip fight :ph34r: to see who stays and who goes

Yeah, well - if the vets don’t like it, all they had to do was not suck absolute ass for the entire season so far. Poor babies.

13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Like Grant said on his tweet, 5 drafted players were in the lineup. Which irked the veterans the wrong way because they know that management has thrown the towel into the rink and is asking for mercy.

And what outstanding veterans should they have dressed instead of the 5 drafted players?  They have some injuries right now which means they have to give some younger guys a chance.  This team is just not good enough as is. It has nothing to do with veterans being irked because they dressed some younger guys.  Veterans were given a chance when they were rookies. They get that part. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree with you.

You know, at first blush that looks like an impressive list of injuries which might explain why the Habs are so terrible. The problem is, Weber is probably done forever, so counting him as “injured” is disingenuous. Byron is also injury-prone and washed-up. Paquette and Perreault are basically warm bodies to eat bottom-line minutes.

Right, the team was poor prior to losing our 4th liners, and it's still poor. My point basically being a reporter waving a banner of "look at the prospects!", when ultimately, they aren't any better than the low level fruit they are replacing. Whoop-d-doo, we had warm bodies we can call up as injury fill ins. Plan the parade!

As far as throwing in the towel, consider the towel thrown in. Nothing left to do but ride this dumpster fire of a team to a (hopeful) good draft pick. I've been a Habs fan since the late 70s and suffered through the Houle years like many others. But really, this period of ineptitude can't even be considered the Houle years anymore. it's been 28 years of nothing but glimmers of hope every few years, and long periods of darkness. This current crop of players is a rudderless ship.

Just going to be another bubble team and draft pick year. Only difference is pick is looking better for the Phoenix coyotes. Bergevin is going to do the samethings he always does wait it out till Price gets back. When Price comes back he gives us just enough wins to knock us out of the lottery pick. So Coyotes will be getting a good pick from 11-20 which is where I see the habs finishing up. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Next game is the 20th.

Wideman and Niku were the healthy scratches. So if vets were supposedly "irked" (which is completely just a guess on your part), what, did they want Niku and Wideman in and roll the team with 10 forwards and 8 d? Or maybe they're mad Caufield was in and Belzile was returned to Laval? 

49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, well - if the vets don’t like it, all they had to do was not suck absolute ass for the entire season so far. Poor babies.

dropping Gallagher to the third line, for the "coronation" of Caufield as the team's top RW certainly was a message to the team that no one is safe and to expect a sell-off of veterans

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

dropping Gallagher to the third line, for the "coronation" of Caufield as the team's top RW certainly was a message to the team that no one is safe and to expect a sell-off of veterans

Gallagher has 3 goals in 18 games this year (1 in an empty net) and had 2 goals in 22 playoff games last year. That is not 1st line material and perhaps he needs a wake up call.  I love the guy but he is not producing.  He was also a drafted player. 

11 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Just going to be another bubble team and draft pick year. Only difference is pick is looking better for the Phoenix coyotes. Bergevin is going to do the samethings he always does wait it out till Price gets back. When Price comes back he gives us just enough wins to knock us out of the lottery pick. So Coyotes will be getting a good pick from 11-20 which is where I see the habs finishing up. 

Not looking better for the Coyotes, Habs will finish bottom 10 which means they will get Carolina's pick, likely the far end of the 1st round.  I think Bergevin is pretty smart and realizes the team is not going anywhere this year and will resist the temptation to make the team slightly better.  We need that top 10 pick. It is REBUILD time. 

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Debbie downer chiming in again, so for the Habs to finish between 11-20, you expect them to post an above 500 record the remainder of the year? Going back to the last full season, teams that finished in the 11-20 spot were above 500 (including the OT loser point). To get to about 83 points, which would be the 11th spot in 2018-2019, the Habs will have to go something along the lines of 35-25-3 over their last 63 games. Picking 20th means they're in the playoffs and finish the year at a 42-18-3 rate (97pts).

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

And what outstanding veterans should they have dressed instead of the 5 drafted players?  They have some injuries right now which means they have to give some younger guys a chance.  This team is just not good enough as is. It has nothing to do with veterans being irked because they dressed some younger guys.  Veterans were given a chance when they were rookies. They get that part. 

Our problem is we have a lot of garbage veterans - particularly on the blueline and the depth centres that were brought in. Our blueline is horrible - even with Edmondson returns, and is probably bottom 3 to 8 in the league. Centre bottom 8. Now both goalies being paid around $13m-14m to hide the defensive garbage are also out.

The question is why have so much fringe players that we have to force kids into that lineup???  Becuase that’s who bargain bin Bergevin signs and trades for, when he isn’t overpaying depth dmen.