Game #11 Nov 2 2021 Habs vs Wings 4:00 EST

DON

image.jpeg

14th place Wings vs 30th place Habs; 1st game after road trip & game is at home both bad for winning.

Tale of the Tape

Canadiens Statistics Red Wings
2-8-0 Record 4-3-2
47.2% (24th) Scoring-chances-for % 45.5% (27th)
1.90 (30th) Goals per game 3.22 (11th)
3.40 (28th) Goals against per game 3.44 (30th)
11.1% (29th) PP% 15.2% (25th)
65.0% (30th) PK% 73.5% (24th)
1-0-0 H2H Record 0-1-0

Hopefully the habs play to the level of their competition
😉

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Hopefully the habs play to the level of their competition
😉

I just hope is a close entertaining game and Habs score a few, im not so worried who will win as it simply is not the Habs year it seems.

Curious to see how these lineup changes look on ice, new line combos.  

Slightly intrigued by: Drouin at centre, am I crazy to hope for a different result than previous attempts? 

side note: game is at 7:00 pm EST (or 19h EST) not 4:00 as stated in title.

Nice, Suzuki gets it going.  

46 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Curious to see how these lineup changes look on ice, new line combos.  

Slightly intrigued by: Drouin at centre, am I crazy to hope for a different result than previous attempts? 

Oddly, I want to see Drouin try C again too.  I think he might be a lot better at playing C now than the previous failed attempts.  He's older now and more mature, plus he's got his anxiety under control - those factors could make a huge difference.  It will be interesting to see how he responds.  

1 hour ago, DON said:

I just hope is a close entertaining game and Habs score a few, im not so worried who will win as it simply is not the Habs year it seems.

I remember this logic from the Houle years, LOL. I had to learn to watch and enjoy games without holding any real hope of the Habs winning. Time to dust off those skills.

23 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Nice, Suzuki gets it going.  

Oddly, I want to see Drouin try C again too.  I think he might be a lot better at playing C now than the previous failed attempts.  He's older now and more mature, plus he's got his anxiety under control - those factors could make a huge difference.  It will be interesting to see how he responds.  

He also isn't the #1 guy by a long shot.  He may do well as a second line center.  Honestly at this point, I'm fine with them trying anything.  Put Petry at center, I don't care, it's not going to be any worse than the previous 10 games.

I'm at work and can't watch, but I see from the scoresheet that Slick Nick has two points already.

I love the fact that he called himself out in the media, then went out and produced. 

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm at work and can't watch, but I see from the scoresheet that Slick Nick has two points already.

I love the fact that he called himself out in the media, then went out and produced. 

Shots are currently 23-13 for the Habs.  That should tell you alot.

32 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

He also isn't the #1 guy by a long shot.  He may do well as a second line center.  Honestly at this point, I'm fine with them trying anything.  Put Petry at center, I don't care, it's not going to be any worse than the previous 10 games.

There is really no down side of trying Drouin at C, and just imagine if that actually works out  - that could be huge if that happens.  i.e. I want to see Dvorak be their 3rd C, as per the 1 GM's comment that if he's your 3rd C you'd be playing for the Cup.  

23 minutes ago, Neech said:

Gally with a few clean looks at the net but can't buy one.  We need him to put some numbers up so the contract doesn't look like a complete disaster.  

Ya, he needs to start scoring, as does Armia - and he missed a great chance too.

38 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Dont understand why Pezzetta and Belzille get opportunity before Brooks.  Why did we claim him if we arent even gonna play him?

Well, for me, I'd guess that its Pezzetta's size.  The Habs sorta desperately need someone that is tough and can throw real punches.  The Habs have 1 of largest D cores in the NHL, but part of the problem is that none of them are capable of throwing a decent punch.

The concept of "built for the playoffs" should also include forwards.  ex:  TB won 2 Cups in a row, and Vegas has made it to the Cup and 3rd rnd numerous times.  Look at their rosters, you'll see they have several dmen that are similar size as the Habs.  However, they also have numerous forwards that are the same size as their d-men.  The Habs don't really have enough F's that are tough and the size of their d-men.  

Pezzetta has looked good

Habs are better than the Wings which says a lot about how that rebuild is working for Detroit

the team is playing much better within Duch’s system 

I know this is against Detroit. 

This is the closest I've seen them to last year's form so far this season.  breaking out, supporting the puck and getting shots.  This could be a fluke, but it's encouraging.

2 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

It seems like the Caufield demotion has shamed Suzuki into a better effort tonight...this is the best I've seen him look this season.

It's possible that they all feel bad about it.  They all say Caulfield has "it", and their overall crappy play has lead to their top prospect getting demoted.  That's probably a wake up call for all of them.  Its likely better to send Caufield down vs trading somebody to try to shake things up.  Trades are forever, but Caufield will be recalled at some point, and probably sooner than later.  

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wow, Detroit held to 3 shots in the 3rd. That’s promising. 

Hope Drouin is OK.

Bizarre night. Three shutouts so far.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Drouin took a puck to the face ...

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... Hope Drouin is OK.

At around 0:42 Anderson says he saw Drouin after the game (back from the hospital) and he seemed ok but will need to be further examined tomorrow

I’d note that between this, the Anaheim game, and the win in San Jose, the Habs have played three strong games out of four.

Dare we hope they are finding their way back to being a competitive team? NAAAAAAAH