Game #12 Nov. 4 2021 Isles vs Habs 7:00 pm

DON

29 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

How can it be that we have one forward line at -4 when we are playing at home and have the last change? The Nelson line (+3) is murdering those guys, why is Ducharme putting them on the ice together?

Because he’s a brutal NHL coach but hey like Savard he can speak French. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, 5 on 3, down by 4 with 4 mins to go.  Can they actually make this game interesting?  

Nice, now down by 3 with 3 mins left.  

Not that they were coming back but it got mildly interesting with the power play.  I liked the call for the timeout but if they were going to pull Montembeault, I think they'd have been better doing it once they first got established in the offensive zone, not the second time around with 30 seconds left in the advantage.

Positives - Suzuki producing and getting points 1 even if the game was over by than.

Negatives - Too tired to list, or copy pasting from earlier games.

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Not that they were coming back but it got mildly interesting with the power play.  I liked the call for the timeout but if they were going to pull Montembeault, I think they'd have been better doing it once they first got established in the offensive zone, not the second time around with 30 seconds left in the advantage.

I knew they weren't coming back, but like you said that 2nd PP made it slightly more interesting.  It would have been great if they had scored on it.  

They should probably stop pulling their goalie  - so far this season aren't they 100% at being scored on when their net is empty?  It seems like every time they've done that they get burned on it.  Have they even scored once with the extra man?  I could be wrong, but I don't believe that they have.  So far it appears like its a great way to make a bad game even worse.  

Montembeault actually played well though - I'd say that was his best performance yet.  

This team stinks, but we need to keep Ducharme around to secure a top pick.  Imagine drafting first overall in Montreal next summer, and the dawn of a new era of Suzuki and another top young C anchoring our lineup for the next 15 years.  Stanley Cup 2028 here we come!

I saw only snippets of the game, but it actually looked like the Habs were playing reasonably well, certainly not 5-0 badly (defensive lapses, though ...). 4-2 would not have been an unfair score.

But this team really has trouble putting the puck into the net when they have scoring chances. It's not just Lehkonen, either.

21 minutes ago, Neech said:

This team stinks, but we need to keep Ducharme around to secure a top pick.  Imagine drafting first overall in Montreal next summer, and the dawn of a new era of Suzuki and another top young C anchoring our lineup for the next 15 years.  Stanley Cup 2028 here we come!

So is that Bergevin plan then all along.... Get the first overall pick for the home crowd instead of a cup🤔

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Except that Jordie Benn never made more than $2m/yr

On ran 690, they compared Savard to Alzner

i was trying to be polite

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I saw only snippets of the game, but it actually looked like the Habs were playing reasonably well, certainly not 5-0 badly (defensive lapses, though ...). 4-2 would not have been an unfair score.

But this team really has trouble putting the puck into the net when they have scoring chances. It's not just Lehkonen, either.

Yes, for sure, and its so incredibly frustrating.  I agree with 3-2 game with an open netter for 4-2 final score.  You can't really blame anyone for numerous of those goals - there were several really good shots.  

I was shocked and proud of Suzuki in this game + Toffoli in the last game.  ex:  they both got control of the puck near the oppositions crease - and they didnt think to try to force the puck forward and jam it into the net; they both thought to move the puck backwards towards the blue line.   

I'd say that is their #1 issue with lack of goals, and it is by no means an issue from this year either - they've had this exact problem for quite a few years.  i.e.: think of all the times they have sustained pressure in the other teams end and the mad dashes around the other teams crease, where they seemingly have numerous really good scoring chances in the same sequence but way more often than not they don't score.  In almost all of those scenarios they are too close to the goal line.

Too bad we weren't in on Eichel since this season seems like its going to be a write-off, but our need on D is even greater. Pain for Shane, here we come! 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Thats what my comparable was when they signed Savard. I think Savard is slightly better than Alzner, but horrible contract and not at what we needed on D.

10 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Montembeault actually played well though - I'd say that was his best performance yet.  

Yeah, but that's not saying a whole lot considering he has only played two full games.  Still, with Price still being a few weeks away realistically at least (he's not exiting the assistance program and playing a few days later), they may need another game out of Montembeault so any improvement is ideal.

9 hours ago, tomh009 said:

They had some good moments.  That said, the Habs like to play around the outside and the Islanders like to let teams play around the outside so while they had some puck control and chances, they also played right into New York's game plan.

12 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

If this is what life without Price looks like..... I don't like it 😔😫

3 of the last 4 seasons have been "life without Price" (or at least without CAREY PRICE ... and that one season was at most Carey Price) even when he was in the line-up ... amongst goalies with at least 20 starts (or pro-rated for shorter seasons):

17/18 - .900 ... 51st in Sv% 

18/19 - .918 ... tied for 12th

19/20 - .909 ... tied for 31st

20/21 - .901 ... tied for 43rd

Sv% is not all on a goalie ... but when a goalie is below 30th they are nowhere near being a difference maker ... which is how this team g=has been built since MB took over ... try to build an average to decent team and pray for Price to make the difference

Those are indeed not impressive numbers. But if the team does make it to the playoffs, he has played significantly better. Regular season vs playoffs:

16/17 - .923 vs .933

19/20 - .909 vs .936

20/21 - .901 vs .924

But in that span, we missed playoffs twice (although Price did have a decent regular season in 18/19).

13 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I can't help but feel Savard was a French content move, along with Paquette and Perrault.  Bergy listened to the roar of indignation from the French media after that game where they had zero home content last season, and knee-jerked his way into yet another bad move. 

23 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I can't help but feel Savard was a French content move, along with Paquette and Perrault.  Bergy listened to the roar of indignation from the French media after that game where they had zero home content last season, and knee-jerked his way into yet another bad move. 

Don't disagree that was a plus for him ... but not certain there was a better UFA option on defence that the habs had a shot at.

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think Kulak was playing much better with Niku than he did last night with Savard.

He basically took out Savard chasing his man on goal #1 didnt he?

Sorry, just not a Kulak fan thats all, he is what he is at 28, 3rd pairing filler (which is fine), but might as well play a younger guy (NIku/Norlinder?), in a lost season that its looking like?

On 11/4/2021 at 8:49 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope they win back to back so that I can shed the KK avatar and go back to Mr Potato head

a lot riding on this game for me, it would mean the Habs have turned around their nose dive 

I would be more than happy if you changed your avatar back. Maybe it's just me but seeing a smiling KK is not something I enjoy. I don't like being reminded of KK, would prefer he didn't exist. Just sayin.