Caufield sent to Laval, Pezzetta recalled

dlbalr

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Fire Ducharme

On a team with two legit centres, he puts Caufield on the third line after 4 periods of hockey (started in game 2 vs Buffalo) and then when he doesn't produce, sends him down.  So stupid. 

I’d rather he be on Laval than the 3rd line. That’s pretty much what Maxpac said when he was on the 3rd/4th lines by Martin.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Everybody calm down...maybe, just maybe, getting CC out of the toxic cesspool of the 2021-22 Habs and putting him in a position where he can dominate again isn't a terrible thing..?

Totally agree. He needs to be a top line, or at least a top 6 player.

Similar when kk was sent down - I wasn't against it, but felt that the timing of it was wrong.  ex:  kk was in that fight, and it seemed to help turn the team around - and then he was sent down.   With Caufield it is unfortunate that he was sent down and then within 24 hrs its released that Price is on his way back.  

However, being sent down helped kk, he was a lot better when he was brought back up.  Hopefully, this will have the same affect of Caufield.  I fully imagine that Caufield will be brought back when Price is able to play in his 1st game.  i.e. Caufield will probably only be in Laval for 2 weeks or less.      

So, looking at iGF/60 vs ixGF/60 on 5v5 for individual players, prior to Detroit game. The biggest differences:

• Hoffman 1.29 vs 0.38 (scoring more goals than expected given his opportunities)
  • Perreault 1.42 vs 0.74
  • Drouin 0.87 vs 0.44
  • Suzuki 0 vs 0.43
  • Toffoli 0 vs 0.46
  • Caufield 0 vs 0.67
  • Gallagher 0 vs 0.68
  • Armia 0 vs 0.74
  • Lehkonen 0 vs 0.83 (ouch!)

The sample size is really too small to pay a lot of attention to ixGF. But there is no doubt about Hoffman's and Perreault's scoring. And zeroes are zeroes ...

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

So, looking at iGF/60 vs ixGF/60 on 5v5 for individual players, prior to Detroit game. The biggest differences:

• Hoffman 1.29 vs 0.38 (scoring more goals than expected given his opportunities)
  • Perreault 1.42 vs 0.74
  • Drouin 0.87 vs 0.44
  • Suzuki 0 vs 0.43
  • Toffoli 0 vs 0.46
  • Caufield 0 vs 0.67
  • Gallagher 0 vs 0.68
  • Armia 0 vs 0.74
  • Lehkonen 0 vs 0.83 (ouch!)

The sample size is really too small to pay a lot of attention to ixGF. But there is no doubt about Hoffman's and Perreault's scoring. And zeroes are zeroes ...

the way I understand those numbers is

iGF/60   = actual individual goals for per 60min

ixGF/60 = expected individual goals for per 60min

what I do not know if the 60 min is 60 minutes played or per game. since some players play 8 minutes and others play 16 min per game, I wonder if those numbers should be pro-rated to actual minutes played per game... :spamafote:

In this view, bottom-6 players like  Perreault, Armia, Lehkonen seem to have better expected numbers than top-6 forwards; which in my understanding points to Drouin, Suzuki, Toffoli, Caufield and Gallagher to be due for a streak

is that correct? or am I wrong?

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

what I do not know if the 60 min is 60 minutes played or per game. since some players play 8 minutes and others play 16 min per game, I wonder if those numbers should be pro-rated to actual minutes played per game... :spamafote:

In this view, bottom-6 players like  Perreault, Armia, Lehkonen seem to have better expected numbers than top-6 forwards; which in my understanding points to Drouin, Suzuki, Toffoli, Caufield and Gallagher to be due for a streak

I respect advanced stats…but I don’t pretend to understand them, LOL. Good questions!

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It's per 60 minutes of playing time, so it normalizes the numbers across players that get varying amounts of ice time. As you suggested!

And, yes, Lehkonen gets/generates quite a lot of scoring chances relative to his ice time, unfortunately he's not as good at finishing those and putting the puck in the net!

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Then play him on the top line.

There was no reason to take him off after less than 2 games.

Pacioretty had nearly 100 NhL games with like 10 goals when he was sent down.  Not the same situation imo.

Overreaction to Kotkaniemi blowback? Not that will hurt him one bit in the long run.

I really don’t understand this forum sometimes.  We spent the last 4 months adamant that all rookies are rushed to the NHL, stunting their growth.  They need to be in the AHL to develop.  

Caufield comes in in his rookie year, after a handful of games in the AHL, and struggles.  Suggesting he needs to be in the AHL for at least a stint.  And now we’re up in arms because he’s not in the NHL?

2 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I really don’t understand this forum sometimes.  We spent the last 4 months adamant that all rookies are rushed to the NHL, stunting their growth.  They need to be in the AHL to develop ...

Some were adamant, some didn't

2 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

... Caufield comes in in his rookie year, after a handful of games in the AHL, and struggles.  Suggesting he needs to be in the AHL for at least a stint.  And now we’re up in arms because he’s not in the NHL?

Some are up-in-arms, some aren't

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Some were adamant, some didn't

Some are up-in-arms, some aren't

If a player isn’t ready, he a go Ike he in the AHL. If a player like Caufield is struggling and is going to be playing on the bottom two lines, with limited time, he AHL I’lld be in the AHL.

I for one have complained in the habs constantly rushing kids before they are ready. And like the fact that Caufield is going to get more minutes end be in an offensive role in Laval than being a minion in Montreal. I think Romanov should also be in Laval.

having said that, I don’t have issues with those that argue that Caufield wansnt used properly (i.e. not being on or getting top line minutes), for a long enough period before being sent down. Maybe it wouldn’t have hurt to have given him a longer look with Suzuki, before sending him down. However, I see zero value playing a guy his age, who usually has played a lower number of games in college, with grunts and low minutes. I also don’t think that extra time in the AHL is going to hurt a player, while rushing one into the NHL and have him is struggle will probably hurt him long term.

does any one know what happened?

29 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

does any one know what happened? ... 

image.png

31 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That was funny :) 

why the need to apologize ? 

worse things are said on the ice 

Official social media accounts shouldn't be calling out players from other teams.  That was just someone being stupid.  Players can say things on the ice, sure, but some intern or staffer shouldn't be posting stuff like that on Twitter for all to see.  There's a big difference between the two.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Official social media accounts shouldn't be calling out players from other teams.  That was just someone being stupid.  Players can say things on the ice, sure, but some intern or staffer shouldn't be posting stuff like that on Twitter for all to see.  There's a big difference between the two.

No kidding. Between this garbage and Carolina’s trolling of the Habs, I’m tempted to ask WTF is going on these days with hockey teams.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No kidding. Between this garbage and Carolina’s trolling of the Habs, I’m tempted to ask WTF is going on these days with hockey teams.

It's all about standing out to get the likes on social media.  Teams see what Carolina, LA, and Vegas are doing and think they need to be more edgy to get more followers.  Even though Utica's account had to delete the tweet, I'm sure the person who posted it quietly got a pat on the back because look at all the attention they're getting now.

Like most low-end NHLers, Pezzetta has better hands than we might expect ... just can't actually use them in games 

BTW ... which of the habs defencemen is taking part in the drill ... looks familiar

Yes ... I do know it's a mannequin.