Caufield sent to Laval, Pezzetta recalled

dlbalr

Surprises me a bit inasmuch as CC was getting good chances, just not producing. With a young player that can go either way - either the logjam breaks and they get hot, or they can lose confidence and start to evaporate. Probably a good idea to let Caufield go back down and get his mojo back *before* his confidence really dissipates.

If I understand Pezetta’s profile correctly, he projects as a bottom-6 guy at best. Good to give him a taste, I suppose, and who knows, maybe he can continue his hot hand for a few games in the Show.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If I understand Pezetta’s profile correctly, he projects as a bottom-6 guy at best. Good to give him a taste, I suppose, and who knows, maybe he can continue his hot hand for a few games in the Show.

Bottom-six is generous.  He's a 12th forward at best in terms of upside.  He has two skills - fighting and taking dumb penalties.  He earned the recall with strong play and has held his own on a checking line this year which is promising but there's a reason he barely got off the fourth line the last three years (including being a healthy scratch at times).

• Upvote 1

Just now, Habsfan89 said:

Here we go again........Latendresse.......galchenyuk.....

..Kotkaniemi........ Now Caufield. 

Organization has no clue on how to develop players the right way. 

Premature to conclude that we are also screwing up Caufield, but the concern is understandable.

When we brought up CC in the first place, I was skeptical, but hopeful that he could ride a wave of rookie enthusiasm into a few productive playoff games. In fact, his spurt lasted 2-3 rounds. But some sort of regression was highly likely, despite the feeling that CC might be a special player who breaks the normal rules.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Premature to conclude that we are also screwing up Caufield, but the concern is understandable.

When we brought up CC in the first place, I was skeptical, but hopeful that he could ride a wave of rookie enthusiasm into a few productive playoff games. In fact, his spurt lasted 2-3 rounds. But some sort of regression was highly likely, despite the feeling that CC might be a special player who breaks the normal rules.

Same pattern over and over 

We keep rushing these kids in the line up because of lack of depth and failed  plan to add that depth through free agency or trade. So when these players struggle we send them down.  We do this to them for a good year or two then give up and trade them for another struggling player. 

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Same pattern over and over 

Galchenyuk and Latendresse weren't sent down and Kotkaniemi only had a few games.  If anything, this is a departure from the normal pattern of leaving them up there in the hopes that they figure it out eventually.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agreed. I think the best place fir him to be is Laval - assuming the new coach is good at developing and isn’t a Fxck up like Lefebve.

the team is a mess right now, a lot of negativity, no reason for Caufield to be part of that. Hell, if he is eligible, but hadnt signed his big extension, I’d be tempted to set Suzuki down, although he has played well enough to be with the team.

on the other hand, I think Romanov could definitely benefit from a stint in Laval. 

• Like 1

Laval has lots of veterans, he will be well taken care of

Pezzetta had a good camp and has been a dynamic player in Laval this year. I would prefer Pezzetta over Brooks on the 4th line

No WAY would I send Suzuki now. He is a big boy and needs to put his big boy pants on and figure it out, just like any other NHLer who is mired in a slump.

I agree on Romanov, though, who from what I can see has absolutely been the weakest link among our regular blueliners night in, and night out. It still gives me hives that two years ago he was universally acclaimed as our second-best prospect after Caufield. That is some scary sh*t, man.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Bottom-six is generous.  He's a 12th forward at best in terms of upside.  He has two skills - fighting and taking dumb penalties.  He earned the recall with strong play and has held his own on a checking line this year which is promising but there's a reason he barely got off the fourth line the last three years (including being a healthy scratch at times).

He’ll fit right in with this group taking dumb penalties.  

50 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No WAY would I send Suzuki now. He is a big boy and needs to put his big boy pants on and figure it out, just like any other NHLer who is mired in a slump.

I agree on Romanov, though, who from what I can see has absolutely been the weakest link among our regular blueliners night in, and night out. It still gives me hives that two years ago he was universally acclaimed as our second-best prospect after Caufield. That is some scary sh*t, man.

Yes. Suzuki should stay, Romanov should go to Laval (we have six D even without him, if we dare to play both Niku and Wideman in the same game).

35 minutes ago, DON said:

Hopefully Caufield takes this as opportunity to develop & approach it like Pacioretty did.

Absolutely

and I restate my views from the beginning of the season that rushing Caufield and expecting him to be a 30g scorer this season was premature and unrealistic

Go Caufield Go!!!!

Become the star you are meant to be in Laval!!!

Come back and be a force to be reckoned with!!!

Go Caufield Go!!!!

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

This season couldn't be going worse.

NEVER say that.

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

This season couldn't be going worse.

Shouldnt be a huge surprise; yes no one expected this bad a start; but, most didnt expect them to make the playoffs to begin with.

6 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

the team is a mess right now, a lot of negativity, no reason for Caufield to be part of that. Hell, if he is eligible, but hadnt signed his big extension, I’d be tempted to set Suzuki down, although he has played well enough to be with the team.

Suzuki is no longer waiver-exempt (this was the case before he signed the extension in case anyone's wondering) so a stint in Laval isn't an option for him.

A couple of notes:

1) A lot of people (not that they were experts) were surprised Pezzetta was sent down after his “strong” preseason with the Habs.

I personally thought he played well and wouldn’t be surprised to see him buzzing around the net a few times within the next few games. With that being said, one would expect things to return to the norm with him if he were to stay with the Habs for say, 20 games +.

2) Pezzetta’s Habs mugshot is similar to that of Brandon Tanev’s this year. 

Here’s to similar success.

EA43A399-A5BC-447E-A2A2-C6A21747BA33.jpeg
vs

8A283099-B9F5-4162-BFD6-CA5B3ECD0F98.jpeg

As for Caufield, he’ll be alright.

Everybody calm down...maybe, just maybe, getting CC out of the toxic cesspool of the 2021-22 Habs and putting him in a position where he can dominate again isn't a terrible thing..?

36 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Fire Ducharme

On a team with two legit centres, he puts Caufield on the third line after 4 periods of hockey (started in game 2 vs Buffalo) and then when he doesn't produce, sends him down.  So stupid. 

dare I suggest/ask... wrong thread ? 
😬

Edited by alfredoh2009