David Savard Fan Club

titanfan

We, the members of the David Savard Fan Club, ask Canadiens management to have the defenceman in the stands signing autographs at each game (home and away) for the remainder of the season.

That will keep him OFF THE ICE and give him a chance to earn at least some of the ridiculous contract he is signed to!

14 minutes ago, huzer said:

Meh, I don't blame Savard for being forced to play above where he should be slotted. 

Very true ... players are what they are ...depending on them to be more is poor management/coaching ... NO PLAYER is going to turn down money or playing-time

58 minutes ago, huzer said:

Meh, I don't blame Savard for being forced to play above where he should be slotted. 

This. 

I'm not a fan of demonizing players (see Patrice Brisebois). Savard may be a bad contract, he may be no better than a bottom-pairing guy; it is certainly fair to criticize him for poor play; but let's not slip into that nastiness like we as a fan base did to Brisebois and a few other players over the years.

This is true:

I just didn't expect him to be this slow and soft

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm not a fan of demonizing players (see Patrice Brisebois). Savard may be a bad contract, he may be no better than a bottom-pairing guy; it is certainly fair to criticize him for poor play; but let's not slip into that nastiness like we as a fan base did to Brisebois and a few other players over the years.

Or Alzner. We grossly overpaid him, but he worked hard and was a positive influence even in Laval. He just didn't have the skills (any more) at the level at which we chose to pay him. Not his fault.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

This is true:

I just didn't expect him to be this slow and soft

This.  I never expected him to be a Weber replacement, but I did expect him to be solidly average at least.  He's looked dowright bad so far.

Alzner's analytics were always a disaster.

Savard's are not great, but comparing him to Alzner isn't correct either.  He's been close to a league average defender... about a low-end #4/high-end #5 guy. Alzner wasn't an NHL player at any time after he signed in Montreal. 

One thing to keep in mind is that Edmundson didn’t look great early either, but gradually got more comfortable and evolved into the minutes-munching monster we miss from last season. I’m not saying that will happen with Savard, but yeah, he should be allowed a little more time to find his feet.

56 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One thing to keep in mind is that Edmundson didn’t look great early either, but gradually got more comfortable and evolved into the minutes-munching monster we miss from last season. I’m not saying that will happen with Savard, but yeah, he should be allowed a little more time to find his feet.

Good point.

I also think expectation for Savard are too high.

He was never that great and happened to get saddled with a piece of shit Kulak last game who played worst game yet and he has been trending downwards.

Coaches need to recognize that these pairs are not interchangeable and some

of these dmen need to sit.  Ouellette would be better than Kulak, Niku has looked better than Wideman.

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Alzner's analytics were always a disaster.

Savard's are not great, but comparing him to Alzner isn't correct either.  He's been close to a league average defender... about a low-end #4/high-end #5 guy. Alzner wasn't an NHL player at any time after he signed in Montreal. 

Yes, good point Savard would be acceptable if playong

in correct slot (third pair/PK) with a decent partner (not Kulak).

40 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Poor Kulak, LOL

He has his supporters and i think his analytics (was pointed to by someone) are flattering.

23 minutes ago, DON said:

He has his supporters and i think his analytics (was pointed to by someone) are flattering.

Don't need advanced analytics. The good old +/- can do:

Savard -8

Romanov -5

Kulak -1

Chiarot -1

Petry +0

Wideman +0

Niku +3

This doesn't consider the tougher matchups that Petry and Chiarot get, nor the PP that Petry, Niku and Wideman contribute to. But I still say that Kulak's play is not atrocious as some people make it to be. Yes, he is a bottom-pair D, but I think that with the right partner, he is a credible bottom-pair D that can also help move the puck.

3 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Good point.

I also think expectation for Savard are too high.

He was never that great and happened to get saddled with a piece of shit Kulak last game who played worst game yet and he has been trending downwards.

Coaches need to recognize that these pairs are not interchangeable and some

of these dmen need to sit.  Ouellette would be better than Kulak, Niku has looked better than Wideman.

totally disagree, Savard was so badly out of position and skating so poorly that he made Kulak vulnerable when Kulak had to cover the holes opened by Savard's poor play.

Savards tends to take risks in the offensive zone and does not have the speed to come back.

It is BS writing that Ouellet would be better than Kulak: reason why Oullet can be waived and Kulak cannot.

3 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

no more than Gustafsson. He i snot a physical denfender, he is not a good skater and he cannot clear the front of the net... and when he poke checks, he gets penalized !!!

Listen, I am a contract worker. If I totally bone my job and don't hold up my end of the deal I am in breach of the contract and can be terminated. Time for professional sports to start looking at that out. If you can't do the job you are paid to do at the level you were hired to do it, you are in breach of the contract and can lawfully have the contract terminated. 

I am absolutely sick of watching overpaid players not perform at the level they are paid to play at. 

If you hire a contractor to build a sunroom and he builds one with no windows, are you going to pay him? 

On 11/6/2021 at 10:52 AM, hockeyrealist said:

You must mean 3rd pairing in the ECHL? 

1 hour ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

I am absolutely sick of watching overpaid players not perform at the level they are paid to play at. 

If you hire a contractor to build a sunroom and he builds one with no windows, are you going to pay him? 

But, pro hockey is simply entertainment, pretty trivial stuff and should NOT ever be taken serious.

I’ve had contractors do projects in my house who did a cruddy job. Guess what? They still got paid.

Anyhow, the issue is not that player X or Y is not trying. This is such a silly trope, beloved of fans of a band team: the problem is the players don’t care, are spoiled and lazy, etc, and that’s why they suck!! Except that Savard is not going, “aaahhh, I’m not going to bother keeping that forward to the outside, that’s too much work - I’m just gonna let him blow by me and let him score on my team.”

The issue, rather, that he’s not good enough, at least not for the role we’re giving him. 

These players lead precarious lives and have short, precarious careers. If owners want to protect themselves from the Alzners of the world, then they just need to stop doling out stupid-ass contracts.

To MB’s defence: 

- the choices of quality UFA Ds available last summer dried up quickly 

- Savard was one of the better choices available

- Savard took a hometown discount

- not signing any UFA RD would have sent the message to Price and Petry that they would be stuck in a rebuilding team

- without seeing how bad Savard would play, and how long Edmundson would be unavailable. There was some hope

- Perry’s problems forced the team to rely too much on Savard

so, yeah he sucks; but at the time it was a sensible alternative short of a rebuild 

3 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Listen, I am a contract worker. If I totally bone my job and don't hold up my end of the deal I am in breach of the contract and can be terminated. Time for professional sports to start looking at that out. If you can't do the job you are paid to do at the level you were hired to do it, you are in breach of the contract and can lawfully have the contract terminated. 

So a complete restructuring of the fundamental tenant of the CBA with the NHLPA?

Will never happen ... trying to remove guaranteed contracts from the CBA would result in a work stoppage (be it the first strike since 1992 or another lockout) that would make the loss of the 2004-2005 season look like a love-in.

The problem is not overpaid players ... doubt many of us would turn down waayyy more than we are actually worth at whatever job we do if it was offered ... the issue is that the GMs/owners give too much money for the role the player is actually capable of filling ... unless the player went from a buzzsaw on the ice to a matador (waving everyone by) after the contract is signed it is not the players fault ... 

2 hours ago, DON said:

But, pro hockey is simply entertainment, pretty trivial stuff and should NOT ever be taken serious.

I work in entertainment. I guess I better stop taking it seriously, like security at a Texas concert.