Who would be your top choice in Montreal for our GM?

REV-G

I can't see Gorton wanting to hire Roy given the disaster that was the Sakic/Sherman/Roy working group in Colorado, and Roy's history of not working well in a team of execs. 

I think Briere, Madden, Darche, Brodeur, Luongo, are the front runners on this one. 

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I can't see Gorton wanting to hire Roy given the disaster that was the Sakic/Sherman/Roy working group in Colorado, and Roy's history of not working well in a team of execs. 

I think Briere, Madden, Darche, Brodeur, Luongo, are the front runners on this one. 

From what I’m reading it seems as if it’s really between Darche and Madden.  

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I really would like to see Brodeur, I think he would do a great job. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I really would like to see Brodeur, I think he would do a great job. 

Based on what? His involvement selecting NJD’s third jersey? From what I read, he really has not had much involvement in the day to day. Not to say he couldn’t do a good job, but based on his body of work, there is nothing to suggest he Wilkins make a good GM.

Rejean Houle sold beer, was a great teammate, a good guy, but a lousy GM.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I agree ... the LAST thing Gorton wants is "interesting times".

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Of that grouping, I like Darche. I watched a couple interviews with him and he is a very bright guy. He has learned a lot working with Julian Brisebois down in Tampa and that is a great organization to learn from. Obviously Brisebois liked something about Darche to convince him to work for Tampa as Director of Hockey Operations. 

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Assuming their teams make Darche and Madden available to us. Although seems to be the usual practice ...

Unlike April/May it is hopefully early enough in the draft list prep and UFA planning for teams to not fear the Habs would get highly confidential information ... hard to know for certain as this type of change normally happens later in the season ... in the April/May timeframe the deal is often that if someone switches teams they can't work on the draft, or can't switch until after the draft.

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I had dismissed Madden before, but I heard about his experience and he seems to be a great fit 

There is a lot to like about Madden, I just wonder if he will be available given that Anaheim is looking for a GM and he has to be one of the leading candidates for that job. 

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Unlike April/May it is hopefully early enough in the draft list prep and UFA planning for teams to not fear the Habs would get highly confidential information ... hard to know for certain as this type of change normally happens later in the season ... in the April/May timeframe the deal is often that if someone switches teams they can't work on the draft, or can't switch until after the draft.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that angle and it would be awkward later in the year to hire someone with that kind of information. 

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There is a lot to like about Madden, I just wonder if he will be available given that Anaheim is looking for a GM and he has to be one of the leading candidates for that job. 

Given that Solomon got the interim assignment over Madden, and they are doing an external search, I don't think Madden is super high on their list.

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I've heard Daniel Briere as the top candidate. 

I am not sure why he would be the top candidate, has been running the ECHL team for the Flyers, no executive experience at the NHL level. It's a big jump from the ECHL to the NHL.  It doesn't mean he can't learn but I would think that Darche and Madden would be a step above. I guess everybody has a different opinion right now. 

47 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am not sure why he would be the top candidate, has been running the ECHL team for the Flyers, no executive experience at the NHL level. It's a big jump from the ECHL to the NHL.  It doesn't mean he can't learn but I would think that Darche and Madden would be a step above. I guess everybody has a different opinion right now. 

The ECHL team is owned by Briere and others, its not owned by the Flyers, but it is his group.  They are affiliated with the Flyers and are only given a handful of players from Philly. He's been working at learning all the business aspects of the league. 

As for why he's ahead of Darche and Madden, I'm not sure on the reasons why he would be ahead but he is doing more than you are giving him credit for here.   Part of this will be interviews though and you want someone who has the same team building philosophy and works well with gorton as that will be necessary for the front office to function effectively. 

34 minutes ago, Neech said:

Does it matter who the GM is? They'll be a figurehead with Gorton running the show. 

This person will have a big voice in decisions. They are also going to be groomed to succeed Gorton who is 53 and may do this for what, 5 years? 7 years? and then retire.... the goal (and of course it may not work out if the team doesn't have success) but the goal going into this is to hire someone who will be part of running the team for the next 15 years. 

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Part of this will be interviews though and you want someone who has the same team building philosophy and works well with gorton as that will be necessary for the front office to function effectively. 

100%, the interview will be a huge part of it as I really don't see a clear cut #1 candidate but I am on the outside looking in so I can only speculate. 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I like Danny B

Good for you, i dont know him or his GMing experience track record. 

Does he have any Mgmt experience, where he has done well?

I am hoping some non ex-NHLer francophone gets the gig. 

28 minutes ago, DON said:

Good for you, i dont know him or his GMing experience track record. 

Does he have any Mgmt experience, where he has done well?

I am hoping some non ex-NHLer francophone gets the gig. 

in 2015, he gave this interview to ESPN where he mentioned he would be interested:

https://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/39884/rumblings-is-daniel-briere-going-to-be-an-nhl-executive

in 2020, he gave this other interview where he shares how he has developed towards that goal:

https://www.markerzone.com/news/?29834

* Since 2015, with Flyers' front office

* In 2017, he was appointed to run the day-to-day operations of the ECHL's Maine Mariners

* He finished(?) a master's degree in business administration : "Wharton is to finance what Harvard Law School is to the legal field ," said Briere proudly.

So, yeah: he is definitely a candidate. From interviews as a player, he seemed honest, respectful, intelligent and always looking to improve himself.

I know from a friend that when at the rink in Gatineau watching one of his kids, we was approachable and didn't behave like a 🌵

I just went through the Ducks draft from 2010 to 2019 to see how it compared to Montreal's.

If Martin Madden had anything to do with that mess, I do not want him anywhere near the Habs. Timmins looks like a genius in comparison (which some may say he is).

Darche is a god consolation price, a business manager after hockey doing well in TBL.

My preference so far is:

* Danny B

* Darche

* <others>

* Madden

All the names being mooted are under-cooked except Madden, who actually has the profile of a guy who might be ready to be GM in the traditional sense. The trouble is, his actual track record suggests no particular gifts - more that he’s just another generic member in good standing of the NHL old boys’ club. 

Anyway, maybe the best thing for this role is that we NOT hire a “GM in the traditional sense.” If the guy is a tyro, that will eliminate any question about who the Alpha Manager is - Gorton - and postpone the danger of in-fighting and power struggles. So what we really want is an inexperienced guy with a sharp, promising hockey mind who can be mentored by Gorton and hopefully develop long-term loyalty to him, eventually succeeding him as Michael Corleone succeeded Vito. And seen in that light, it’d be a judgement call between the other names being mooted. (I have a good feeling about Luongo, myself, but the fact that Darche was scooped up by Tampa is probably a good sign).