Who would be your top choice in Montreal for our GM?

REV-G

22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Now, that would be good news for player safety ...

Unfortunately ... they will just hire another lackey to do Bettman and Daly's bidding ... the various "Heads" of the ridiculously misnamed  Department of Player Safety have not really done anything to make players safer ... doubt the next guy, whenever he comes on board, will be any different.

• Upvote 1

Not really a serious suggestion, but he might be a possibility.  i.e. of all the boxes that need to be ticked Luc Robitaille does meet a lot of the criteria.  He's worked in the Kings front office for a long time but no clue if he'd want to move or be a GM.  If he does the Kings dont seem to be grooming him for that position.  No idea if he'd want to switch teams, but not all GM's work for teams they played for.  

On 11/10/2021 at 8:49 PM, GHT120 said:

Entirely possible ... I did say ***may*** ... and was building on an earlier post suggesting that Madden was the likely next GM ... read somewhere that Solomon's executive experience is largely in contract negotiations, cap management and other administrative functions, but little if any on trades/drafting ... but, as when any vacancy opens up, the rumour mill is leaping into action:

It sounds like the Ducks might wait until the end of the season to make a decision as many of their candidates are under contract. Based on that, neither Madden nor Solomon is at the top of their list.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I think Robitaille is in the role he wants to have long-term.

Yeah, Can’t see him moving from LA to Montreal - despite their issues with the annual wildfires.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I think Robitaille is in the role he wants to have long-term.

Agree ... someone would have to be an idiot, a raging egomaniac or have a gun to his head to move from Team President to GM ... Presidents almost always have a much longer terms "in office".

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, Can’t see him moving from LA to Montreal - despite their issues with the annual wildfires.

He's also choosen to go the Business Operations Route rather than Hockey Ops. He's interested in the other side of the operation and so he's not really a GM candidate. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

If you want to go big name and big money, you talk to Pat Brisson. 

Hiring a big name agent as GM worked for the Avs with Pierre Lacroix, 

I would love them to pursue him ... but I believe I've read that he has turned down repeated opportunities to become, or be considered as a candidate for a position as, a GM ... think his name was even out there back when MB was first hired ... he was definitely on the list of candidates for the Pens job in 2014 but turned down the opportunity ... MAYBE he could be tempted by the President Hockey Operations position, which would give him more control and greater security.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

After giving this a little more thought I think I will go for Marc Bergevin. 

tumblr_p5d8os5uGT1wpo5m3o1_540.gif&ehk=q

• Upvote 1

Keeping with our recent history of bringing in players with troubled pasts, Steve Bowman comes to mind.

I don't dislike Bergevin and see his team built for a lottery pick this season as a sign of him doing a great job. 

Then again, I am back in the Caribbean this season and don't have to suffer through watching it. 

5 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Keeping with our recent history of bringing in players with troubled pasts, Steve Bowman comes to mind.

I don't dislike Bergevin and see his team built for a lottery pick this season as a sign of him doing a great job. 

Then again, I am back in the Caribbean this season and don't have to suffer through watching it. 

Who is steve bowman?  Do you mean Stan Bowman?  There is absolutely zero chance of Molson (or any other NHL team) hiring him in the immediate future.  Considerable time will need to pass before he gets any chance in the league.

If you think the Mailloux press was bad, this will be 100x worse.

A high school kid was raped by an adult because he didn't report the original sexual assault in 2010. 

On 11/5/2021 at 5:09 PM, Neech said:

I have no idea who the best candidates are out there, but it would be nice not to limit ourselves to French-speaking candidates with at least one of our next GM or coach.  The coach speaks to the media more often so let it be the GM.  Get Serge Savard or Brodeur as the president who can deal with public relations and a modern-thinking GM who will make us a top-class organization with a coherent developmental philosophy from the ground up.  I don't have much hope for this, unfortunately, as we are a backwards-facing organization with unrealistic standards based on our glorious history, and knee-capped by our singular language politics.

Neech, I agree with you, and said pretty much the same thing in the latest Habsworld podcast (#85).

18 hours ago, Commandant said:

Who is steve bowman?  Do you mean Stan Bowman?  There is absolutely zero chance of Molson (or any other NHL team) hiring him in the immediate future.  Considerable time will need to pass before he gets any chance in the league.

If you think the Mailloux press was bad, this will be 100x worse.

A high school kid was raped by an adult because he didn't report the original sexual assault in 2010. 

Stan, yes, and if you thought I was serious you are a loon. 

Am I the only one who doesn’t think MB is a bad GM?  He’s the best GM the team has had in the last 25 years.  His worse move was Sergachev for Drouin.  Made some really good moves in Petry for a 2nd for example.  Has some huge obstacles in Montreal with taxes and media attention that deters players.  

I firmly believe the weak link during his tenure is drafting.  I’m not aware at how much of that is on MB’s shoulders, so I’m refraining on judging him on that front.  I do believe if the drafting was a little better we wouldn’t be having this discussion right now.

41 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t think MB is a bad GM?  He’s the best GM the team has had in the last 25 years.  His worse move was Sergachev for Drouin.  Made some really good moves in Petry for a 2nd for example.  Has some huge obstacles in Montreal with taxes and media attention that deters players.  

I firmly believe the weak link during his tenure is drafting.  I’m not aware at how much of that is on MB’s shoulders, so I’m refraining on judging him on that front.  I do believe if the drafting was a little better we wouldn’t be having this discussion right now.

I do not hate him, and I do not think he is a "bad GM"

I believe he is above average and that he really cares about his players and what it means to build a team that can win a Stanley cup.

Bergevin has generally done very well in trading, the Sergachev-Drouin trade aside (and even that one might have been expected to be closer). Drafting, once you consider draft positions, is roughly league average. Yong player development has been the biggest weakness in my view.

We don't have many players on the roster that we drafted, but that is in large part due to the active trading.

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Bergevin has generally done very well in trading, the Sergachev-Drouin trade aside (and even that one might have been expected to be closer). Drafting, once you consider draft positions, is roughly league average. Yong player development has been the biggest weakness in my view.

We don't have many players on the roster that we drafted, but that is in large part due to the active trading.

I’m afraid I don’t understand what active trading has to do with drafted players on the roster.  Aside from Sergachev, MB hasn’t traded a good prospect without giving them a fair shake.  Let’s be honest, KK is, and may never be, worth $6m a season.